Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleandecor

Need help with discolored grout.

John Joan Dean
10 years ago
"Iron transfer" onto grout was mentioned as a result, if not prepping ceramic tile properly, before grouting. I think this may be the problem we are facing. Our handyman has done many good jobs, but said he had no idea why the off-white color grout continues to turn rust-colored as soon as it dries, and it is only on one area of the shower- the side wall under a window. We've had it looked at, and no one knows why it keeps turning color. The tiler has scraped the grout out 2 times since, with no change! We are so frustrated, and live with an embarrassing, discolored shower stall! Do you have any ideas, other than replacing the whole thing, and starting again? Please give us some hope! Thanks for your reply.

Comments (7)

• carolannr
    10 years ago
    Is this the same brand of grout used in the other parts of the shower? Perhaps its as simple as the grout drying a different color on different base - since this is under a window, perhaps there was a repair in that wall area that introduced a different wall material into the mix. I have seen this problem occur when a metal pc was used to repair a wall and then drywall material was put on top of it and then the tile applied. Or, it may be as simple as there is water seeping behind the tile.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Google your problem with the term 'forum,' and you should find forum discussions on the subject on DIY sites where someone might have the answer you're looking for. I'd also google the name of the grout and what it's doing to see if you can find any discussions on that. If this is a common problem with it, you'll find it. And if someone has figured out how to solve the problem, they'll tell you. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Advent Home Solutions
    10 years ago
    Any chance you can post a photo?
    The pigment in grout is typically made form iron oxide but also some slate and quartzite tiles contain pyrite ... Either of these can leave a rusty stain in some cases if there is some sort of chemical reaction which could be caused by moisture in behind.
    John Joan Dean thanked Advent Home Solutions
  • maureenroth
    10 years ago
    We have very hard water in our area and have noticed this same discoloration on our shower curtains. I'm guessing it's from all of the iron in the water. Have you tried a grout that has a polymer additive mixed in instead of water. These don't apparently require sealing after they cure.
    John Joan Dean thanked maureenroth
  • John Joan Dean
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone for your helpful comments. We do have very hard water, and I have noticed a red tinge on our shower curtain as well; the area in question is directly splashed by water from the shower, however, we were told we did not need to seal this grout... We have always questioned that. Will try googling, and if no one can answer, we will re-grout with the polymer additive version. I'm thinking that is our best bet, at this point.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County