Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jabelone

Jabelone
12 years ago
Need inspiration pictures of bathroom/walk-in combo along the lines shown in blueprints. Whole master area is 21 X 21 so the bathroom/closet is 10 X 21 or two rooms of about 10X 10 each. Would like bathroom/ closet to feel like one room but with separation for privacy. Appreciate any photo layout ideas or thoughts, comments about the combination concept in a contemporary home..

Comments (16)

• TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    For separation privacy between bathroom and closet: Pocket Doors. I have pocket doors and also I have a similar arrangement of closet and bath and it all works well.
  • PRO
    Jabelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Dytecture, thanks. Yes, we were worried about the bowling alley issue too. Unfortunately there is a centre beam which is supporting the roof so we can't change the dimensions without some load restructuring. Agree the doors should be symmetrical too, unless we make single access on the walk-in closet side only. I guess that would provide more usable space in the bathroom area? PS. former Calgarian myself.

j22b: we have a lot of pocket doors too which work well in tight spaces. We were wondering about something more open - like possibly a frosted glass sliding door or even no door at all between the closet and the bathroom. As long as the toilet and shower are isolated in their own spaces, maybe a door isn't necessary between the sink/vanity and the closet?
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    Door probably is not needed. I have doors on our closets that also go off the sink/vanity area, but almost never close them. Still, I'm happy to have the choice that I could close a closet door. A frosted glass sounds tempting.
  • PRO
    Splash Galleries, Inc.
    12 years ago
    Since that shower looks fairly large, I'd suggest doing a rainhead from the ceiling and a fixed heads, or 2 fixed heads. Another thing I'd suggest with the large shower is to run a heated floor system into the shower. There are a couple companies that make products that allow that.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Jabelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks Dionne. I'll check that out. We still haven't resolved the layout for the bathroom walk/in closet renovation (won't start it until May).
  • clyon
    12 years ago
    We just redid our master - a few thoughts:

We put in a pocket door with frosted glass in our upstairs laundry room. It works nicely to give privacy (read: hide laundry piles) but at the same time, lets light in.

We also have a pocket door (no frosted glass) between our master bath and walk-in closet and like j222b, I like having the option and am glad we did it, but in reality, we almost never close that pocket door.

Finally, if you are looking to make the bath and closet feel more like one, try getting rid of the entrance to one of them from the bedroom. We have one entrance from the bedroom to the bathroom; once in, the shower is straight ahead, the vanity and toilet area is to the right. The entrance to the closet is directly left of the bathroom entrance. In essence, you have to go in the bathroom to get in to the closet, but not really. I think it makes the space feel really nice. If this is at all helpful, I can send photos. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Dionne Trifiro
    12 years ago
    Hi, I recommend hiring a designer and or architect who should be able to solve your issues in time for your reno. You will avoid costly mistakes and their access to many great products will give you a better choice and actually save you money. Designers are professionals, this is what I tell my clients... If u need a tooth pulled you wouldn't do it yourself! Renovating a bathroom can be more painful!
    Good luck whichever way you go! :)
  • LEYA Matalas
    12 years ago
    yes you will need to further discuss with your builder/ architect/contractor.. any revisions.
    The only thing I see in this plan- is the symmetry of doors. and I would recess both of them aligned. The bathroom has room for a normal door, and the pocket door is not needed here. Open towards the window. S/b on the same line as the walk in door. Give the space area to the bedroom side as much as possible- so the wall will be just abit short of where the counter redge comes now. When you are facing the bed area- you want to see nice panels on each side could be mirror panel doors, or decorative doors, or plain panels. but that would improve the look of a utility door.
  • PRO
    Kisarau Architect, LTD.
    12 years ago
    Hello,
    Here are my 2 cents worth - You will ALWAYS hear the sink running from the bed when someone else is brushing their teeth or washing up. Can you move the bed - OR the sinks? Also, I think the enclosed toilet room will make the bathroom feel smaller. There, 2 cents!
  • PRO
    Kisarau Architect, LTD.
    12 years ago
    Here is my suggestion
  • PRO
    Kisarau Architect, LTD.
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Note that the shower head (pipes) are in the portion of the shower AWAY from the bed wall. When you walk in, you see the vanities and mirrors - that makes the room feel bigger (mirrors). Turned the toilet so he room feels samller (but really isn't)
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    12 years ago
    Thats a good thought above, If the pipes are not already in place in that wall- mirrored walls trump an enclosed shower on entry.
  • PRO
    Jabelone
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for the input. Appreciate the ideas Leya and the drawing Kisarau. We had thought of the noisy pipe issue but it could be minimized with metal plumbing and some Roxall sound insulation in the wall. For that matter, sliding pocket doors could make that wall noisier as well ( we have several pocket doors already but none behind a sleeping area). Valid point about what the first "view" is upon entering the bathroom, but we would like to avoid the angled sinks on different walls. Angled walls like that do make things a bit tricky thought, don't they? Maybe the door to the bathroom could be eliminated in favor of a single entrance through the closet? The closet would have to be done very nicely like this:

Steur Alverez bathroom · More Info
  • LEYA Matalas
    12 years ago
    If you were in a rush to get to the Bathroom, its a longer route via the walk in. Re-sale, people usually like BR access? I like those pocket doors. Kisaru allowed for 2 sinks and counter area in between.. I can see 3 large equal panel mirrors, one above each sink and one in the middle. If you like sconce lights you can go thru the mirror. It would create a dramatic reflective corner upon entry and open the space. That layout allows for a nicer rectangular shower. The wall placement keeps it linear, and I think you prefer the sleek look of your attachment. Counter footage appears the same in each layout. It comes down to how confident you are about wall sound. In the quiet of nite- I think you'd hear the smallest of sounds.. but it may be a smaller issue the sink would not be used during sleep. Think of how your routine unfolds. I think the floor space is more interesting in the second layout.. less of a corridor. A corner mirror gives you every angle too : ), if there is a woman in the house doing hair and makeup.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH