Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdpoppe

Windows with a film or something

rdpoppe
17 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

We had a house built in late 2021 and the Pella windows all have some kind of film or something on them. When they get moisture on them they show these streaks where the "film" is. We have tried to clean them but it doesn''t go away. Pella has denied the warranty claim due to the windows being professionally cleaned.

Any ideas what this film is and how we get rid of it?

Comments (22)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

The water droplets are on the surface of the glass or between the layers?

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    17 days ago

on the outside surface

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    17 days ago

Educate me- those look like water droplets not a film. If it’s wet now what does it look like when dry?

rdpoppe thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • oberon476
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Was there an actual film on the glass that had to be removed when the windows were originally installed?

Are the windows, wood, fiberglass, or vinyl?

Can you actually feel something when you slide your hand over the glass?

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    17 days ago

The windows are Pella aluminum clad windows.

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here are the windows when they are dry. You cans see the streaks in them

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Oberon476 these are aluminum clad windows wood on the inside no film on the outside of the windows when installed and yes you can feel a drag when you rub them

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    16 days ago

No photo

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@HALLETT & CO. See the photo attched

• RoyHobbs
    15 days ago

The OP photos have no visible film. @rdpoppe your later photos did not come through. When you upload a photo, wait until the photo is no longer grayed-out before you hit submit.

• oberon476
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I asked about frame material because different products could have glass from different sources. Aluminum clad wood windows comes from Cardinal. Unlikely that the contamination originated there.

Cardinal offers a poly film on the glass to help protect it from construction dirt and debris, but I don't know offhand if Pella offers that option to their customers. It is possible for that film to leave residue behind if it's on the glass too long, especially in full sunlight, but it still takes months for that to happen.

Do you know what the window cleaners used on the glass? You might try something like goo gone to see if it removes whatever contamination might be there.

My personal favorite cleaner for hard to clean windows is called A1 Hardwater Stain Remover and it is available on Amazon. I have seen that stuff work on windows that others said were impossible to clean.

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@royhobbs and @oberon476 Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if it is a film or something etched the glass. I don't know what the cleaner used. I might have to have him come back and look at it. If you look at this photo you cna kinda see what I am talking about.

• oberon476
    14 days ago

is there a photo missing?

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I have tried about 3 times to add a photo it never shows up

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@oberon476 i cant get a photo to load can i have your email address to send you -.photo?

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    14 days ago

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

@oberon476 . I looked at it today and there is no film on the window. If you run your fingers across this you can feel your fingers drag where the stickiness or film is. This area is where dirt and dust seems to stick to the window. I will post some additional photos after this post. I probably have described the issue incorrectly. I you look at these photos they look like marks from rags/sponges or squegees.

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• oberon476
    13 days ago

Try goo gone and see what happens.

• rdpoppe
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Tried goo gone and didn’t notice any improvement. if you look at this photo you can see what i am describing

• oberon476
    11 days ago

Much better view, can see it this time. Do most/all of your windows have these marks? It reminds me of duct tape residue, but that's just a thought.

My next suggestion is trying A1 along with scotch brite pads to see if they can remove whatever it is.

https://www.amazon.com/1-Hardwater-Stain-Remover-Pint/dp/B077Y1WD9M

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Non-Scratch-Scour-Pads-3-Pads/dp/B0196H6TKM?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1