Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_pepple

Allison Pepple
12 years ago
I'm trying to make my own room divider. I think I have a good design, all except I'm not sure what hinges to use. What would you recommend? An "H" hinge? A piano hinge seems excessive. Thanks for all of your help!
South Boston Living Room · More Info

Comments (3)

• Emily H
    12 years ago
    I bet a lot depends on the materials you will be using. The more heavy weight the individual panels are, the more substantial the hinges will need to be. What are your panels to be made of? How heavy will they be?

Also, I bet if you use more hinges per panel, you can get away with something lighter weight.
  • Allison Pepple
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I'm planning on using either MDF or poplar, both 1" thick. The panels will be 1"x12"x72", and there will be four (three joints total). Thanks so much for your help! :)
  • PRO
    Spaceform Design Build Interiors
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Don't know whether the design will be similar to the one pictured but on general terms, those are two very different materials. 1st, 1" mdf is very heavy (even light weight mdf, which they make) vs poplar is solid wood, light weight but will want to move more than mdf which is very stable. I think your design may dictate the best material for the job.