Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eshank

Is it a bad idea to put the dishwasher next to the oven?

eshank
10 years ago
Has anyone placed their dishwasher directly next to their oven? We are thinking of doing it due to limited cabinet options. I've heard it is not necessarily bad for either appliance but aesthetically it is not ideal.

This photo is our current layout. We are moving the fridge to where the dishwasher currently is, and moving sink out of corner to the left. The dishwasher would then be situated to the left of the sink and oven/range to the left of the dishwasher (with cabinets filling in the rest). Functionally I think it will be fine, but would love feedback.

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago
    Something has to hold up the counter top between the stove and dishwasher.
  • Jennifer Lock
    10 years ago
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it.... I have that in my own home
  • PRO
    The Big Small
    10 years ago
    It can be done. I was forced into the same situation on a loft renovation - installed a modern kitchen with high end appliances and it looked great. One thing to consider is the gable (or panel) you will need to put in between the dishwasher and the range. This will function to both support your countertop and create a barrier between the range and dishwasher. Your range will have the minimum clearances required for each side in the installation manual. Make sure you calculate for this when placing your panel and the base cabinet on the other side..

With your fridge so close to the corner (in the new layout) a counter depth fridge would be a great option so as not to turn the inside corner of the countertop into unusable space.

Better yet, if this kitchen is on a crawl space, I would consider putting an island in, leaving the fridge where it is and placing your sink and dishwasher in the island.
  • Mark Maestas
    10 years ago
    Did a renovation on a 24 unit apartment building and all of them have the oven/range next to the dishwasher. Check your oven specs in the manual and double check the side clearance requirements to be safe.
  • eshank
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! We are planning a gas cooktop and oven so I think the cabinet for the oven will provide support for the counter? We just bought a 33" wide counter depth fridge. I wish we had room for an island but the room is too narrow. The opposite wall has a door and chimney so not really room for anything there either.
  • Patrick Shea
    3 years ago

Doing it now, I'll post pics later. The holding up of the counter between the 2 appliances is a valid and necessary fact. They say min. 2" spread between the 2. I opted for a 3" fortified filler that is affixed to the floor with L brackets and concrete nails. Then a nice bead of silicone on top to the back to hold it in place to the granite countertop. The 3" filler will basically be a 3 dimensional 3" box. Perfect.

• Randi Tangen
    last year

Do you have pics? I'm doing this currently and would love to see how yours turned out :)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

I would suggest having at least 2" between the dishwasher and range for heat dissipation.