Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karabas_barabas

Coffee table/ottoman & accent chair

karabas_barabas
10 years ago
I recently moved into my first condo and this is what I have so far. To the left of the sofa, I will build a gas pipe/wood shelf (black pipes with reclaimed wood for the shelves).

I am in need of a coffee table that would either a) double as storage or b) double as additional seating, like ottomans. Bonus points if C is possible (seating, storage, coffee table in one). So perhaps something like a trunk with a removable cushion? Also, an accent chair. The main colors are green and grey and the opposite wall is orange. The chair would preferably be patterned fabric. I don't mind mixing up styles as long as it looks good overall. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It would also help if the item didn't cost a firstborn. I don't shy away from non-designer items.

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
    10 years ago
    Firstly, I love your post writing style and your ideas. It may be difficult to envision without shelves in place, but if there are some circular elements (like ends to the bar posts supporting the shelves, for example, or perhaps even decor on the shelf) an upside down half wine barrel or two may provide great coffee table(s) potentially with storage underneath. Can be used as ottomans if you add a cushion on top. Otherwise, I do like the trunk idea. Maybe dark woven basket style (great for holding warm, cozy blankets to offset the chilly but attractive leather sofa) or just wood that compliments the shelving you select. Exciting!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    can you work in some fabric, either for an ottoman or window treatments to make it less stark as you go? I love what you have so far- nice couch.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Perhaps it would be worth showing the other half of the room - the dining room, for y'all to get a better idea of what kind of materials I have in there so far.

I like the half barrel idea, that'd actually be a nice touch, methinks. Also, the sectional is going to get some accent pillows in the near future. I've recently discovered that finding just the right pillow is about as difficult as it is for a Stormtrooper to hit his target. I shall persist, however.

As for the window treatments, white curtains with an orange pattern are going up that wall. Floor to ceiling.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Tulip Chair, Ikat Feather Gray/Flax · More Info
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    groveraxle, that is one sexy piece of orange furniture.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a fabric window treatment. Especially with just a tad bit of color and a unique/eye catching design.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The window wall will sport something along these lines. I haven't fully decided on a pattern yet, though.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Sandy, I already have a couple of pieces of artwork on the walls - take a look. While I am not opposed to an area rug per se, I am not 100% set on the idea yet. However, out of the four that you've listed, I like one with the horizontal lines the most.

As for the chairs you've posted, none of those tickle me in any way. The Acapulco Chair posted above is more up my alley. I am also a fan of low mid-century modern chairs with wooden legs/arm rests and upholstery.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My only concern is that I am somewhat suspicious about buying any kind of seating surface I personally haven't planted myself into beforehand. However, all the feedback about these chairs so far say they are very comfortable. So it's definitely on the list, I am still open to more suggestions though.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ok, now I see the desire for orange tie-ins. Great art pieces for this space. I actually like the curtains you posted. I can see this. Not sure if you really need another chair, but if you do then I'd do a more sedate looking chair like groveraxle's first (gray pattern) chair vs. the orange chair, as it could be overkill and take the eye away from the art. I like the idea on which rug, but the idea preceded the art shots, so, if a rug is used, I'd keep it more sedate, as well. I like the cool, colorful curtains to compliment the art on the other wall of the room. If you're dying to use more color throw in a greenish or grayish tone rug and some orangish pillows or vice versa, but probably not necessary once you get a table, the curtains and shelves in.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My desire for additional seating is out of necessity rather than the need to clutter the room. I like to have people over, and regularly have 10-15 people occupying the same space. While it is fine if the people are fairly spread out around the rooms and the kitchen, something like a movie night requires grouped seating. My sectional can fit 6-7 adults comfortably, plus I got my 4 dining chairs. I need seating for about four more people. Seating that would integrate with the rest of the room enough to not be perceived as an afterthought.

While I do have fairly colorful walls already, a lot of the color will come from additional artwork that will be going up in the near future, as well as accents such as the pillows. The colors I'll be focusing on are all pulled from the artwork: greys, oranges, blues, whites, and yellows. And yes. I just used an Oxford comma. Oxford commas are the best.
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Hi, I think an ottoman / coffee table idea is a great approach because it gives you a lot control and flexibility and as you mentioned provides additional seating. Here are a few ottoman options from Bryght that I think would work really well with your couch. From top to bottom, left to right.

1. Acura ottoman
    2. Ceni ottoman in coral
    3. Strip ottoman in liquorice
    4. Italy ottoman

For more style options and information www.bryght.com

Good luck and happy decorating!
  • PRO
    Liquor Shelves by Armana Productions
    10 years ago
    Great Conversion! Might be helpful for Buyers. My one of friend has pay for Melrose Accent Chair. I love this chair. Lighten up similar to kicking up your feet on a leather ottoman or coffee table. I would love to go for Comfortable & Unique Chairs
    and Ottomans.
  • PRO
    Old New House
    10 years ago
    You're already there. Maybe a small piece of wall art here or there. A nice area rug would be sweet. I don't know what you would consider an arm and a leg, but a handmade rug will add a fantastic dimension to the room. Maybe something geometric like this: http://oldnewhouse.com/collections/rugs/products/vintage-oushak-rug-lr002568c If you go with a rectilinear motif, you'll find that it will integrate well with the modern,
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Wow, a design maven and literate, too. I'm impressed. Just took a peek at your Homework ideabook to see where you're headed. In the photos you've posted, your gray has a serious purple undertone. Is this the case in reality or a function of my monitor?

Also, are the orange curtains going on the window in the living area (since those are the only windows I see)?

Do you already have the rest of your artwork, or are you waiting till you get the room furnished? (BTW, the tiger is hung too high, but you knew that, right?)
  • PRO
    CHRISICOS INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    Hello, stay true to the sleek and contemporary style that you started with. That means a sleek low ottoman that doubles as a cocktail table, foot rest and seating. This style most likely will not have adequate depth for additional storage.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    groveraxle,

The purple tint of the gray is a combination of my phone's camera, cool-tint LED lighting, and your monitor's setting.

The main gray color on the walls is this one: http://goo.gl/E0PSeG
    The accent gray for the vertical artwork is this one: http://goo.gl/oNQSJt

The orange curtains will be in the living area, yes. My bedroom has a completely different feel to it, so that will be getting dark charcoal grey ones. I have a couple of pieces in mind for future purchases, but I would rather wait until I have the shelf up to see if it's going to be overkill. I'll also be adding a couple of storage pieces to the dining area.

As for the tiger, the 57" on the center was too low for me. I adjusted it to my eye level. Same with the vertical print.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I quite like the ottomans from Bryght. Here is one I found along with your orange drapes and the Acapulco chair:
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Of course, the best ottoman ever is the Noguchi freeform, but it will cost you your first AND second born, and it teaches us you'll have to be careful with your shades of green.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I like this one, but I don't think it comes in other shades than brown. Just add a tray and it becomes a coffee table.
    Alpine Leather Storage Ottoman Coffee Table · More Info
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like the Bryght ottomans as well, but haven't had the chance to browse the site yet. As a graphic designer, I can appreciate your mock-ups. I like the chair, I like the curtains, I don't like the oval rounded corner ottoman. While it is probably something my room could use, I'm currently in the "right angle" state of mind. I may or may not get over that once I look at more items and continue to furnish the space.

Also, I do not want a leather ottoman. That would make for a leather couch, leather dining room chairs, AND a leather ottoman. While I do like the material quite a bit, it's a bit much formerly living skin for my tastes.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    If you're a graphic designer, you can do your own mock ups. Day-um. Spoil all my fun. ;-)

I can appreciate your right angle state of mind, and I think a square or rectangular ottoman actually would look better in that space. But I also think you could use something like the Acapulco chair to break the rectilinearity.
  • karabas_barabas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, sure, I COULD do my own mock-ups, but you're doing a pretty good job at it, and I wouldn't dare spoil your fun. I have a few mock-ups, but I don't post those. My brain processes visual ideas better than written ones, so they are for my brain only.

Yeah, the Acapulco chair is bitchin'. I rather love it. And that ottoman is a lot better than the rounded one. Plus the whole raised aspect of it on flat, chrome legs, matches the other furniture in the living room.