Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aberger77

Need help furnishing and decorating our dining room

AMW
10 years ago
Our dining area is off the kitchen and on the way to the hallway. We just got new flooring and now are having a hard time deciding how to decorate the sort of odd area. Looking at new lighting fixture, table (round or rectangle?) buffet or hutch where the lab print is...anything to make it feel welcoming. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)

• dean4712
    10 years ago
    I am in the same situation but I am looking to paint. I have always wanted one wall in my dining room to be red. My daughter told me that is called an Accent Wall, I don't know your favorite color but maybe you could start with that it might give you some other ideas just having a different color on one wall.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you could give us the dimensions of your dining space and give us an idea of the style you like.... :-)
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi. My first impression is that you need a round table, and a buffet on the wall with the labrador picture. But you must promise to put the labrador picture somewhere good whatever happens. Labradors are important!

Your ideabooks suggest that your taste is very clean and modern. I really like the Pandora light you have posted there. Start thinking, perhaps, about using something like that here. I'm also seeing very modern chairs, clean lines, possibly upholstered in a bright colour, like orange. I'd also like to see a zappy piece of modern art in there. More thoughts later, I hope, it's night time here. By (my) morning all your problems may have been solved.
  • AMW
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The dimensions to of the furnishable area are approximately 7ft x 10ft. Our style seems to be falling in a modern mid-century/Scandinavian. Thank you all for your comments so far! Definitely looking to add color with artwork/furnishings rather than paint.
  • PRO
    Art Geo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    May be large painting? ( nice labrador) :)
    https://www.solomoonart.com
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Curtain panels hung wide will do the most to add to the welcoming factor. A piece of furniture will just make the space feel smaller unless it is done to proper scale. I also think painting the backdoor an accent color from the print fabric you select for drapery would be ideal.

Right now everything is brown - what colors would you like to emphasize in your public rooms - accent colors, what colors are in your color story? Paint the lab picture wall a muted accent color, put a large piece of art on it, select coordinating drapery and a nice light fixture. A narrow sideboard / sofa table below is your best bet.
  • PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    10 years ago
    I really like the kitchen in your idea book with the shelves around the patio door. It looks like you even have an indent there already. But I also agree with libradesigneye, that curtains will warm the room up too. And probably less expensive. I think you need to drop a pendant over the table. A flush, or even semi-flush, just won't do it. A pendant will help to ground and define the space. The drum shades you seem to like will go with the mid-century vibe as would a globe light.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Westelm have a lovely round table that will probably be a good size for your space. If you see a table you like, tape the dimensions out on the floor, or use paper to mock it up. Place chairs around it to give you a good idea how it fits the space.

This is the Westelm table:
    http://www.westelm.com/products/parker-mid-century-round-dining-table-h303/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

And here's another Westelm one:
    http://www.westelm.com/products/arc-base-pedestal-table-g490/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like your square table. I would add some new chairs to brighten up the space. A small narrow buffet on the left wall with a bright painting above it. You could make a little study nook where you currently have the buffet.
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    Some more pics...
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Lovely suggestions, from the charming tables Carolins posted on down. I went messing around website this morning trying to find things I liked for you but with no success -- clearly others are doing better. Those rooms elpelicano has posted are brilliant examples of using light, bright colour without becoming garish.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    All from Westelm:
  • cicifield
    10 years ago
    Off the top of my head, I would advise you not to paint an accent wall. The space is too broken up as it is. I love round tables, but in this case I would use a square table with an extra leaf, and light weight chairs that don't take up so much visual space. Although it seems counter-intuitive, I would try a hutch opposite the table on the so-called hall wall, to drag that space into the dining area, rather that leave it has a mere pass-through. A colorful rug would help to define the dining space. To create a modern look, I like bold and clean. So I would choose simple furniture but in dark wood, or even black. To firmly anchor the space and to keep the focus on the dining area. I would also have a few choice pieces of pottery or china in the hutch for visual interest and a large piece of art, as someone else suggested. On the wall that faces you as you head for the kitchen. It would create another visual stop to help define that awkward space.