Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann23941

Would like help choosing new upholstery fabric for my wing chairs.

Ann
10 years ago
I hate the plaid fabric on the wing chairs, even though it's in great shape. I'd like something more current. Do I need to go with a solid (possibly with welting)? I know you'll say the rug is too small but I won't cover another inch of my beautiful handscraped walnut floors with a bigger rug :) I can't afford the upholstery until 2014, but would like to start thinking about a fabric choice.

Comments (796)

• Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    gypsyrose - Stained polished concrete in a warm gray/taupe color like the concrete color in the "bachelor on a budget" picture a bit above.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    gypsyrose - also in case you didn't read up a bit, the ugly plaid wing chairs will have this solid beige fabric with the blue lumbar pillows in a few weeks after being reupholstered.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Ann, I'm glad your going with the stain, instead of raw polished. Do you mean putting a small radius edge on the corners? Then you could do a rounded profile. It might be hard, but those details woul make it so no one would get gashed if they fell against it. Good luck, I hope they have good artisans in your area!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Michele- not sure when you worried about getting support from other people but anyways. Ann- it is your room and you always knows what is best for your house.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Just because I do not like the concrete doesn't mean I wont support Ann getting it for her table.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes Nancy, raw polished is just a bit too light and too gray for me - I want a slightly warmer, more earthy color. I went to the shop yesterday and I think they can pull it off nicely (though not inexpensively). So I was thinking a rectangle with edges and corners like my quartzite counter top below - thoughts?
    Angela - it's just fine that you don't like concrete:) It's a pretty "out there" idea, but it does appeal to me.
    Everyone, if I'm insane, say so and stop me!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Is that concrete you are showing Ann.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Ann, I had not realized that the sample table was stained concrete...looked like just regular concrete on my monitor....I do like the idea of doing a stain to mimic your granite, will you have them do the lines as well (the ones that resemble cracks)....that will be a one of a kind if you do! And yes, I did see your blue fabric, I had just thought a solid splotch of teal from the rug could also be included
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No Angela, that's my leathered quartzite counter and that picture is just to show the edge/corner idea. The concrete color and look I'm considering is like the "bachelor on a budget" picture, but polished. To me, it looks as if that concrete has a bit of taupe color added. I do want some taupe color added to mine, if I do it. Notice how the "bachelor" table top looks nice with the charcoal base. So, I'm thinking a medium gray/taupe color on top of the black base. Gypsy, there won't be lines like my leathered quartzite.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Ok, was thinking that I like that. Ann- go with your gut it has worked in your favor so far.
    Ann thanked armygirl1987
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Yes, that's the edge I was trying to describe. Then it will tie in to your kitchen counters.
    Ann thanked Nancy Walton
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, I lived with the black base table in the room for a few days and decided I think that base in there is really fantastic - much, much better than I had anticipated. It's a bit more modern but not over the top, ties in really well with other items in the room, is a perfect size for the sofa, etc. So, I'm going for it. I had also discussed a possible concrete table (concrete base and all) with the fabricator, but I'm so fond of the black base in the room that I'm just going with it and a new concrete tabletop. At first I thought I'd go with a not as shiny finish (one between polished and matte) but now I like the idea of polished. I definitely want to add a bit of brown to the gray concrete to take it a little bit toward taupe but still a gray/taupe. With all my circle tables right nearby (3 of them), I'm going with a rectangle with edges and corners like my counter. I also think that shape will "fit" best on the base. So, wish me luck!!!! I'll post pictures again when the coffee table, wing chairs and lumbar pillows are done - should all be by the end of January. Oh, and I think I'll scoot the rug just under the front legs of the sofa just enough that the table will be exactly centered in the rug design (both directions) - I measured and that should work out well - thoughts? I know the rug isn't the best design for my more modern look but the colors are so darn good with that sofa that I plan to live with it for now and see how it all works together. The rug may get replaced in the future (down the line a ways), but we'll see. Does it all sound reasonable? I haven't spent a dime yet but plan to get the table underway soon if you guys don't convince me otherwise.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Michele, didn't know if you'd see it but tiny update to our throw conversation at the very bottom of my very old bedroom discussion.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/should-i-buy-an-upholstered-headboard-dsvw-vd~541198
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yay, the upholstery guy picked up my chairs today - 2 weeks or less!!!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Fantastic!
  • mkritt
    10 years ago
    Hi Ann Happy New Year! It will be great to see your chairs! I think the concrete table sounds very unique and look forward to seeing that too. I like a touch of the industrial look also.

Hi Margaret B!!
  • defever
    10 years ago
    Jumping in late in order to see your grand reveal!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, the table won't happen until Feb due to the concrete fabricator's busy schedule, but the chairs are underway. So, there will have to be two reveal pictures :)
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Farewell plaid fabric :) And, to think, I actually chose that fabric. So glad I'll never see it again!!!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just in case anyone still has this bookmarked, here is how the room turned out with reupholstered chairs. Also, I replaced the rug and coffee table along the way:) I really like it sooooo much better now.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Good job! They look entirely like new chairs.
    Ann thanked gypsyrose17
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    The new you looks good :)
    Ann thanked mefor
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Very nice, Ann!
    Ann thanked Nancy Walton
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks ladies! I know the blue pillows hardly make sense without the old rug, but I'm kind of liking them. I've added a big blue candle to the room and may get more blue if I keep using the pillows. Hubby likes the new chairs a lot, agrees they are much better than the plaid he was so fond of, but isn't crazy about the blue pillows:) So, they're iffy, but growing on me day by day.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I love the blue, when you bring more art into the room, that blue can sneak in with it.
    Ann thanked mefor
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    But you still have to do something with the plant container. Maybe you can find a nice pot the color of the chairs and accented with that blue.
    Ann thanked mefor
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    :)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Progress....hubby likes the chairs and ADMITS they are better than the plaid. Give him time with the pillows now, too.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's a good idea Michele! Yes, a better pot for the plant is on my to do list. When gardening season begins and all the new stock arrives, I plan to check out the local garden center and Home Depot and Lowes. I hadn't thought of adding blue there, but that's a great idea. It's a tad southwestern, but where did you find the one in the top row, second from the left. Also, top row, far right and bottom row, far left?
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean, he loves the chairs and says I was completely right about that change - which is rather rare:):)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    This is for the first one you asked about :)

http://www.aspencountry.com/assets/product_images/gar_planters.html
    Ann thanked mefor
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    He gets a big hug from all of us!
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Michele! So that one is a set of three, which could be quite useful in my house so full of happy plants. Unfortunately, the biggest is only about half the size I need for that living room plant. I need something at least 20" high and 20" in diameter.
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh my gosh, it looks like my better looking pots will happen one at a time. I've been doing some online shopping and they're several hundred dollars each for the size I need for my several very large plants.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    The second was from import company, but I'm sure you can find eomething similar , the third was from here :)

http://www.dennis7dees.com/garden-centers/plants-products/pottery-planters/
    Ann thanked mefor
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    You'll find something, I found some great ones at homegoods last year for the beach house, they were all under $50, big ones!!!!
    Ann thanked mefor
  • Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh that's good news. So, it looks like it will be a bit of a search. That's fine.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Big Lots is also a good place to look.
    Ann thanked gypsyrose17
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Rooms looks fresh. I like the blue pillows. Just add something blue on the coffee table.
    Ann thanked LB Interiors
  • matildarobinson24
    9 years ago
    I have an arm chair like yours. Mine has had the arm clawed and scratched like no other. I have got to find a place to take my chair to be re-covered. It would be nice to have my chair looking decent again. http://www.cliftonupholstery.com.au/services/
  • Ann
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Old post. This room was redone a long time ago.
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Already redone? Just curious; what did you choose? I was going to suggest going with focusing on the blue/gray color in the really nice and not at all too small rug ( I like wood floors, too, and wouldn't want to cover any more of it either.)

• Ann
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi suezbell. Here's how the room looks now.

My House · More Info

• abbyjean
    8 years ago

Ann, I love this room and I love your home. And I really like how happy and sunny it looks like that with those windows!!

• ladysmith48
    8 years ago
    I am looking for a cream and black script fabric for a club chair
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

ladysmith48 - you need to start your own dilemma thread - but check out a PRO here at Houzz - ARKfabric.com

• Ann
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Houzz, I'm flagging the two comments from Ovchinnikov from this same discussion as spam. Though they may not read as spam, what this Houzzer does is take previous comments from the discussion (sometimes years old comments) and reposts them (as exact quotes of someone else) as comments of Ovchinnikov. It's happened often over the last few years and always makes no sense whatsoever to the current conversation or to a discussion that hasn't been active for a very, very long time. I've asked a Houzzer friend to flag this comment for me, so you'll see it and not restore Eugene's comments to this thread.

• Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    Something like this in blue with seat a different pattern could be cool
  • Ann
    Original Author
    7 years ago

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD! PLEASE DON'T REVIVE IT!

• User
    7 years ago

LOL Ann, I have had suspicions about Eugene for a long time and I have my hunch now.