Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaelter

Is the ship lap on the wall 6"" or 8" width?? Thank You!! :-)

beaelter
10 years ago
Harbor Cottage, Maine · More Info

Comments (11)

• kblindquist
    10 years ago
    I would like to know too -- what size is the shiplap?
  • motok1w
    9 years ago
    Have you found out how wide these planks are?
  • motok1w
    9 years ago
    Thank you! That looks awesome. Glad I asked! Can I ask where you sourced the wood and what type it is? Many thanks.
  • kblindquist
    9 years ago
    Looks good -- I went with the 8 and like it too - although I never did get a response.
  • motok1w
    9 years ago
    I would love to see a picture!
  • beaelter
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I actually used "center-match" which looks exactly like shiplap but is way cheaper in cost! I got the wood at our local lumber yard (Doug Ashy Lumber Co.)! All lumber yards handle this type of wood!! Good Luck with your project!!
  • motok1w
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much! Appreciate your responsiveness.
  • sharbaer
    9 years ago
    My best guess is that the lap used here is 8". 8" boards only cover 7.25" and if you look close around the outlet (msot likely just under 3") you can estimate about 7"
  • stacikmcg
    7 years ago

You can simply use underlayment a whopping $11.00 per sheet and have the lumber store cut it down between 4.5"-7.5" (depending on the look you are going for). It will be stained or painted anyway and the thin wood is easy to handle. Good luck!

• Chuck Dennison
    6 years ago

Yes I know this is a dead thread. Or you can draw horizontal lines on your wall with a thick sharpie and if you don't like it paint over it. You don't even need to tape. Just hold a long level tightly and run the pen down the level.