Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mish8789

Empty space in living room- do I need to fill it?

mish8789
10 years ago
I have a long, narrow living room. I actually call it the piano room because we have a separate family room so this room isn't used as much. My furniture is mostly shifted to the right side of the wall because the best way to get to the family room and dining room is to walk through this room so I left a path to easily walk through. However, I wanted to get your opinion on whether the left side is a little TOO plain. Should I maybe add something to the wall or more furniture? I'd like a wine buffet but I'm not sure if I have any place to put it.

Also in case you are wondering, that 3 tier table next to the piano is for the wireless internet.

Comments (81)

• rsm49
    10 years ago
    I do like the new furniture arrangement! It helps fill the room and it looks inviting. The color of the chair makes it somewhat lost next to the stone wall, though. Maybe a dark screen behind it?

As for the piano, you could hire a piano company to come move it for you. And if it needs tuning, you could have them do that too.
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    mish8789 thanked rsm49
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    You could build a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf to cover up the stone wall.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This layout defines the room much more and you don't seem to need anything on the long wall anymore. It looks much better but just a few minor changes. I don't mind seeing the back of the couch. It's not something hideous.......it's just a couch.......it wasn't designed for the back to be hidden! A console table would be too crowded. If it bothers you just add a beautifully textured throw blanket over the back. This will make it more interesting and allow you to bring in some more of the wall colour. The chair does look lost on the stone wall so bring it closer to the couch at an angle (the way it was in the other layout) so it's not right up against the wall. That red cabinet I posted earlier would look great on the stone wall with the painting over it! Bring the couch closer to the fireplace.....right where it starts and turn the coffee table the other way. You're on the right track!
    mish8789 thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    A throw blanket is a lovely idea.
  • cgmgmn
    10 years ago
    I love the progress, looking great! I also like the suggestion of the throw draping over back of couch. You could also put a vinette of baskets, large colored glass vase type of display on the floor behind the couch that won't take a lot of room, but has decent scale, texture and can be used for extra storage or seasonal decorating. For chair, I think you need a new pillow that has a larger scale print on it. All inexpensive additions. I think the piano would be so pretty if you turn it to expose the keyboard in the room.
    mish8789 thanked cgmgmn
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    mish, your re-arrangement of furniture is perfect! Amazing how it cozied up the room, before the room looked so long and empty. Only thing I would change is to angle the chair a bit toward the fireplace. But that is just my opinion! :))
    mish8789 thanked unwantedadvice
  • PRO
    Mente Sowell Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    You do not need to fill the space but you need to work on lighting. For example, you could do a wall washers aimed at the stone wall and the fireplace instead of downlights. That will open up the space a bit.
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Lydia, I used that cheetah print throw and covered part of the back of the sofa and what a big difference that made. Never would have thought of something as simple as that. I also angled the chair and I bought paint for the fireplace, hope to get to it really soon. I'll update with new picture when I have bigger changes.

I also think the chair sort of disappears because of its color. Maybe it will even out better if I put a painting on that stone wall. I don't really want to cover it up with a folding screen or book shelf, its my favorite part of the room. I've also been poking around craigslist for a wine cabinet. I like that red cabinet Lydia posted but its out of budget
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok random, possibly horrible idea but a chaise instead of the chair & wine cabinet?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Love the room I would still bring piano over towards French doors more and turn so sitting looking at windows also open shades half way. Chair on rock is nice but needs a bigger chest type next to it. One now to small add tall pots to it too. In color.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    You're very welcome! I'm glad you like it and it didn't cost a cent. I don't like the idea of a chaise. I really like the chair you already have so I suggest keeping it. Once you put a wine cabinet on the stone wall it will make the chair stand out more and it will look less lonely. I found this cabinet at Target for $150. :)
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOVE IT! ordering it when I get home from work. Thanks Lydia!

I'll work on moving the piano after I get the rest of the room finished. Will probably need to hire someone or bribe my friends to come over ;)
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    is the small one better or the big one Lydia posted?
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    That beautiful piano needs to take center stage. Right now it is hidden in that corner! You can leave it where it is, but turn it 180 degrees so that the person playing has his back to the fireplace.

Also, move the sofa to directly face the fireplace. You can still leave a good four feet for a pathway behind the sofa.

Now you can have folks sit, see the fire and the beauty of that piano.
    Two Story Cottage · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    Youppi!!! It's a great style at a great price! The smaller one has the same shape as the fireplace so I suggest the one I posted. The size will fill the stone wall nicely.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    mish8789: You should NEVER actually try to move a baby/grand piano by using the casters. The legs are very fragile under all that weight. You really need to just lift it and move it bit by bit. If you have 3 or 4 people, you should be able to move it pretty easily. I agree that it should be moved out from the wall.
    mish8789 thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Mish, I bought that small cabinet from Target in black and it smelled awful from finish/paint. I even left the pieces in garage to air out and that did not even help. Now that was a few months ago so check the reviews before you order. It was just perfect but the odor was just too much. :(
    mish8789 thanked unwantedadvice
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My bf liked the smaller one better so i bought both. I'll just return one later. Thanks for the tip unwantedadvice, I saw some reviews that they fixed it so hopefully its not as smelly anymore. If anything, I'll just haul them back to the store!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    One way to fill the space: I would paint all the walls in that beautiful red!

And, do hire professional piano movers to reposition the piano. Don't want it, or your back ruined!
  • PRO
    Artajul
    10 years ago
    Considered an area rug that would work well with your beautifull stone walls ??
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Try this and post a picture? Put sofa against wall opposite fireplace. A slight change in your traffic lane, but that would open up the area to gather around and to see the piano!
    Cherry Hills Western Eclectic · More Info
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    pcmom1, i did try putting the sofa against the fireplace some time ago, should have taken a picture but it was too inconvenient to walk through.

Artajul, i was thinking of a rug but rug on carpet? i did that in my living room and the houzz community vetoed!

OK so the cabinet came and i assembled it today! Unwantedadvice mentioned of a horrible smell. Actually, the smell wasnt so bad when I got it. It aired out overnight and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of cabinet for only $150! I put wine bottles inside. Thinking of decorating by putting wine glasses and a bottle on top? Or what do you think should go on top if anything?

And I also put the cheetah print throw to dress up the back of the sofa like Lydia said. :)
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and im still painting the fireplace! i really hope to get to it today but been super busy so we'll see!
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    I like your cabinet a lot. Seems like it is calling for something tall on top.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    The chair that is against the stone wall is sort of blending into it. Could you throw that cheetah throw over it, sort of like it is upholstered in it, and then post a shot?

Also, take the piece of art with the umbrella, and lean it on the red console. Just would like to get an idea how a piece of art with some red in it would look on that stone wall. Think that wall needs more color.

I think adding panels to your window wall would look rich.
    Living Room · More Info

Lo-Hi Residence · More Info
  • Marci
    10 years ago
    I think it's greatly improved. Some of these suggestions are repetitive, but they really leap out after the changes.

1. Hire a piano moving company to reposition the piano. It's really throwing the room off where it is now, stuffed in the corner.

2. Have you considered re-covering the armchair? It really needs to be in a contrast color.

3. You need a small lamp on the credenza against the wall, next to the armchair.

4. The coffee table is better suited to a den or family room. There should be a more elegant coffee/cocktail table.

The room looks much, much better! Just a few small tweaks and it will be fabulous!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Try the painting above the mantle.
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Picture of painted fireplace...its whiter then I hoped for :( is it ok?

I agree that I need a small lamp marci4. Pcmom1, I think the cheetah print looks weird over the pink chair. What do u think? If
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    mish, glad you posted new pics. I have to say the fireplace seems a bit too white for my taste. Sorry. I wish it was more of a beige/cream or an exact copy of one of the colors of stone wall. But on the upside, the red cabinet looks great by the chair. Not a fan of the cheetah throw on the chair, I did like it on the back of couch. See what others recommend but so far you have made vast improvements. :))
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Me too.. . Not sure how to fix it. It's hard to match the stone wall bc there are several colors on there.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Decorating can be so complicated, right? Sometimes I wish that I could just be done and only worry about replacing things when they break or get worn out! At some point I want to stop and just enjoy.

Will you mind re-painting it if more people don't care for the color? So strange to hang one's hope on what others think you should do! :))
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I dont mind too much but my fiance will probably throw a fit if he has to hold another paint brush. I made him help me paint 6 rooms hehe. He wants to ban me from houzz
  • PRO
    Meilleur Designer Panels & Grills
    10 years ago
    Add some decorative panel will add some design with it. You can even use this kind of panel as partition.
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    just for kicks, i found a picture of what the room looked like 3 months ago when we moved in. thanks everyone for helping me bring this room together :)
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I'd like to ban myself from houzz! I spend way too much time on here. I don't comment too much but love reading the dilemmas.

You have come a long way from when you moved in! That is a lot of painting but it sure can freshen up a new "old" home. Do you help paint or just fiancé? I usually do corners and around removed outlet covers, small stuff like that. My hubby likes to paint but it is a big job.

I just had a thought, tell fiancé that white color was the primer coat!! :))
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    Your room is looking great! I do agree that the fireplace should be repainted. Get a few samples to try before you commit to one. Enjoy your home!
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    You've done so much! I actually like the fireplace but maybe it's not as white on the image. I suggest living with it for a while......paint tends to fade with time. I much prefer the cheetah throw on the couch. You could hang it length-wise on the back of the couch. The chair would stand out more if you moved it away from the wall at an angle with the table and if you put one of the green pillows on it. You could then center the cabinet on the stone wall. So much fun seeing the changes!
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    mdpg- I'm not sure what those panels are. Whats it called and where do I go to get those?

I'll leave the fireplace for now and repaint it in a couple of weeks if it still looks too white. The picture did make it whiter than it actually is. I got a green plant with long-ish vines just now at Ross so maybe that'll help even out the colors. Also tried to find a lamp to put on the red cabinet like some had suggested but had a hard time with colors. What color shade and base do you think would look good? I was considering a red shade with brown base...
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    A baby grand piano should be placed so the opening is into the space occupied by the listeners, and the keyboard so that the player can see his audience. I would rotate the piano about 90 degrees and center it to the windows, making sure it is far enough away from the windows so that potentially cold air doesn't have an affect on the instrument.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I love the transformation happening in your home!!! The fireplace looks just fine. Liked the throw on the couch much better. That wine cabinet is just perfect and love thinking of it being full! Now, I just feel like it needs more presence in the room with SOMETHING on the top of it......more than a wine bottle. Something to fill a little of the wall and something with substance. Hmmm......
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Do you have any pottery or large colorful vases that would work? Put tall corkscrew type 'weeds' in a vase or pot?
  • Brittany Bennett
    10 years ago
    Ok I love the color of the walls but they are definitely bare. I would suggest getting some beautiful art to liven the place up. When I moved into my new place I used the iPad app ARTtwo50 to digitally hang paintings on my wall so I could see them before I bought them. Pretty helpful!
    mish8789 thanked Brittany Bennett
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean, I took a picture with a blue vase I was using for the entry way to see if a vase is the way to go. But I would get another vase if so because I like this one in the front. I also bought a lamp. Which one do u guys prefer, if any? I personally like the lamp. I'm also shopping for artwork so will keep everyone posted when I find one!
  • mish8789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I also bought a plant... Should it go back to the store? My family thought I needed more leafy stuff in the house
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like that lamp a lot, but think I would put it near the chair so it looks like a reading lamp even.
    I LOVE plants in a room.....did you get a real one? I might even slide it closer to the center a bit.
    I love the pop of color in the vase, but it does compete with the lamp due to the heights being the same.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Getting there. Good idea to move the lamp towards the chair.

Two things I think would add a lot to the room: A chair in a stronger color, the pinkish color blends into the wall too much and a wooden mantle or surround added to your fireplace.
    Lake House · More Info

Traditional Elegance · More Info
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    @mish8789, like your new lamp. Yes, closer to chair would be good idea. If plant is faux, I am not a fan. Search mantle decor on Houzz and see other ideas for that area. Yes, you could still use something else on red table, maybe vase or other objects.

You know what I just noticed from your original photo? The bird pillows on your couch. Funny how one doesn't always see something right away. I love them, so cute!
  • wallysgirll
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the new arrangement! If you hadn't done it on your own, I was going to suggest making two "rooms" from your one long one. I have a room that is very much the same and I also have a baby grand piano. Here's a couple suggestions that might help in moving it: 1) Get the vinyl casters to put under each leg (their claim to fame is that you can move hundreds of pounds using them and in my experience, that's pretty true) 2)When putting the casters under the legs, we (my son helped me) found it easier if he positioned himself under the piano and lifted with his back (you need to have the caster all ready to go so that it just takes a second!) 3) To move it, position one person at the keyboard and one out at the end leg. Then slide (helps if you can lift slightly to take some weight off the leg; I'm a 70-yr-old weakling and I could manage that) in small increments. Obviously, it would be best to hire movers, but since I couldn't afford that we managed to get the job done with no damage whatsoever to the piano! The casters make a HUGE difference! Think you have done a spectacular job--congrats. You've taken everyone's advice/ideas, but stuck with your budget and your likes.
  • wallysgirll
    10 years ago
    Forgot, a couple other suggestions--talk with the paint store. I think you could just put a "glaze" over the paint like they do with cabinets often times. That would bring out the goldy-tan from your wall--I think. Is there room to the left of your window wall for the grandfather clock? It's hidden right now and it's such a beautiful piece it deserves some showing off. OK; that's it! :) Again, fabulous job!