Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathknapp

Building House-Buy Materials Online Or Through Builder?

heathknapp
10 years ago
We are finalizing the floor plans for our new house and we are (of course) coming in over budget before we've even started picking out all the finishes. We need to do everything to reduce costs. The builder has contacts for flooring, plumbing fixtures, etc, but he's also said that we can purchase anything we want online (or anywhere) to save money. My Question Is, Are There Different Plumbing Fixture Grades Depending On Where You Purchase Them? We want to save money, but not at the cost of quality. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    The simple answer is yes, there are different grades depending on where you buy them.......
    heathknapp thanked S. Thomas Kutch
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Absolutely, there are different grades of everything. The less expensive have a lot of plastic parts.

We just had a client that purchased their own products and then got us involved in the project. We installed their selected flooring. The job has only been finished three months now. We went back over there a couple of days ago and the flooring they had purchased is already looking horrible - looks like someone has walked on the floor with high heels on and ruined it. A costly mistake on their part - but it saved money on the front end.

Buyer beware. A deal is not always a deal.
    heathknapp thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • heathknapp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks S Thomas Kutch and Deborah Butler. To follow up, to save money can I buy "plumber grade" (i.e. high quality) fixtures online rather than through the contractors plumbing supply contact? I was thinking http://www.faucetdirect.com might be a good source. Thanks!
  • heathknapp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All valid and helpful points Deborah Butler... We will check into all these things. Thanks!
  • John Hodsdon
    10 years ago
    If you are going to purchase materials outside of your contract with the general contractor you need to work this out up front. If you go back to the contractor after the contract has been let and then ask to buy the carpet or cabinets or windows, you need to make sure that you get the full value back. The contractor will be happy to give you his cost on the windows which you may or may not be able to beat. The problem is he is likely to keep the OH&P.
    heathknapp thanked John Hodsdon
  • heathknapp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good point on the OH&P. That would definitely need to be factored in. We got the contract the other day and although he verbally said we can buy from anywhere, it doesn't specify that in the contract.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    The contract should be very specific in order to protect all parties involved. Everyone should have the same understanding and the same information before anything is signed. Ask the contractor what is going to happen if you order materials and they don't work - what are the ramifications? Could extra charges apply under any circumstance? If so, then ask him/her to specify under what circumstances that could happen.
  • heathknapp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I definitely will do this. We are going through the contract now and will be meeting with the builder after the holiday to go over all of these points and get it in the contract. Deborah, you mentioned getting plumbing supplies through faucetdirect.com on occasion. I'm probably going with Kohler instead of the low-end Delta part numbers they have in the contract. When I tested ordering some of the Kohler items through FD, the site listed the other items that are needed to install them (eg. shower drain). The items descriptions also reassured me that I was getting quality parts (eg. "solid brass construction"). Should I feel confident buying this way to get quality at the best possible price? We are going to be WAY over on our budget and we need to save where we can. Thanks!!

Next, I'll be looking to buy online for lighting, lock sets/door handles, some cabinetry (laundry/bath/mud), flooring, closet shelving, etc. Any cost saving recommendations are Very Welcome! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all....
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I can't say for sure that you will get everything needed. We were trying to work with some folks that had already purchased all of their plumbing materials from build.com (again same as faucet direct). They had been sold a shower system by build.com that would not do what we would typically put together for a client shower. They were also told that they could not sell the pieces that we typically use - same Delta system that we get all the time from Ferguson. Due to differing part numbers between suppliers, it is hard to know you are getting everything you want/need. Other than that, we have had no real issues with their products or service.

One thing I would say is that we have very good luck with the better (non-builder grade) Delta products. They have a good universal valving system and have held up well. I wouldn't write them off because you think they are low end. I prefer the Delta kitchen faucets over the Kohler, we particularly use the Allora from Delta and the pull out works well and it snaps back into place and holds.

We have purchased some lock sets from build.com and all have worked well. You do need to give them the key code to have everything keyed before shipping.

One word of advice would be not to purchase flooring on-line. I have never seen it work well and it is something that is not easy to replace and is hard to live with if wrong. Pick out your flooring in person.
  • hollybegonia
    10 years ago
    I'm curious about your comment on buying flooring online. My husband and I recently picked out an engineered hardwood by Lauzon after seeing it in a showroom. Then I found a couple of places that sell the same product for almost half what the store quoted me (product alone, not installed). I was assured that the flooring carried a full factory warranty. We have not purchased it, because the whole job is now pending, but I wonder: Would you advise against this, and if so, why? Has anyone else done this kind of thing? (BTW, a while back we bought cabinet hardware through myknobs.com, saved a bundle, and were extremely pleased with the whole experience.)
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    The experience we have seen when some clients (or prospective clients) purchase online is that some online sellers aggregate seconds or items to be discontinued. The bundles may not all be out of the same lot number, they may have a disproportionate share of short lengths in them rather than a good variety of board lengths. If you have not seen a good sized sample you may get less (or more) color variation than you think you are buying. I put this in the category of buyer beware.
  • nechamaj
    10 years ago
    Wow! Really good advice here! Thanks for the insight!
  • hollybegonia
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Deborah.
  • 5951olivera
    7 years ago

Agreed, very useful, thank you!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus