Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emendez57

Kitchen in progress but something is off, please help

emendez57
10 years ago
Wall needs to be painted but unsure color and all the other little details that matter, please some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (19)

• Jocelyn Sapp
    10 years ago
    Very,very nice
    emendez57 thanked Jocelyn Sapp
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Under cabinet lights?
    emendez57 thanked DMH DESIGN
  • R C
    10 years ago
    HI! I'd say less things on the counter and definitely hardware on the cabinets. As for color, I'd pull one from the backsplash. Good luck
    emendez57 thanked R C
  • lonecouleeranch
    10 years ago
    Declutter your counter top. Perhaps a carpet under the table. Different window covering on the sliding glass door. Your kitchen cupboards color looks "off" could be the photo but maybe once you have done a few things, and painted the walls it might adjust you cupboard color. Good luck and post pictures when you have finished
    emendez57 thanked lonecouleeranch
  • tweeena
    10 years ago
    Is that ceiling fan or fluorescent lighting? Sometimes that throws off your color especially when picking paint. If it's in the budget good lighting would make a world of difference to your wall color :)
  • emendez57
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all for the responses. Its a ceiling fan but that's coming off, picked up a light fixture and smaller high hats to install.
  • emendez57
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm also thinking of painting the cabinets white, hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks again
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I think I would go with darker cabinets not lighter. White would do nothing for your counter top and a dark color pulled from your backsplash or even black would make both pop. It looks like you have good natural light in your kitchen.
    emendez57 thanked sbrustein
  • PRO
    Emma DeRoche Interior Design
    10 years ago
    You can definitively play with the bare wall and bring in interest as a focal point!
    Since your kitchen is neutral i'd go either with
    - A classy mat black wall (chalk paint to add interactiveness?) with white or pop colored modern window treatments, or…
    -Pop of color wall with light grey or black window treatment.
    The color could be a beautiful RED and could match a set of cutlery or pots…

Definitively add WINDOW and DOOR trimmings. A contemporary stylish light above the table. Under cabinet light strips, distinctive hardware (maybe even repurposed to add character and balance with the modern flair), declutter the countertops and only keep a few larger kitchen pieces. No Phone! :) Maybe also a Moroccan contemporary runner (memory foam for cooking comfort).

Good Luck!
    emendez57 thanked Emma DeRoche Interior Design
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    I agree going dark with the cabinets would look great.
    emendez57 thanked regina5697
  • Lan Huynh
    10 years ago
    as you have light coloured tiles I'll go for dark cabinets and under cabinet lighting
    emendez57 thanked Lan Huynh
  • harryjeep
    10 years ago
    I actually think your cabinets are fine... Are your floors new or old ? I think nice darker tile floors would be nice. I agree on adding hardware for cabinets also.
    emendez57 thanked harryjeep
  • louisemcd
    10 years ago
    Personally I like what you have done so far! Add great lighting and some color on the table but I wouldn't go fussy with further window treatments.
    emendez57 thanked louisemcd
  • PRO
    Designs by Lianne
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Dark walls will add a little drama, maybe a charcoal colour. 2" wood blinds in a similar colour to the cabinet will balance the space. Add a cornice box over the window and sliding door in the same wood tone to complete the look. Clear off the counters and accent with some
    bold red appliances.
    emendez57 thanked Designs by Lianne
  • PRO
    Meteor Electrical
    10 years ago
    I agree with the others on under cabinet lighting just adds a unique twist. there are of course lots of different styles and types out there. You could go for a Recessed Cabinet Light or a strip light for under the cabinet often seen as a lot easier to install.
    emendez57 thanked Meteor Electrical
  • hatetoshop
    10 years ago
    I like the cabinet colour, and think black hardware would look great.. Also -- can you centre the table on the window?
    emendez57 thanked hatetoshop
  • emendez57
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All the comments have been very helpful, i picked up the under cabinet lighting and cleared the counter, still have a few things to go, can't wait for the finished product. Will post after pictures soon. Thanks!
  • merrigay
    10 years ago
    I'm totally in the minority but I hate cabinet hardware. I don't have it and I don't miss it. Nor would I paint the cabinets or the wall--looks like a nice neutral green. I would get some nice window treatments, placemats and a rug under the table with colors you like that go with the other colors in the room. I'd try to incorporate the wall and tile color in them.