Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmichaud724

built in barbecue on covered patio

jmichaud724
10 years ago
can a barbecue be built under the roof of a covered patio? Is there a fire danger associated with this? Will the smoke discolor the ceiling of the patio cover?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    No. Yes. Yes. If you build the BBQ with a chimney or a REALLY large hood, maybe....but if it an attached roof, I would advise against it.
  • jmichaud724
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks. Its confusing because I find so many pictures with them built under a roof...
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I don't see why not, and don't see that it would be a fire hazard in regular use and with a typical residential BBQ under any codes I know of.

A BBQ is a contained flame source. The greatest danger from a BBQ is it falling over and lighting the floor on fire, and second to that damaging or igniting the wall finish next to it (like vinyl siding, or unfinished cedar.) But a typical ceiling is far enough away from a typical BBQ to not be a fire hazard. Think of an island cooktop with a down-draft vent: no heat issues on the ceiling above it, and no code requiring anything be done to the ceiling in that regard. So long as the patio cover sheds or vents rather than collects smoke (not a closed cathedral ceiling) venting should not be an issue. And while the ceiling is likely to get greasy over time, I can't imagine it would get heat damaged. Put your hand over your BBQ at eye level and there's almost no heat.

This of course is all subject to a local fire codes. They may well see it differently, and that is really where you should go for a definitive answer.
    jmichaud724 thanked ReSquare Architecture + Construction
  • Kelly A.
    8 years ago

I see that this thread is old but I'm going ask anyway…will BBQ soot stain an awning? We're considering covering our patio with an awning but have reservations because of the satin factor. Anyone have thoughts or experiences with this?

• Jessica Kerry Mack
    8 years ago

I'll reply on this old thread because Kelly has asked a new question. Kelly, I'd be more concerned about setting your house on fire than on whether or not an awning would get stained. My parents had a friend who dragged their grill under a carport during a rain storm, they figured it was safe since it wasn't anywhere near anything. However heat rises and the roof of the carport caught fire and burned their house down. A friend who is chief of a fire department told me this is extremely common. People pull the grill too close to the wall of the house or deck, or underneath a deck or carport and fires start. Here's a link about safe grilling: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/outdoors/grilling

• Kelly A.
    8 years ago

Hi Jessica and thank you for replying. We've been grilling under a covered patio for 11 years without incident. While soot has collected on the screen, there's only minimal staining on the patio ceiling (it's aluminum) but I hear the awning will attract soot. Thanks again.

• John Williams
    7 years ago

I have quite a large covered outdoor area, the roof is 3.5m (over 10') high and there are no walls. I want to put a fireplace like the one in the picture in this area to use it in winter, but am wondering about the effect of heat on the roof. Does anyone know at what height does heat dissipate enough not to have significant effect.

• PRO
    European Rolling Shutters
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Although this post is old, we'd like to chime in regarding Kelly's question of whether or not BBQ soot will stain an awning.

Yes, the BBQ soot can stain an awning if the awning is directly above the grill!

We recommend getting retractable awnings that can partially retract to expose the grill during cooking. This allows proper ventilation and reduces the risk of fire and awning damage as the grill is not being used directly beneath the awning.

You can read more about outdoor kitchen awnings here: http://www.ersshading.com/blog/news/outdoor-kitchen-awnings/

• Kelly A.
    7 years ago

Thank you for this information...so helpful!

• mschoonmaker
    6 years ago

I looked through your website, and see some awnings and pergola covers that are over grills. I would assume that if the grill was being operated, that the fabric would be a fire hazard. Can you please speak to this? Thank you.