Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Dilemma - 3x4 island - 2 pendants - 8'' ceiling - pendants' size Q?

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago
My island is small 3x4 - 8' ceilings - what is the largest size/diameter that I can go with 2 pendants? Is 10-10.5'' to big? Should I stick to 6-8"? or even smaller?

The pendants will be clear glass so no obstruction but still...
What is the rule for a right proportion and how I can get the most wow without having bulky fixtures coming from a low ceiling over a small island :)

Please share your thoughts - thank you!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago
    Post a picture of the pendants if you want a real answer. Are they globes or long cylinders? Is this your kitchen? It helps to post these things. They don't block a view or interrupt a large open space, so it isn't going to be the same as the pictures you look at on here. What is the measurement between light box centers?
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will try to post some pics today - this is my kitchen - there is 25'' between light box center - I think they were cut too far apart :( - island is 3x4.
  • User
    10 years ago
    It is nice to have the pendant edge 12" in from all counter top edges, but that is because people seem to want them hanging right in their face. If you go bigger, it can be an easy solution to just raise them up until they feel comfortable. This could require a light that is not longer than wide on an 8' ceiling, depending on the style you are going for. As I said previously, these lights can block the view a bit more than might look good in a more open plan as long as it feels comfortable, because there isn't a view to block and they are the focal point unless you have a really fancy range hood.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Fred! My cabinets are walnut euro style full overlay w/blizzard - the backsplash probably will be the focal point - green chartreuse color - I would like the pendants to be maybe clear glass so they don't obstruct the grain of the wood/cabinets. The hood is not fancy. I am open now for one fixture over the island but not sure how expensive would be to redo the holes, ceiling, wires etc. I really like Little People by Kenneth Cobonpue but found it after the fact.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The style I am going for is modern but not too sleek and cold - would like to see some warm color as the green. Modern transitional :)
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe something like that as a shape not a big fan of the black wires though against the hood
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • User
    10 years ago
    If this were my kitchen, I would probably use the counter between the sink and the range for prep. The island would mostly serve as a place to pass food from the refrigerator to the sink, and as a buffet for the table. It may also be used by an additional person for prep work from the right or left side, but not from the ends so much. It may cost more to patch the holes in the ceiling than to move the electrical. I am partial to this type/shape fixture for this size island. They just seem to fit better. Or possibly the second pic, but only for really modern. I think the light you posted will look good with two, but maybe a bit closer together would have been nice. I have never used two medallions to cover holes right next to each other, but that is a possibility. Another option is to put 4" recessed in the two holes, and then hang a single pendant between them.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Fred! Very helpful tips! I was not planning to use the island for prep anyway.
    How far away from each other the 2 holes should have been placed? Not sure why the contractor cut them this way so far away - maybe there was an issue with some studs and where to place the electrical boxes.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Could have something to do with ceiling joists, but it is more likely that the electrician was going by the same worthless rule of thumb that keeps circulating around here. I would have probably suggested two 8" fixtures at 16" - 18" centers or one big light.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Fred! Here is a pic of the space
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!