Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatcatz

Steel vs Fiberglass for front entry door

fatcatz
10 years ago
I have a Cape Cod home in an average middle class neighborhood in Westchester County NY (about 30 miles north of Manhattan). I'm deciding between 2 Pro Via brand front doors: a smooth painted steel or a mahogany textured & stained fiberglass. The fiberglass is a thousand dollars more. We have just a single door, no sidelights or transoms. What are your thoughts on steel for residential front doors as far as aesthetics, curb appeal and perceived value? I don't want to do something cheesy but also don't want to throw away $! Thank you for your advice!

Comments (8)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    For front entry doors i like wood, whether it's stained or painted. Wood, like fiberglass is a bad conductor of heat. I would go with the fiberglass one.
    fatcatz thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • jnorton18
    10 years ago
    Our builders preferred steel over fiberglass. I'm sorry I don't remember the details of why. The fiberglass has a slightly better U factor but not enough to have us switch. The fiberglass is supposed to be a bit stronger-doesn't dent like a steel might in high use area. We chose the steel and have been happy with them. The fiberglass was only slightly higher than steel for us though. I'd take that $ and use it somewhere else!
    fatcatz thanked jnorton18
  • fatcatz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your comments! I have a great installer. I'm torn between Provia Legacy Smooth Steel (20 gauge), which would be blue on the outside (both door and frame) and white on the inside, with a blue storm door, brushed nickel hardware.

Or Provia Signet Fiberglass, either Cherry or Mahogany series, probably in American Cherry door and frame (same inside and out). Probably black hardware. I don't like the way the storm door looks over the Fiberglass door, so would not do one.

Either way, it the door style will be the same - just a small window at the top of the door. Cost is the same for steel + storm vs fiberglass. Just not sure which I like better and didn't know if there is a general consensus on "the best" material for front door. Does need to be durable as it will get a lot of use. thank you again for your thoughts!
  • PRO
    M. R. Architect
    10 years ago
    you are very welcome. there is no" the best". both steel and fiberglass are good. steel is a better choice for modern contemporary houses. fiberglass allows texture and is more appropriate for cap and other classical style houses. if you are not planning to change your house style, then, i say go with fiberglass.
    as with everything else, you get what you pay for. good hardware (hinges and locks), manufacturing and insulation cost more. anything cheap has a shorter life span.
    best,
    mondana
    fatcatz thanked M. R. Architect
  • PRO
    collab O
    9 years ago
    i like fiberglass.. it stays true, is easier to maintain in cold climates...
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago

@Mondana Rezania Architect-FYI, it's Provia.....they ARE the heavier steel door company. That's one of their selling points.

My FIL/BIL own a window, door and garage door business and they sell Provia. We have Provia steel back and side doors and a fiberglass front door. We choose the fiberglass for the wood look. The outside of our back and side doors are painted and the insides are stained. The fiberglass do look very nice and a lot of people might not be able to tell if they are wood. Just as an aside; we have an adjoining summer house next to our house and during renovation, I did dent that door(it's Provia steel).

• fatcatz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your comments, it is very helpful. We postponed this project to 2015 ( which I can't believe is already here!). So I need to make. Decision one of these days...