Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_megan_

Would you add a hanging light?

I'm having trouble deciding on if and what type of hanging light to add above my ottoman.... Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! Would you change anything else?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    That would be a nice option to have a light above the ottoman.

Open Floor Plan · More Info
  • PRO
    Amparo Del Rio, C.I.D.
    10 years ago
    I would not add any pendant lighting to this interior. I think there are too many horizontal shapes already. If anything it would be a "task light" which would allow the user to read while sitting in the sofa. .
  • PRO
    Distinctive Designs of Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had the couch in the center of the room by the fireplace, but it really made the room feel smaller and when you walked into the house, you walked into the back of the couch.

I had thought about an arc lamp too! I really love the,. I ended up purchasing one but had to return it because it hung too low, and didn't sit right for the space.
  • Sarah Lipovenko
    10 years ago
    your space already has enough pot lights, wall and table lamp in this area, adding a recessed lighting above your ottoman will look too much/not necessary at all...also it wont serve any purpose- you have enough lighting nor as a decorative piece.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I would not hang one over the ottoman ... I'd like to see one over the table though.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I like your space.
    very nice
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I tried over the table, but unfortunately it would cost a ton of money to do the electric wiring and its already wired over the ottoman..
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Anne!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Although a semi-flush chandelier would look nice, it would restrict the ability to rearrange the room too much.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What is the lamp on by the love seat? It seems too low and looks out of proportion right there. I was going to suggest putting a lamp on the other end of the couch, but see a pet bed there. Hmmm.......I also think there needs to be something between the two pieces. Could you use a taller table there? If not, I would get rid of the lamp since there is light on the wall right there. THEN I would walk away, knowing the rooms look great!
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    Good to know, megan.

I think you could use some larger scale (tall) table or floor lamps to help anchor the seating area and give you more varied task lighting.
  • mommickey
    10 years ago
    If you want to add something. There is a register company that makes really nice vents. They make one that matches your ottoman. I think it looks great. http://www.pacificregisterco.com/customMetalRegisters.html this one is made by them. If you type in http://brookegiannetti.typepad.com/velvet_and_linen/2010/03/what-weve-learned-vent-grillesregisters.html you can see some of the changed register in real rooms it may be just want you are looking for to fill what you you seem to feel is missing with a light. If you look at the before and after it adds a touch of something to a room. The vent register is probably what is bothering you. You have plenty of light. The register is plain and distracting. Just a thought.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I really don't think you need a light fixture over the ottoman. Abbyjean is right about the lamp in the corner. The table it's on needs to be quite a bit higher or stack some large thick books under the lamp to raise it up.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the lamp that is on the end table in the corner.... I would put it on the other end of the couch but there isn't enough room for it there unless I rearranged other things. I'm open to it too!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    You're on the verge of getting too much going on. Your place looks nice--know when to stop.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    That lamp is beautiful! You do have good taste!! Do you have some books or something you could put it on to raise it up?
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    it looks nice, but just raising it won't help the scale. The lamp needs to be twice as large, IMO.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like the lamp and yes could get books or something like it to raise it up. Thought about getting a different table too eventually that would be a bit taller.
  • joelcoqui
    10 years ago
    A nice iron ceiling fan
  • PRO
    In Style Modern
    10 years ago
    No but i would add a lamp, an arch one
  • Lidia
    10 years ago
    Large round (to mirror the mirror shape) but airy, like those from RH.
    Nice space!
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    I don't think you need a chandelier over the seating area but I would replace the low lamp in the corner with a larger scaled taller 30" high table lamp. I recommend you add a large area rug under the dining table as the table needs to be grounded. Not sure the table needs to be set at an angle. It looks OK at an angle form the kitchen but not as well from the seating area. The solution might just be an area rug. The tall chair in front of the French doors does not seem to make sense. Is there another place in the house you could use it?
    Consider painting all the doors satin black and leaving the trim white as is.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    While the room is gorgeous as is, I could see a smart looking chandelier overhead. Nothing over the top, but something that allows the natural light to flow through the space and not take away from those amazing window views! At Pure Home, we curate combinations of style and function for a lot of people facing the same fine tuning challenges in their spaces – I added a few examples for you below to give you some ideas. Let us know what you think, and have fun collaborating on your space!

Yours in Houzzing,

Andie P., ASID
    Purehome.com

Cyan Design Maison Six Light Chandelier · More Info

Z-Lite Cosmopolitan Chrome 5 Light Chandelier · More Info

Z-Lite Mirach 6 Light Chandelier · More Info