Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpertu2

Sorry to bother again!

rpertu2
10 years ago
Okay so I really like the idea of a tripod floor lamp that was discussed earlier on Houzz.com, BUT the lamp that was highly recommended is only 54in (about 2 ft higher than the chair/couch arm) Is that too small??? I am picturing the large couch and chair just being completely overbearing (just like what happened with the coffee table)

Comments (30)

• unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I think that lamp would be too short between sofa and chair. Is there some reason you don't want lamp tables w/lamps on both sides of couch? And then a piece of artwork above sofa. I am the one who keeps harping on round end tables for your room!! I did like the idea about a skinny mirror over small bench on that small wall. :)
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm slightly opposed to round tables on both sides because that space in between the couch and chair is HUGE! What would I do with the extra space if I put a round table there?
  • adhp
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with the round tables. The chairs are so boxy, and I think a rounder shape would be a great element to add to the room. Square would just be more of the same. And I think that a slightly taller lamp there would be better as well.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I guess from my perspective, it doesn't look like that big of a space! You can have space around your furniture pieces. I don't think your room looks that big, which is why I didn't like the suggestion of moving the couch down the wall. But then I am going by a snapshot. I'll post a pic of my two tables so you can see the room around them. I am looking to replace mine with round and a 30 inch diameter fits well. Let me know what you think! :)
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    A large round table between the two sofas would be great. The height of the table needs to be just an inch or two lower or higher than the arm of the sofa.

Here's a big fat round table that would look good.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Then put a lamp like a ceramic with some color and add some books or magazines.
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The space is 40in by 50in and the arms of the chair are 30in tall. I really haven't had any luck finding a tall enough table for that
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You don't have to fill the entire space. Start shopping in consignment, used, antique, Salvation Army stores; you might not like exactly how it is but you can paint it. I think a round table with a patterned tablecloth on it, then lamp placed on books would soften all the hard angles you have in your space and add necessary color.
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about these curtains?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Is there room for curtain panels behind the chair with it in front of the window? Curtains will change how that corner looks, too. I do like these as they offer a wonderful pattern for the area.

Can the chair angle even just a bit to get rid of some of the squareness there?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I like the first draperies. Softer...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If you put round table there get a shorter lamp 2-3 ft with a drum style shade. Just corner table put a stainless steel floor lamp on other end. Believe me get a 24-36 round table no higher than bottom or middle of arm. Put some color in lamp. And accessories. Window panels on end. Go a Ikat design. In a color. Try turquoise. In panels and lamp. Coffee table should be square or round big 36" or a big ottoman on a print.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The table can be 25" or higher but not higher than arm. A big lamp and other items will fill area nicely. After you put window covers on will look more finish.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Ck TJMax for all. Great price. Should get a table for less than $100. Lamps less than that.
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I actually was able to move the chair around a little bit! I was thinking the navy curtains, plus round end table, and still maybe a floor lamp? I will post my other idea pics.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    That angle of the chair already makes a huge difference. Does it work to keep that angle and slide it down a bit so the arms are not touching? Can't you just see a throw over the side of it, a pillow and a table for a book??? I am thinking you should easily be able to find a nice big round table at consignment shops and on craigslist that will fit your budget and your room. LOVE the one you pictured!!!

And how nice, too, that I see an outlet on that wall in that area, so no worries about plugging in a lamp.
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pillows
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wall Art
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Table lamp for other side of couch/art/corner floor lamp
  • PRO
    CHRISICOS INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    The tripod lamp does not leave room for a table surface as it takes up the allocated space. Would prefer to see this great piece in an open area where the great lines can be enjoyed
  • rpertu2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I could always put the tripod lamp on the other side of the couch, and just have the one table and blue table lamp in between the couch and chair???
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    LOVE blue and brown together, especially the blues you are looking at.....notice how nice yellow works, too?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    YES........floor lamp alone on the left edge of the couch and the lamp on a table in the middle.
  • Walli Haley
    10 years ago
    I have a problem with the beige carpeting, too. If you can't rip it out and replace it with hardwood flooring, can you at least get a nice area rug to add some interest?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    You need a reference to your leather furniture in any artwork you choose, so make sure there is that camel/caramel color in it.
  • Walli Haley
    10 years ago
    "You need a reference to your leather furniture in any artwork you choose, so make sure there is that camel/caramel color in it." That shouldn't be hard to do!

On the other hand, that's the difference between a room that a designer does and one in which the person is an actual art collector. Those of us who are fortunate to own works of art, whether they are signed prints or originals, don't try and "match" our art to our furniture.
  • Walli Haley
    10 years ago
    How big is the room these couches are in? For some reason, I have the feeling they swallow the room, and it's a shame, because these couches have a nice, comfortable Restoration Hardware (now "RH") look. Maybe look at their website for some inspiration?
  • cucina1990
    10 years ago
    I bought the drapes on the right in taupe and brown-they are rich and give an elegant look. The lighter background would likely give you more of a contemporary and playful look. So I am saying that you have to decide what image you want this room to have.
  • Marlins
    10 years ago
    wallpaper...