Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mcdermott90

I would like some ideas for this rooms flooring

Karen McDermott
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

We are getting LVF for the floor but I am stuck on what color? We ordered a sectional in dark charcoal and our kitchen floor is a light tile. This is the first room to be transitioned to a "wood look" floor. I am unsure what color would be best. This room gets very little natural light. I've included pictures of my kitchen and the floor.

Thanks for your ideas! Karen

Comments (10)

• apple_pie_order
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Are you set on LVF or would you consider new carpet? The LVF may not look as high in quality as your kitchen's tile floor.

Karen McDermott thanked apple_pie_order
  • Karen McDermott
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I never thought of that but I do not want carpet. We are also looking at engineered wood.

• deegw
    12 days ago

I would do a warm medium wood tone without a lot of knots or shadows. Grey will be stark next to your kitchen tile, fireplace and wall color. Go to the flooring store and bring home sample boards so you can see how the flooring looks next to your tile in your light.

Your new cool-toned charcoal sectional is likely to look "off" on a warm wood-tone floor. The good thing is that it is relatively easy to combine warm and cool tones in a room using patterns and decor items.

Karen McDermott thanked deegw
  • Jennz9b
    12 days ago

LVP a downgrade from tile.

Karen McDermott thanked Jennz9b
  • Karen McDermott
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I am leaning toward this color family. I think it's neutral enough for the sectional and not too big a transition from the tile.

I understand this floor will be a downgrade from the tile but I cannot afford hardwood so I think laminate would work best.

• deegw
    12 days ago

Where I live, wood-look vinyl is put in all levels of homes. You nearly have to beg the flooring guys to show you something different. If you're concerned about resale, look at the flooring in homes for sale in your price range in your area. I suspect many have LVP.

Karen McDermott thanked deegw
  • grapefruit1_ar
    12 days ago

I think that you need to choose a light color as shown, and then extend it throughout your entire first floor. I would avoid ” mixing /matching” flooring . The LVP can be used in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, etc. The cohesive look is important and can be enhanced with area rugs.

We have 2 homes and have all LVP in one of them. We are very happy with it and would choose it every time over carpet and tile ( ugh’). We have hardwood in our other home and surely love it, too.

Karen McDermott thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Boxerpal
    12 days ago

I think wood could really look nice in your space with that fireplace.

Can you do engineered hardwood?

If LVP is your only option it certainly is better than carpet. And there are many colors out there. I agree with @deegw in some neighborhoods LVP is very popular.

Karen McDermott thanked Boxerpal
  • Karen McDermott
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@grapefruit1_ar Tile is not my favorite at all!