Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathysuzanne

DESPERATE for accessory suggestions for dining room!

cathysuzanne
10 years ago
We just moved into a mid century modern ranch and love it. We bought a new dining table and chairs. We don't want to do all mid century era designs. I need suggestions for a large centerpiece and artwork and accessories. HELP???

Comments (102)

• cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lyda - how did you do that? That is so cool! The chandelier we are looking at is by Justice Design Group - a 24 inch bowl w/bruched nickel crossbar. Would you have the chandelier semi flush mount or dropped? if dropped, by how many inches? You are all so kind to help!
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    decoenthusiaste, so, with a ceiling of 8 feet high - the chandelier should hang lower than 36 inches above the table top? I'm confused. When we did have a meal at the table, we were thinking it was good we did not have a hanging chandelier as we would not see each other, but now my husband wants the 20 inch drop like above. I was thinking a semi mount - all opinions are more than welcomed!!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    General rule of thumb for chandelier height above a tabletop for good eating light is the bottom of the chandelier should be about 32-36" above the tabletop. A standard table height is 30", so add 36" you're up to 5'6" to the bottom of the chandy. That leaves 30" to the ceiling, so 20" would be too high. How tall is the fixture from the bottom to the canopy?
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Cathysuzanne! I use the very basic Olioboard website but it still helps to give an idea. This is the best I could do using the image you posted. I don't particularly like (semi) flush-mount lighting - I much prefer the way a hanging ceiling fixture fills an empty space.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    That chandelier is too low, and I think a semi-flush mount would bring it to the right height for the table.
    cathysuzanne thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    I feel the dining room looks perfect with cosy wooden flooring, but ceiling looks way too down, due to which lighting seems pretty cluttered.
    cathysuzanne thanked Robert
  • PRO
    Elizabeth's Glass Gallery
    10 years ago
    A stained glass panel would look amazing in that round window frame.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    Furniture wise, I agree with a dining room sideboard but not facing the circular window -use the length of the room to make it look longer. Then add a rectangular mirror above it to go with dining furniture, then add a a wide vase of flowers on top of sideboard.

Under the table add a rug, on the table put a table runner and a vase of lemons or a classic candle holder that can hold several candles.

I would also add a couple of tall house plants in the corners or besides the round window.
    cathysuzanne thanked Momof5x
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is what we have done so far, thanks to all of your suggestions!
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More views of the room
  • User
    10 years ago
    Looks good.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Your art and the turquoise bowl are inspired! But please lower your canvas to about here:
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't go quite that low, but it should come down about 4-6". The center of the art should be at 55-60". I love the art, BTW.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The center of the art should be eye level, but remember, eye level is lower when you're sitting at a dining table.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    But that puts the bottom of the art lower than the top of the sideboard, which looks funny.
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    I love what you have done with the room so far! Love the artwork too! I think the sideboard might look better on that back wall, so the table can sit directly under the chandelier - evenly spaced. I personally (just my opinion) - I'm sure others would disagree; but I would hang a huge round mirror on that wall across from the window to "mirror the window". Your home is lovely and you are doing a great job!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Nancy, it centers the art (more or less) on the window which is proper in this case. I don't think having it lower than the sideboard looks funnier than having it higher than or even with the window. Trust me on this one.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I think the top should be even with the top of the window, at least, which your photoshop shows it almost there.
  • wuff
    10 years ago
    I love what you have done, I agree with one comment above re art and glass looking beautiful together.
  • PRO
    Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
    10 years ago
    I like the picture on the wall, it is fascinated that makes the room looks much more space/room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Cassie has finally found a room for her art, but the owner has already purchased something! Personally, I think the piece is too large proportionally for the furniture, but do think the top of it needs to be at or lower than the top of the window. I too would like to see the table turned, centered on the window and under a dramatic chandy. In this space that might eliminate the sideboard, but there could be room on the back wall for a slender floating buffet shelf.
    Northbrook House · More Info
    Newbury Street Penthouse · More Info
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Much better, but agree that the painting is hung too high. Align it with the window or, IMO even better, place it opposite the window and move the buffet to the back wall. Tall glass art or metal art pieces on the buffet can add a visual element to the back wall without competing with the window in a way that wall art does--and your recessed lights will wash that wall for nighttime visual interest anyway. Great selection.
  • hdenglish
    10 years ago
    Original art is the way to go. You've got a beautiful"blank canvas", your walls. Check out ugallery.com, Helene English.
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cassie, may I have the link to your art work? This is an original oil that we paid more for than I care to share. We do love art and were thinking of sculptural pieces for the buffet. Thx for everyone's suggestion for lowering the painting.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Cassie, it's "let me," not "lemme."
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, Cassie: These paintings are a bit dark....but very interesting.
  • izriz
    10 years ago
    Ashley where can I found the art work you suggested ?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Cassie, do you know that you are using the wrong spelling of "because"? If you were to post sounding more professional, maybe people would pay more attention to you.
  • Samuel Benbow
    10 years ago
    A sleek console, some art or a mirror and a couple small lamps would definitely liven up the back wall. a chandelier could work, depending on your taste, you definitely have room for it. beautiful space with lots of possibilities. Think form and function before you go overly decorative. especially in a space like this with no obvious storage (for table linens, serving utensils, etc.,).
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Samuel - if you look closely, we did find a petite size buffet which does have some storage in it. However, I totally agree with you - do not want to overly decorate! I purchased a Maitland Smith lamp, which I will post, for the buffet - gorgeous. I am now seeking a flushed mount ceiling light for the dining room - very very simple - almost like a flood light - any suggestions? I don't want anything to hang down.
  • Samuel Benbow
    10 years ago
    Now I see. :) For your style, what you've chosen looks nice. Like Lydia suggested, I too, would try the buffet on the back wall, and maybe move the art to opposite the window wall (it's probably too large to keep above the buffet comfortably.) The light fixture is centered in the room, and now the table is not underneath it (which may or may not matter to you as you're seeking a flushed mount light,) but if you rearrange the furniture, it might look more balanced. You have a lovely space and you've chosen lovely furnishings. Keep up the good work! It's all trial and error sometimes.
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, we are getting there. We just added this sculptural lamp by Maitland Smith. We were going to lower the painting but it would get in the way of the person sitting at the head of the table and little children's fingers that like to touch walls. I think NO rug????
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    No, you don't have space for a rug without running into walls or furniture on the walls. Love the lamp but it seems to need a mate.
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a "mate" for it in the entry way, which can look directly into the dining room.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Something to balance the height of the lamp is needed, say a silver ta set, a piece of glass art. Coming together well, IMO.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    Find a round mirror for the wall opposite the window. It will create symmetry and allow you to do anything you want in the middle. Large scale art?
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, Garden Oaks - do you mean on the buffet next to the taller lamp in the dining room? I totally agree!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thx, cathysuzanne, exactly!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    I absolutely love your art. You've done a great job thus far! Your round window is really stunning, by the way. Gorgeous room!
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shakuff - thank you so much for the very kind words! I've been so hesitant about finding just the right pieces to go in that room. Believe it or not, nothing is a set, i.e. the chairs are different styles than the table and buffet. I am beginning to love the room as well.
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shakuff - I just tried calling your establishment in NY to talk about a light fixture, but they wanted to transfer me to a store in Denver - are you available to speak with me?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Cathysuzanne, don't worry too much about finding exactly matching pieces. This tends to convey "I bought the display suite". Complementary, well chosen but non-matching pieces suggests "I have generations of good taste behind these collected pieces that I've pulled together in this space".

Re lighting, be aware of the distinction between the fixture as art and the effect of light. A fixture as art is a focal point (that may complement or compete with your other design elements. The effect of light is achieved through directing light, controlling intensity and beam, so that your design features become focal elements with the fixture fading into the space so as to be almost invisible. In between is the typical range of fixtures, some more attractive than others, some quite ugly and some quite beautiful, but not approaching art/craft and typically serving more narrow task or general light needs. Decide first what you want to do with light, then how you will achieve it.

For dining, think, too, about the colour temperature of light sources to achieve the effect you want relative to food presentation, skin tones of diners, etc. Dimmers are highly recommended.

Shakuff has some splendid fixtures that are works of art. Shakuff, can you share a bit about your lines for illuminating art, walls, etc? Beautiful glasswork!
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, there, Garden Oaks (I apologize I don't know your real name)! I'm thinking of something VERY simple for a light fixture (and, yes, with a dimmer). I would want something flush to the ceiling and not too trendy. I, personally, believe the mid century modern is going to be out of style quickly, so I am deliberately going for wood tones and pieces that do not match. Shakuff showed me the fixture shown on the link below. Loved it but thought I may want a circular one - what do you think? I truly appreciate your detailed feedback! Many, many thanks. http://www.shakuff.com/index.html?f=products&product=126
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    @Cathysuzanne, I got word from him, and I am glad you were finally able to get through with our rep! @Garden oaks fine accommodation, all of our art glass is custom made and hand painted by our artist. Some have gone as far as to illuminate multiple large wall panels, creating a gorgeous back-lit piece of art. We also carry a line of beautiful art glass tile which is sold exclusively through Ann Sacks. You can see more on our wall panels/ art glass here: http://www.shakuff.com/decor.htm
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi, Cathysuzanne - I'm John, an independent designer and in-house design project lead for Garden Oaks Fine Accommodation.

Yes, circular elements work in your space. A ball shape would resonate with the window without being too literal a reference (see Shakuf's Kadur ;-)

A minimalist--or artisan--downlight can be very effective in illuminating flowers on a table, a centerpiece, etc. The two 6" recessed lights could be gimbals that permit directing the light onto the artwork or to wash the corners to create some architectural interest at a nominal cost.

Hope some of these ideas help! @shakuff, thanks for the link! Kadur is splendid--I imagine these can be hung at variable lengths. In the particular space, that might not work as the clean sightline through to the art is important. I see why you might suggest the fixture you did - but perhaps you have something in tones that better suit the art (?). Must bow out for the moment--just got a reminder I've got "stuff to do"!

Gimball example attached for reference:
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, John - thank you! I think you really are getting the look I'm going after. I would love a light fixture that is so simple - nothing that would take away from any aspect of the room. Do you think the light above would work where the ceiling fixture should go right now (see flood light in center of ceiling above table). The quartz that Shakuf suggested may even be too elaborate. I just want a clean, look....am I making sense????
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    This will teach me to read ALL the comments and check the dates! Love your art glass for the table! Here's where I WAS going with this. The chandelier is from http://www.allmodern.com/Artecnica-Phrena-Pendant-in-White-F8454WHTY0-AIC1068.html
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi Cathysuzanne - I like gimbals because they can be forgiving in terms of furniture placement, etc. You can aim the light and they are essentially flat and unobtrusive. For example, if you did use a gimbal over the table, it would likely aim straight down if the table is squarely under the light source. But, if opening leaves for a larger gathering, you could aim it slightly to shine down on a centrepiece on a longer table that shifts it out of alignment with the fixture above. I have one over a teak ball from which our coffee table glass is suspended--cool effect to be able to angle it to illuminate the ball through the glass.

That said, a close to the ceiling fixture--circular--that anchors the room and provides a downlight could work well (unless the table is not dead centre. In the latter case, I'd opt for a recessed gimball or minimally suspended directional downlight.

Good luck!
  • cathysuzanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, John, THANK YOU! I had never heard of a Gimbal and will definitely look at them! I would love to see how you have yours over your coffee table (which I am also in the market for in the living room - we have no coffee table!). How do I send you my personal email?
  • PRO
    Appleton Art Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hi CathySuzanne: If you are still interested in artwork,please take a look at my website: www.appletonartdesign.com.~Amie
Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County