Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_430507696

Need large 10x14 rugs and can’t make decisions

Melissa Wilbanks
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

I have been renovating a home that we dont live in yet. We were able to buy it and gut it, removing three walls and going down to the studs in all bathrooms, kitchen and laundry.

I love the house but now it is time to make design decisions. pic of kitchen attached. The kitchen opens to the family room (with fireplace), and to the ”cocktail/conversation room”…and that opens to the diningroom, that was a butlers wine pantry that connects it to the family room.

I need a 10x14 in both the family room and the dining room and then an 8x10 in the cocktail room and i would like all three to be cohesive and flow well together.

my wine bar/butlers cabinets and my laundry cabinets are a very deep blue (think navy with a bit of gray/black undertones) and then my kitchen is white with thw same blue barstools at the island.

i would like some tugs with light blue and a touch of dark blue, cream/ivory and beige and maybe light browns. Does anyone have any ruga you love?

the last oucture will be of an inspiration room

This picture is before we installed appliances and we were bringing outdoor furniture into cocktail room to see scale of chairs. it shows looking from kitchen into family room and cocktail room.

inspiration

Comments (14)

• Hillary Moers
    12 days ago

Personally, I like plain wheat colored sisal rugs... Amazon has them in 10 x14. This way there will be continuity trroughout your home.

• chispa
    12 days ago

Can you actually sit at your table comfortably? The apron looks quite tall and like there won't be enough room for people's thighs. You definitely won't be able to cross your legs.

We got rid of a nice kitchen table for that reason.

Are you sure a 10x14 rug will be large enough to have the end chairs on the rug when someone pulls the chair back? Maybe 12x16 or the more common 12x15.

I would go visit local oriental rug stores for more unique rugs.

• la_la Girl
    12 days ago

I like Annie Selke for rugs - buy the 2x3 size to check out colors and makes it easy to return

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Note that the floors in your inspiration pic have light rugs on light flooring. Your floors are darker so a lighter ivory or cream rug is going to present a lot contrast and a sort of color blocking effect that will read quite differently than your inspo pic. What is your fireplace room furniture going to look like? Are you seeking oriental rugs, patterned, abstract, tribal? I'd connect the dining room and cocktail area but get something quite different for the fireplace room.

I too vote for sisal rugs all the way around, though don't know if that is the look you are going for.

• Susan Davis
    12 days ago

You can have broadloom cut and bound to fit and make it the exact size you need for the room...the patterns and colors are amazing.

Other than that you might consider an abstract, a stripe, and a texture in colors that work together. FYI, Ballard Design online has great rugs in nice colors.

Also Crate and Barrel.

If you are really wondering where to start, go to a model home site and ask who designed the homes and if they could recommend someone with design experience to help you.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Three that flow well together might be a challenge and will depend your BUDGET!

Make one a light tone sisal, or wool and jute and now you need only two to "flow": )

Your eye will have a place to rest......and you add pattern to a room in other areas.

• ptreckel
    12 days ago

I would do the dining room in a flat wool broadloom that is cut to your size and bound. There are lots of interesting options for that. Keep that neutral as it will be covered up by your table and chairs. Relate the patterns for the other two, like Jan Moyer suggests, above. As they won’t be right next to each other, they need to GO together, NOT match.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

"I do not like rugs under dining tables they make moving chsirs awkward and they get dirty"

One: chairs ( sp )

Two: Every post must begin with the irrelevance

of "I do not like".......

Three: Rugs exist under millions and millions of

dining tables. That a rug is absent from

some, or even many - such as

with children and routine spills?

Also irrelevant, here.

• HU-910663146
    12 days ago

Pattern on a rug hides permanent stains--and yes there will be those.

I only buy non-wool rugs now. I have a number of wool orientals that I've had and my MIL had for decades, but I find myself allegic to the current crop of wool.

Much less expensive, much easier to breathe (in our family at least), and greater design choices.

• Melissa Wilbanks
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I appreciate everyone responses. yes i do want rugs. Not sure about the sisal on little ones knees (2 more grandbabies coming within next 8 months and i have a 6 and 4 year old grandchildren currently) so i would like something softer than that for the family room. i dont want a lot of color but i want a neutral rug with some color…muted blues, gray, brown….or greens.

the ones below are good but i can not find the top one (saw in magazine) and the bottom one doesnt come in the larger sizes

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    11 days ago

I’m following with interest. I want very large rugs that go together as well but mine are in separate rooms. I like your colors, too. As an FYI to you, Melissa, I just went to two carpet stores today to ask about broadloom and binding. The choices were dismal and fairly pricey considering the choices were dull and basic. About $2000-$2500 for a very basic 12’ x 15’. Maybe you have better carpet stores.

• ptreckel
    11 days ago

Take a look at Stark broadloom carpets for interesting patterns. WOW! Antelope, cheeta, tiger stripes, etc. Anything but boring! No, I am not necessarily recommending those patterns to the OP. I have an independent local carpet dealer who I buy my broadloom carpets from and he has a huge selection from a variety of sources.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

You're the grandma. Infants don't yet crawl and when they do? They are happy with a blanket on the floor. They crawl on hardwood!

Jute and sisal aren't "scratchy"" and kids have knees like concrete. ....

Free yourself from needing three to coordinate and have a great neutral texture: )