Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_511558083

Favorite roses Southern edition!

HU-511558083
13 days ago

Give me your favorites for the south east and why they’re on your top list!

Comments (4)

• Blue Mountain Girl Zone 8 Va
    7 days ago

I’m in Va, and we just got moved to zone 8. Here are some of my favorites for health and prolific or steady blooming in my blackspot prone garden:

Bathsheba- most prolific and healthy

Awakening

Easy Spirit

Queen of Elegance

Mother of Pearl

Colette

Eustacia Vye

Emily Bronte

Twilight Zone

Sweet Drift and Peach Drift roses

Poseidon

James Galway

Lady of Shallot

Cream Veranda

Rise Up Lilac Days

Bliss- wish she would bloom more but the two I have are young.

And lots of various clematises, and some dinnerplate dahlias for blooms later in the season. I also underplant a lot with salvias, and I wonder if it is helping against the blackspot since I’ve heard the sulfer in the leaves can be helpful.

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

For me, the resistance to BS is very important and all of these below were vetted for that first. However, even with disease resistant varieties, I still spray once or twice in the spring and it helps quite a bit for the rest of the season. Otherwise, they defoliate too much. Later I stop spraying.

Easy Does It (workhorse)

Olivia Rose Austin (delicate and elegant)

Plum Perfect (sturdy and great color but not crazt about the overgrown bush with blooms only at the top)

Beverly (almost 30 buds now on a still small bush)

Savannah (elegant)

Lady of Shallot (beautiful, warm color)

Ring of Fire (amazing, classic-looking bloom)

Climbing Pinkie (the spring show is so romantic)

• Ken Wilkinson
    7 days ago

In my garden, bloom crispness and full bush are the big thing. Now I spray a fungicide every two weeks to keep the foliage on my bush's looking clean and healthy. Here are my top roses.

Munstead Wood---beautiful blooms, repeats quickly, smells great.

Molineux---Beautiful yellow blooms, tons of blooms, foliage from top to bottom.

Scepter d' Isle---Soft pink blooms in clusters, big healthy bush.

Hannah Gordan---Plenty of blooms in clusters and singles, foliage from the top to the bottom.

Lady of the Dawn---Huge bush, soft pink blooms, bee friendly.

Marchesa Boccella---beautiful pink blooms filled with petals, smells great, thick shrub like bush.

Louise Estes---Great pink blend blooms with a good scent, nice upright bush with beautiful foliage.

Ring of Fire---Lots of beautiful orange blooms with great foliage.

Hot princess---Fantastic deep pink blooms on an upright bush with shiny deep green foliage from top to bottom.

• HU-511558083
    Original Author
    5 days ago

All great suggestions! I’ve been eyeing Olivia and scepter de isle. I did pick up Savannah as an own root at Lowes recently. I’m most worried about bloom fry as I do spray. I mostly stick to soft colors for an English style garden palette. Munstead wood looks divine. I love the form.