Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madalyn_carpenter

Black door and black shutters look bad on my house?

Hello!

I recenly bought this home and am slowly updating it as I go. I am replacing the front door and bay window due to damages. I am thinking about a black door with some open glass at the top to let light in and black shutters. Eventually I will paint the siding or replace it and roof but in the meantime wondering if black will look okay? Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

Comments (14)

• lkloes
    12 days ago

I think a black door and shutters will look great on your home…eventually. Wait until you replace the roof to do this. The color combo you have now looks good in the meantime.

• Susan Davis
    12 days ago

The bay window is not coming back is it. Consider vertical equally spaced windows aka Joanna Gaines does her houses in that manner...give the house a fresh look.

Cozy Cottage · More Info

Transitional Exterior · More Info

• jackowskib
    12 days ago

The colors look nice as is, and the idea of black seems too harsh. I would wait until roof is done to better coordinate an updated color scheme.

• millworkman
    12 days ago

I would remove the shutters entirely, the bay window and twin on the opposite end are too large for shutters and they shutters do not look correct on those windows.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago

I think black will be too harsh with the current roof, and probably too harsh with the brick even if you replaced the roof. I don't think a dark grey roof would look good with that brick

White houses with black windows and roofs are popular right now, but the brick on this house does not lend itself to this trend.

• Valinta
    12 days ago

have you new doors open opposite of what it appears to do now. Currently a tight squeeze to open door with right hand, then try to wiggle your way in on the left open space.

• palimpsest
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Actually I don't mind the obviously decorative shutters on post war houses like this. They were a common form of decoration, obviously not functional, and there was never any pretense that they were meant to close over a picture window. They were added for a little color or to add some detail that the house was otherwise lacking.

I don't like incorrectly sized shutters on houses that were meant to have them, or on colonial revival houses when they are obviously not functional-looking.

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

I agree with the other comments about black being too harsh. I wouldn't put a black roof on this house either because of the brick. In any case, you have to get a new door right now. Door manufacturers have standard colors. See what they have in green if you want something other than white. I also like Susan's idea about changing the bay window to something different while you're replacing it.

• emmarene9
    12 days ago

I'd wait to change shutter color when you change the roof. Only, remove shutters on the bay window now. It would be more impressive without them. I'm no good with images but I went to Sherwin Williams site and changed your roof color and gave you bottle green shutters and door. It still seems a bit too dark.

• Madalyn Carpenter
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Hi! thank you all for these comments and suggestions! Yes, the bay window will be replaced with a 3 part sliding window (flush to the house).

I've taken your suggestions and am thinking going with a light brown (cocoa) color door. Something like the picture below. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

• mcarroll16
    12 days ago

The brown door is fine--not wrong, but not interesting. What about a deep green door? It would coordinate well with the siding, brick, and roof colors, and add some visual interest.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    11 days ago

Some option to go

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago