Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Fill in the blank: There is too much _______ in my house.

Emily H
10 years ago
What is there too much of in your house. Tell us and let's figure out what can be done. :)

Valley · More Info

Comments (52)

• Bond Girl
    10 years ago
    Electronic gagets! And not enough places for all of them to be plugged in.
    Emily H thanked Bond Girl
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Papers, papers, papers...I can't stand them.
    Emily H thanked armipeg
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    cleaning to do
    Emily H thanked suzanne_m
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    Slanted doorways, slanted electrical outlets, asbestos tile, cracked tile, windows that need replacing, floors that need refinishing, ugly hollow six panel big box store doors, light switches that need replacing, okay I'm tired of typing ... But I do appreciate just having a home even if the work is endless
    Emily H thanked Dreacorator
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Dust. From demo. From stucco. From sanding.
    Almost there though. No advise needed.
    Emily H thanked rinked
  • Bisi Okusami
    10 years ago
    Everything extra!!! Our room sizes in the UK are quite small. As soon as we declutter, other things surface. Husband buys gadget, I buy shoes & clothes for self and children. As much as I want to go paperless, I'm struggling : (
    Emily H thanked Bisi Okusami
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    I have a huge collection of dishes and glasses, everytime I think about selling some off someone comes for dinner and remarks how great it is to see all the different ways I set the table each time they come, then it's keep them i guess.
    Emily H thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • foreverfarm11
    10 years ago
    junk - I am actually about to move to a place 3 times the size of what I live in now and my goal is to get rid of most of the junk!
    Emily H thanked foreverfarm11
  • PRO
    Creative Custom Woodworks
    10 years ago
    bill mail
    Emily H thanked Creative Custom Woodworks
  • Lisa Rajack-Seels
    10 years ago
    Just stuff! No matter how much I declutter and get rid of stuff it never appears to make any difference. Or maybe I just live with an untidy family?!
    Emily H thanked Lisa Rajack-Seels
  • Sarah Sally
    10 years ago
    big cumbersome stuff - bicycles, sewing machines, suitcases, exercise equipment... and it's all in the same living/dining room. There's no storage space whatsoever for large items in the apartment. It makes me weep.
  • Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    old, rusty and dirty and furniture which is of no use and takes up a lot of space.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    Paper. Due to my ex husband and the IRS and State of Mississippi having disagreements about what taxes he should pay the last year we filed jointly, I have had to keep mounds of paper to convince the IRS and State of MS that I was not involved in trying to defraud them. Additionally, the paperwork from my divorce is becoming deeper every time I have to take him back to court for contempt because he didn't pay the alimony.

Useless stuff my ex husband collected that is worth tons of money to the right people but that I have not had time to catalog or market to the right groups. I finally got around to contacting a person about some of the old Pokemon cards and sold 20 of them for $200. Not bad...but also not worth the time I put in photographing each card individually and emailing the photographs. Why do I have to be the one to locate special interest groups for comic books, game cards, fountain pens, and all this other junk he liked? ARGH! I know how much he spent on this stuff and I can't bring myself to throw a fountain pen he spent $5000 on away but trying to locate someone to buy it for even 1/3 what was originally paid for it is a pain!
  • clairefromthecolonies
    10 years ago
    Stuff! That was easy. I have a terrible habit of wanting to save what I deem special items from going to the landfill and not being appreciated! I know what I must do about it and am now in the process of setting up an etsy shop in the hopes of getting these gems to the right people! The organization process at home has to happen first! I am hopeful that there are others with my taste out there looking for something with a story to tell for their home.....
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    foreverfarm11. Do try to get rid of all your stuff first- don't move it with you. Also, unless you are very disciplined, a 3 times bigger house will soon be filled up too- just with 3 times more stuff. :)
  • foreverfarm11
    10 years ago
    my biggest problem with the "stuff" is cleaning it - and since thats "my" job I can confidently say that "I" wont be the problem.....now my husband, that is who I have to worry about :)
  • wisneb
    10 years ago
    Still storing the kids' stuff on shelving in garage. Would be nice if they had room for their own stuff!
  • juliab51
    10 years ago
    Dog hair! I love my three little buddies, but man, do they shed!
  • dalrymple38
    10 years ago
    Builder white walls, 3+ years in the new house, new furniture, custom curtains ... Check. Paint, not a single wall done. Paint colors and I have a love-hate relationship. Time to call in professional help!
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    Knotty pine paneling.
  • Kari D
    10 years ago
    Refinishing that needs done. The previous owners had a dog they kept locked up in various rooms so the doors are scratched up, the floors are scratched and gouged from claws, and a couple window sills were chewed up. We fixed the sills and refinished the living room floor, but there's so much more to be done. I'm just thankful there aren't any urine stains.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Not inside, but outside........too much sidewalk to shovel in the winter, especially when there are days when it snows an inch every day and you need to be out there to clean it off. We love living on a corner lot, but that is the downside of it.
  • PRO
    The Color People
    10 years ago
    Usually you will find it has too much contrast between the trim and the siding or wall color
  • Monica Ellison
    10 years ago
    There are too many throw pillows in my home. They are on the furniture, beds, stored in closets and storage bins. Instead of rotating as the seasons change I find myself at the local Home Goods store purchasing more pillows in the latest color trend.
  • Monica Ellison
    10 years ago
    I also have one sofa too many...I just can't let it go.
  • PRO
    Suzy Falconer
    10 years ago
    Too many old kids toys and all the arts and crafts that come along with them. Time for a declutter!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Alcohol.

We're not big drinkers, but we do home brew mead and cognac and stock up for parties, and over the years, our liquor cabinet has filled to bursting. We live near one of the best liquor stores in the northeast -- how can you pass Bacon Vodka, Apple Pie Moonshine, or Lavender Mead at the liquor store and not bring it all home to try? I put in a wine cellar last year, which helped with the overflow, but still need to build a designated bar to houzz it all.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    dog hair, like julia above.............i can't keep up with it all! I don't know how my dogs and cat aren't bald!
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    @ Barnhart - how about a Houzzers party to help you, uh, sort through and re-distribute all that booze?!
  • chloebud
    10 years ago
    Stuff...stuff...stuff!!! I've been working in the garage for several days trying to get rid of things. Our new home has a ton of storage out there which may not be such a good thing. It's too tempting to keep junk when you have a place to put it. We're in the minority when it comes to keeping cars in the garage. Not many people we know have room for even one car in the garage. I just refuse to let that happen.

OMG...I hear you on the dog hair! Our daughter and son-in-law leave their (very sweet!) dog with us whenever they go out of town. The dog has short white fur which goes EVERYWHERE. How in the world do you get rid of it all???
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    bubblyjock -- I'm guessing you'll help with the champagne?
  • pickyvicky
    10 years ago
    Grandpa's tools!
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Cat Hair and LA Dust. Get a Roomba robot vacuum to keep up with daily cleaning!
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    In the house: Too much furniture; we just moved and need to get rid of some. I also love antiquing and need space for my finds, but moving made me rethink what I buy cause I hated packing it and finding space for it. The extras will go to consignment store soon.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    To much stuff! and renovating!
  • easternhomebuilder
    10 years ago
    dust, and pollen.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Testosterone!
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Stuff!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    So sorry Jessica. Have you looked into an estate liquidation service that could list and sell all of that stuff for you, for a percentage?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Dust: house (dustmite), the reddish brown dust and the greyish dust (windblow depends on which direction the wind is going), floor leveling compound dust, sawdust, and drywall grit, and soon to be drywall mud dust. Oh, forgot the thinset and grout grit from the floor and bathroom wall tiling. Then there's what gets tracked in from outside.

Get the hint?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    I've made a few inquiries, but these collections are so specialized so far no one has been interested. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been told that "no one is interested in that type of stuff and we only take things that move." Or, in the case of comics or collectable cards that they aren't interested because there are so many counterfeit ones on the market.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    JUNK.
  • Chris Warren
    10 years ago
    Stuff. 25 years worth of it. In the past three years I have had about six large garage sales and donate to ARC every time they call for pick up, about once every three weeks. I have left stuff out with "curb alerts" on CL. I've let my kids have anything they want for their first homes. I have limited buying to tools and supplies needed for current renovations, consumables, gifts, and replacements like linen, shoes, etc. But still...I have dedicated this month to doubling down and mostly donating, recycling, or trashing one thirty two gallon trash bag every day in an effort to see the light at the end of the tunnel by February, '14. I have a theory that once I remove some stuff, that the surviving stuff exhales when I'm not looking and refills the space.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Sign me up for the dog hair. My husband spent a lot of time and money getting me a non-shedding dog (said he was tired of seeing me do the "dog hair shuffle"). To show my appreciation, a year later, I acquired a little super shedder to keep him company - if nothing else, I get a daily vacuum/swifter work-out and the dog hair shuffle will never go out of style.
    Did I forget to mention clothes that 1. no longer fit, 2. will probably never come back into style?
    Glass jars: because you never know when you will need a glass jar apparently - and I'm prepared for that, if nothing else.
  • PRO
    Luminoso Design
    10 years ago
    STUFF ! everyone has a challenge of some sort, I suggest to my clients that if there is something that is sentimental but not your personal style, and yet you may feel obligated to keep it,... take a photo and create a scrapbook of memories and then LET it go, give it away that always feels best. Check us out for something wonderful that you now have the room to add to your interior space www.luminosodesign.com
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Dog hair people -- I'd be knee deep in white fur without my rubber broom. With it, you'd never even know I had a Great Pyrenees fur machine -- seen here after a roll in the mud...
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    @Barnhart - That's a lotta dog. My BF as a kid had one of those ;-)
  • Jeannie
    10 years ago
    For a short answer - everything!
  • dogmom5
    10 years ago
    Too much stuff packed in boxes in basement. Not enough room to display more of it in hutch we have.
  • Diana Headman
    10 years ago
    Clutter