Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkracl

starting new home build in another state

jkracl
14 days ago

Planning to build a new home on 5 acres several states away from where I live now. Should I work with an architect where I live now or one in the state I want to build? How do I find one in another state? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Susan L
    14 days ago

I’d want the architect to be familiar with local codes and idiosyncrasies in the location the house will be. Also if you want them to do periodic visits during the build they need to be nearby. No big need for them to be in the same location as you, as long as they’re technically literate and can do zoom meetings with drawings. Anyway, that was my experience doing a remote build. Others may have different opinions.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    14 days ago

Select an architect that practices in the area you wish to build. They may be able to act in your behalf when you are unable to depending upon the services they offer.

Ask builders in the area, or the builder you plan to use, about good architects in the area. Other sources would be lumber yards, building department, banks, home owners that recently completed their build. Meet with the architect candidates in person when you interview them.

• chispa
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

We used an architect in the state we were living in, but he had in-laws that lived in our new area, so he was familiar with the different building practices in the new state. Our contract was for plans and elevations, but not for a permitted building set.

Our builder in the new state found a local draftsman/designer and an engineer to produce the permitted set of building plans. Our architect sent all the files and was available for phone/email consultations if there were any questions.

It worked well for us. I think it is important to be able to meet in person and brainstorm with the architect during the design phase. We had several visits were the architect brought the current version to our house and we played around with potential changes using tracing paper. He would then make the changes and drop off an updated version.

I also felt that the architect in our old town was a better architect than the ones I had interviewed in our new location. He had also designed several homes that were similar to what we wanted to build.

For me, the most important part is where you will be living when construction is taking place?

We sold our old house in the old state and rented a house in our new state, about a mile from the new build. We were able to visit the site everyday and be there for important decisions with our builder and subs. Easy to catch any mistakes and make last minute adjustments as the build is progressing. Finding an honest builder you can trust is the other equally important part!

• dan1888
    14 days ago

I would choose an architect with a track record of design you can see will produce the home you want to build. Local knowledge is not the primary criteria and can be supplied by an experienced builder. You'll likely need a local kitchen/interior designer to manage finishes.