Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie1228

am selling this house in the spring- need kitchen opinions,pls!

leslie1228
10 years ago
No one likes the wallpaper, i love it, but am afraid it will prohibit getting my asking price. I will use y'all for other rooms, as well. Right now, i was advised to replace white appliances with stainless, to get rid of the wall paper, to go to a black and white granite, rather than this white solid surface. Also, was going to put a stainless farmer's sink in, if i follow this advice. Have to get premium price in spring. (It's on a golf course, good area) Just breaks my heart, stainless shows every mark, and i do love the wallpaper. But, we have gotten lots of criticism per wall paper.

Comments (178)

• 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Beautiful view. lovely sitting room, I would buy your house even if you still had the terrible wallpaper LOL
    leslie1228 thanked 2dogssashatess
  • cathyjoco
    10 years ago
    Wow! It looks so pretty! I agree with Angel on the shelves - maybe you can remove 1 shelf from each cupboard a then stand 1 or 2 plates or vases on the shelf.
    leslie1228 thanked cathyjoco
  • leslie1228
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    am not even close to the staging!! Remember, this won't be on the market until april, i am just getting the very first step in process. everything will be out of open cupboards- except some handpainted color plates. I know there're right for that area. I'll give you an update(pictures) in a few weeks when pendant lighting, new sink, faucet, and counters are done. At that point, i'll post pictures of the kitchen and am really amenable ( especially appreciative) of all advise and criticism, Guess what, the great room, adjoining kitchen is next. It's full of things you guys can tell me to get rid of!!! of course, the first two rooms are taking longer. I am so glad I started now.
    thanks soo much
    leslie
  • china1china
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper has to go. Some buyers would be overwhelmed if they had to remove the paper themselves.They would probably move on to looking at other houses. It's not worth losing a sale over that. Paint walls a neutral color.
    leslie1228 thanked china1china
  • cathyjoco
    10 years ago
    Leslie. I think you did a wonderful job! ! You're a good sport and took everything so well.
  • leslie1228
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    if I wasn't receptive to suggestions, I wouldn't have asked for help! I truly appreciate the ideas. Am seeing another trend- no black toned granite? What color would you all think to pop white, true white, cabinets, and grey walls- nickel faucets, etc! I am not able to comment directly, so I try to address the questions in the general thread. The houses start at 250, very few, and go to three M in this community. very kid oriented. very desirable area- turn house fast, if done right.
    thanks again
    leslie
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    Black granite is pretty but awful to keep clean because you can't see anything! The house we just purchased has it, and we'll keep it for now. but I would much rather have granite shown in this photo. Very elegant!
    leslie1228 thanked Lisa M. Rogers
  • Bridget
    10 years ago
    No one has suggested this so here goes. How about some undercounter LED lights. The strip lights have come down in price. You could also do above the cabinets. The LED lights can be put on a dimmer. I looked but could no see a window in the kitchen. You can get them in a warm tone now, brightens the kitchen.
    leslie1228 thanked Bridget
  • PRO
    Amy Canary
    10 years ago
    I'd definitely take the wallpaper down and paint the walls a light neutral color. I just bought a house and every room has wallpaper - it is so much work to take it down and how I wish the walls were just a neutral color. After the paper is down, reassess the countertop color. Countertops are a significant investment and depending on where you live, a buyer may just do a complete renovation anyway. I'd also focus on cleaning and removing lots of stuff inside the cabinets and in the kitchen in general. I think buyers want to imagine where their things will go and it is hard if the house is filled with your belongings. Staging can be a great investment and helps you to be more objective about your home.
    leslie1228 thanked Amy Canary
  • PRO
    Amy Canary
    10 years ago
    didn't follow all comments very carfeully. LOVE your new wall color. Great choice!
    leslie1228 thanked Amy Canary
  • lazandjohn
    10 years ago
    http://www.avaliving.com/photos/room/1537/7480_LG.jpg Grey Carrera marble would look good with white. Or soapstone (dark grey) - but might be very expensive. Alternatively I'd look at stone composites (silastone/Caesarstone/Zodiaq) as a grey or even cream (with flecks) would look good. I really like the idea of choosing 2 worktops - one for the island and another for the work area.
    leslie1228 thanked lazandjohn
  • patsy1951
    10 years ago
    Leslie1228, this looks wonderful! You took all our comments to heart, chose what worked for you and went for it! It looks very fresh and updated, I told you you would love it! As for the countertops, when you choose your granite, please don't pick black or grey, they have a very cold look. ( and don't get green, that's dated now too). Take a paint sample and a cabinet door to the store with you to match it . Lastly, you could use a pop of color somewhere in an accessory, a bit of red, cobalt, or lime , a bowl of green apples maybe? Great job!
    leslie1228 thanked patsy1951
  • lazandjohn
    10 years ago
    TOTALLY agree with the above comments re floor rug, cushions, extra furniture.... - I know you haven't staged the rooms yet but worth considering now as you start to de-clutter. I'd get a few more opinions on what types of stone for worktops - I think granite is a bit dated altogether as there are newer worktop materials which are more popular where I live. However, that said, your kitchen is fairly traditional....
    leslie1228 thanked lazandjohn
  • Elise
    10 years ago
    Hi Leslie,
    Love your transformation so far. Your wall color is perfect. I am imagining a large print, with pops of red in it on that wall facing the peninsula. Whip that black table cloth off and pop a large bowl of colorful apples in the middle. Is the dining area next to the kitchen the main dining room? or a breakfast nook? Love your views out to the green, I have the same chairs...

Have you decided on replacing the countertops and what color? Another option could be to give the future buyer a countertop allowance in the price range of quartz or granite, the more popular options. Then you don't have to deal with the mess. Can't wait to see final transformation.
    leslie1228 thanked Elise
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    I love your paint colors. and looks so much better without the wallpaper,good job!!!!
    leslie1228 thanked decoratinglady5
  • cathyjoco
    10 years ago
    Hi Leslie. Actually during this time you have never mentioned budget; I am not sure what you expectation is. But , personally, I would put the counters on a back burner or perhaps get an estimate for the granite and continue with other parts of the house. I am not sure what the rest looks like but with what we have seen I think the kitchen would pass as beautiful. Personally I would forge ahead and only do the counters if, in the end, I felt it was needed.
  • PRO
    OK GROUP
    10 years ago
    We are the biggest handmade carpet and rug manufacturer

www.galleryottomanart.com
    www.heirloomturkey.com
    www.turkmencarpet.net
    Regards
    leslie1228 thanked OK GROUP
  • carey1962
    10 years ago
    Change that bloody wall paper go pale colours get some natural light in the scheme is a bit dark especially at night by the looks of it.
    leslie1228 thanked carey1962
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    I think she already got rid of the wallpaper..and picked a lovely color.
  • mplsmom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Leslie! I have black/gray/brown granite in my kitchen with maple cabinets, hard wood floors, and stainless appliances. We just painted the walls Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore (greige), and I love it all!! So much for the comments about dark granite, it is still beautiful and compliments and warms our large open kitchen/family room. We also replaced a vanity top in the guest bathroom, and it is a beautiful granite of white, off white, marbled with gray, and some taupe. It is called "White Ice" I love the look, and how beautifully it goes with our soft gray walls, and offwhite vanity and tile floor. It is polished, and has more definition and color than honed Carara Marble. Now that your walls are gray, the stainless appliances would look better, and break up all that white. PS your kitchen looks awesome now!
    leslie1228 thanked mplsmom
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    WOW!!! I can't believe how much better the house looks. maybe time to start a new thread since most people are not reading it all. You did a great job so far and with more suggestions to follow, you will be in great shape to list your home next spring. Who knows you may decide to stay put!
    leslie1228 thanked sunnydrew
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    I agree!!
  • Bridget
    10 years ago
    Any new pictures to post? Love to see kitchen painted!
  • yvesun
    10 years ago
    Okay so if you are selling in the Spring, don't go overboard redoing everything. The next people who purchase your house will in doubtingly redo it anywise, A few touch ups is really all that is needed. The light sage green is very pretty. Enlarges the two rooms. Over the winter I think bamboo matchstick blinds would look nice on the family room windows, it will also block some of the cold.
    leslie1228 thanked yvesun
  • susanvetter
    10 years ago
    Think your kitchen (without the wallpaper) looks fantastic--lots of natural light in your house--I bet the house will fly off the mkt...we bought a house this summer that was on the mkt for a year--they needed to do what you are doing--..
    leslie1228 thanked susanvetter
  • shelbyangel02
    10 years ago
    The wall paper must go.

We just bought a place and seeing some of the stuff people had in their old houses completely turned me off of them.

For us stainless appliances weren't that important and I had zero interest in new granite counter tops because I didn't want to pay for a kitchen I really didn't love.

We ended up paying less for something we are making the way we like than paying for something I was going to want to tear out right anyway. But some people are perfectly happy paying more for a generic kitchen.
    leslie1228 thanked shelbyangel02
  • odessagirl
    10 years ago
    At one point you were a buyer too. There were things about the house during the shopping process that was particularly hard to overcome as it may have been too overwhelming. This would potentially be the case if a buyer saw this space.

I'd agree with everyone on the wallpaper and the stainless steel appliances. The wall paper is too dark and taste-specific. Regarding wall color-- Warm it up with a greige tone with bright white trim. Save $$ by slip covering your living room furniture and adding interesting pops of pillows with some textures.

Countertop: depending on the current state of your white hard surface, I'd say clean it and keep it--and add backsplash. Maybe add some glass subway tile backsplash (in a fun chevron layout?) in either mother of pearl or something with grey veining in it (marble esque). One other back splash idea--tin mosaic tiles. Right on with the sink idea. I think it'll complement the above very well. Good luck with this project!
    leslie1228 thanked odessagirl
  • kozakoza10
    10 years ago
    No girl
  • hazeldazel
    10 years ago
    Wow, the kitchen looks fantastic without the wallpaper! What a transformation - so pretty, looks bigger and sooooo much lighter! Great job, can't wait to see more pictures.
    leslie1228 thanked hazeldazel
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    Lisa, same reason I never used to get dark carpet. I'd much rather see the dirt to know to clean it than let it sit there unnoticed :D
    leslie1228 thanked diyher
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    good job, but I think you are wasting your money changing the counters and the lighting. Unless of course you want to take the lighting with you and replacing it with something else. Most times the first thing someone will change in a new house is lighting, so they could very well toss it out as fast as you put it up.
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    diyher, amen to that! I don't like dark anything….so much easier to clean and maintain!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    For sure no wall paper. Other advice you have sounds right. Go for it. Their are sprays on market that protect stainless from fingerprints. But you are right it is main trance. But, you have to go with what buyers want. do granite in a soft gray not dark with a stainless subway backsplash. It will appeal to more people. Keep house very uncluttered. Put family pictures away. Make paint colors neutral like soft grays which are very popular now. Keep all rooms same colors. Pulls on cabinets brush nickel, all finishes the same. Brush nickel. If bathrooms need updating do it for top dollar. Bathrooms, and kitchens sell houses. You will get 110% return on monies spent.
    leslie1228 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove area rug from kitchen looks tacky. Get a professional stager in when ready. Houses staged get sold in less than 30 days.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    This weekend, go play "buyer" and tour some open houses in your home's price range (what you want to get out of it.) Pay attention and take notes - no one will notice or care as people viewing many homes try to keep tabs. Take pix too if you want. Remember, you are selling prospects their home now, not yours. It can't continue to look like "yours" and appeal to "them!" Therefore, remove your personality and personal fingerprint from it. Make it look more like a model home - neutral, updated and a tad on the minimal side decor wise. Be sure each room is furnished for an obvious function (office, bedroom, family room) and not anything like a combo office/TV/bedroom. Each space should have a vignette that says to prospects, "You're home..." This means 50% of your stuff needs to be packed up and ready to move out. Rent a storage space and get it out - this goes for the garage, attic and basement. What you don't want to move can go "bye-bye." Even take off season clothing and shoes out and pack them up so closets will look extra spacious - even a little empty. This is your big chance to make a perfect first impression, so don't let personal sentiment goad you into missing the money you want for the new home!
    leslie1228 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    By spring prices will be up more. When you get close to listing go see your competition.
  • Lisa M. Rogers
    10 years ago
    Travis, that's not necessarily true. There are many, many factors other than staging. Mind you, I appreciate interior design and "staging" as much as anyone, but having it priced to sell is key if you want to sell it quickly.
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    I'm not going to be popular with this comment, but here goes. Find out what it will cost to do everything the real estate agent advised you to do, including the appliances. If after doing so you can afford to make all the changes, and are assured you will get the asking price, make the changes. If not, you will have to be prepared to adjust the price. Since your home sits on a golf course, I'm assuming the buyer would have to be someone who can afford to take the wallpaper down, and may even gut the kitchen, so keep that in mind too. Frankly, I think your kitchen is beautiful!
    leslie1228 thanked halfpint2
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I agree, If not priced right won't sell.buyer are very sophisticated with the Internet and all. But, I'm saying it's not expensive to get a stagger views on how to stage your home. That will help sell it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I was in Real Estate for many years in California. Unless buyer is looking for a fixer. They do don't want to move and do work. They will buy the house, that needs the less upgrades, if priced the same. You can get pkg deals on stainless appl. Shop well. Removing wallpaper and painting not expensive and may bring you top dollar.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Your light in dining area is fine. As long as it's not gold. A simple inexpensive upgrade can make you $$$.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    I don't call having to buy a new light fixture or change a sink or counter top a deal breaker. We are catering to these bratty young buyers that want it all and want it now with no work or even 2 hours of extra work required :)
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    We sold 3 mos ago with multiple offers by following our Realtor's advice to update our kitchen (new cabinets, counters, backsplash, and paint). We rented a storage unit and de cluttered like crazy. It's amazing how much "stuff" you accumulate over 20 years! The whole process allowed us to detach ourselves emotionally as our family home became just a house to be staged and marketed. In the end we accepted an offer well above what we ever thought we could get. Unfortunately it was also more than the house appraised for so we had to compromise. We still fared better than expected. My suggestion is to follow your Realtor's advice but make sure the comps will support the new value. Kitchen and baths sell homes and your kitchen will be stunning!!

PS - When purchasing our new home we were torn between a builder's model and a pre-owned home in the same subdivision. We bought the existing home because I refused to strip all the wallpaper in the builder's model. Food for thought.
    leslie1228 thanked mamadubbs
  • dessyanaiwan
    10 years ago
    You can replace your current kitchen furniture and get stainless appliances for your beautiful kitchen. It is the great and feasible idea to get replacement of white appliances with stainless appliances. If I say, Appliances connection is the best selling appliances for stainless steel appliances. It offers a wide variety of home and kitchen appliances with nation wide free shipping and deals also. Get it today !!

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/best-sellers.html
    leslie1228 thanked dessyanaiwan
  • leslie1228
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just wanted to let you all know with the wallpaper removed, new black grey granite countertops, and new carpet in living dining room, and stairs, the house sold in january for 10m less than asking.In this area, homes over 400,00 are still stagnant. I was happy with the offer, although i did put about 10,000 in upgrades. I have purchased a new hone in the area, and have posted an exterior picture for advice. We are gutting inside, i'll be posting that as well. really could not have done it without you. My thanks to all of you are immeasurable.

of course, i can't find the new thread to ply all your brains!

• Anne Parker
    8 years ago

What an interesting project! It is probably the wallpaper's dark background color that you really like but the wall paper itself is ready to be updated, possibly with a light-medium gray or light-medium beige/platinum PAINT COLOR, depending if your tastes and if the rest of house goes with the neutral Beiges or with the new neutral Grays. Keep checking out PINTEREST paint photos, samples, etc for wall paint colors. Your CABINETS look beautiful in the picture so unless you want to update their door/drawer HARDWARE, plus the plumbing FIXTURES, they are fine. Update/Color Coordinate the Kitchen Wall paint and Granite Counter Top (and backsplash if you are changing it). GRANITE would add the interest and texture your eye is losing without wall paper. You have to know/have Sink Fixture and Appliances before granite people can proceed when you pick out granite. Check out actual granite stores (not just big box stores) for a wide selection of granite slabs patterns and colors and their UNDERMOUNT SINK choices, but don't go crazy on style. Either a)pick out the exact stone counter top and find the wall paint color (and Backsplash) to go with it, or b)pick a wall paint color and find the stone counter top to go with the paint. Replace APPLIANCES to STAINLESS (at least STOVE ! which affects the FIT measurements for Granite cuts) especially if the house is in a medium-high end neighborhood. (Best Buy gives a good deal the more you buy, some sales people will negotiate.. Get at least best sale price. $100-Paint; $3000-ish-Granite top/Edge (select from included choices, Full Bullnose or Pencil cuts)/Sink: choose wisely and from a number of competitive Granite stores (usually actual slabs are outside so watch weather). Cost estimates: $150-ish-Sink Fixture, $-?Cabinet Hardware; $5-6000 Appliances. Plus, If you want to replace bathroom VANITY Counter Tops with Granite, ask to see their REMNANT slabs (Know your Side-Side top measurement so they know what size remnant slabs to take you to. Most of it is just dealing with the Granite Companies and having all your materials/measurements there. Also plumbing is needed, unless you can pay extra to the Granite Company. The rest is just doing legwork to select products. Amazing update is doable!

leslie1228 thanked Anne Parker
  • Anne Parker
    8 years ago

lol, just read your post. Congrats on project and sale, and new home!

leslie1228 thanked Anne Parker
  • Bridget
    8 years ago

Very happy to find out you sold your home and have found a new one. Good luck with renovations!

• gardgen
    18 days ago

Dont spend alot of money. I would get rid of wallpaper and repaint the kitchen a warm neutral. Look at Pottery Barn or West Elm Catalogs. they spend alotnof money picking on trend colors. leave the counters and sink. everyones taste is different. Offer the buyer an appliance allowance at the time of closing .They can usenit for what is important to them.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    18 days ago

Old post from 2013