Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooserings

Need help with furniture placement/design of living room and nook!

CooperAnn
10 years ago
I need help with furniture placement and design for this long narrow room. It's 13' wide and stretches into the open kitchen. I'm also having issues with what to put in the nook area (furniture/curtains). I emptied the room so our furniture didn't impede your ideas! Our house has rustic decor. PLEASE HELP!

Comments (63)

• Rina
    10 years ago
    Strange things a-happening. Gremlins are abroad, and it's not even Hallowe'en.

Have you picked up any concepts you fancy from the posts so far?
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you need any kind of dining space here apart from the kitchen bench?
    How about a combination of a window seat built around the bay window with a table perhaps oval shaped. and 1-2 chairs if there is room.
    If this isn't needed then a chaise or chair and ottoman to provide a reading nook. Curtains unless very light are going to be bulky here and take up most of the space.
    The sectional suggestions seem great.
    Would love to see some some substantial floating shelves or cabinetry in the nooks either side of the fireplace.
    Left field option - add some doors instead of your bay window to give another access point outside and this will free up your living room space to arrange the furniture as you need. Would need the vents adjusting though.
    CooperAnn thanked anniau
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    Re the floor vents - I meant to add, the window seat could be an integrated bench , open below for airflow
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    anniau - Adding/Moving doors is not an option at this point. The house was just completed in July and we aren't about to start ripping things apart just yet. ;) I do wish the door was in the first panel instead of the middle of that big window area, but it's not. :( I am not really a fan of the shelves they put in on the side of the fireplace. They look a little cheesy to me, but I'm not sure how to fix without ripping it all out and creating a big mess to fix. I wish there was a way to make these ones look better... and to also hide the electronic crap! Any ideas there, please let me know! As for the nook, I don't really need more dining seating unless we are entertaining. We have a full dining room as well as the kitchen counter. We had thought about a table with a couple of chairs in there because it's a nice place to sit and perhaps have a cup of coffee and enjoy the view out of the back. You don't think the nook windows look too big/plain without anything on the windows? I definitely don't want bulk.
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rina... I just got an email and your "missing" post from the other day just appeared in my thread in the spot it was suppose to be. So weird!
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    The coffee / reading nook sounds very inviting.
    I would be inclined to match the window coverings to the existing ones. I think it will look less hard once your comfortable 'coffee' chairs and table are in place. You could add a plant to soften it if needed
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Oh, the e-beasties are busy ....

Your shelving: as below, remove the shelf I've arrowed (and removed), thicken the appearance of the others with some such glued bit as my drawing suggests or something more sensible than that. They look tacky because they're too thin. And while you do that, think about a thicker mantle, too. That shouldn't be a major thing to make happen. The carpenter seems to have been over-economical.

If I were you I'd be looking for a matched pair of spectacular large vases or decorative bowls to put on the top shelves on each side ... not cheap, I know, but yummy.

Covering the electronic gumph -- perhaps a lift-up or drop-down (more practical, I think) door over those two shelves?

The window in the nook -- blinds, surely, if you think drapes would be too bulky? You could keep them a quarter of the way down to enjoy the fabric.
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rina... Here we go again, I don't see your drawings. But my thoughts exactly, shelves are too thin. I just told my husband that the other day! He also suggested making some false fronts for on them. The mantel is actually a piece out of a historical building... it's over 100 years old. It is on the thin side, but I don't think my husband will be on board to replace the history of it. He also doesn't think the electronic crap looks bad.... but I hate it. I know it has to go somewhere, but it's just an eye sore.... he doesn't think so. Men. ;) I like your idea for the bowls/vases on the top shelves. I've been on the hunt for the perfect thing. I'm struggling with what to put on the mantel too. I don't know that it's the right spot for the pictures of my kids. haha
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    We are the Romeo and Juliet of Houzz. I'll try posting again. Okay, yes, I get it with the mantle out of the historic building. However, electronic crap always looks bad, unless it's designed by B&O, and even then it has to fit into the room it's placed in. In fact, TVs look bad, unless we can do fancy cabinets that enclose them or those "cover it with art" things -- and I'm not too sure about those. But we're stuck with decorating around the things.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    The arrow is barely visible, but it's posted on my screen. Cross fingers for yours.
  • PRO
    Ashley Malowaniuk
    10 years ago
    You will really need to be careful with sizes, but I would suggest either a love seat and a thin chair, or a very small sectional.
    Make sure all the furniture is streamlined and not bulky.
    You are unfortunately, very limited.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Good morning from here. I didn't mention it above, but those two little boxes are to suggest that you could ground the shelves by putting a pair of decorative chests there. If you have carpentry budget, of course, you could close those areas in.
  • thiskidd
    10 years ago
    Hi CooperAnn,

I like Rina's #5, I'd place a narrow table behind the couch with its back to the dinning area, and maybe only use one chair (swivel chair would be nice) facing the window. If you need more seating you could use an "L" shaped sectional (not too big/bulky style) so one side faces the fireplace and one faces the windows. Depending on the sectional, but if it has an armless corner to it, you could use the two couch halves in the "L" layout not touching so they look like two couches, and put the corner section as a stand-a-lone armless chair on the opposite corner near the windows.

Would remove all the shelving around the fireplace and get two art pieces or sculptures placing one in each side on a single wall mounted shelf with special ceiling lights in the alcoves to light the art...above all else I'd keep it simple with as much open area around the fireplace as possible. If you have a green thumb you could use cool plants or trees instead of art pieces. You have an awesome fireplace...it's a work of art on its own. Keeping it the focus increases the size of the room everything else reduces the size of the room, if you follow my meaning.

I'd place a small elegant desk or game table & 2 chairs with chess/checker board in the 3 window nook. Lastly, I'd cluster family photos and mount together on a rustic board or hang together on the long wall opposite the windows or near the dinning table if wall space is available there.

Hope this helps, best of luck in your design adventure.
    CooperAnn thanked thiskidd
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    10 years ago
    Wow Rina your advice is wonderful! I'm going to make sure to get your help on my own family room project !! I'm right at the source for custom sofas, chairs etc., so it will be easy to follow your furniture placement suggestions :) I love creating the furniture, but I have to admit, the placement is always a challenge for me ;) CooperAnn I LOVE THIS ROOM ! I'm quite jealous of the wood floors and impeccable lighting. Let me know if you need help finding the right sofa and chairs, or browse our profile for ideas ! xo Eva @ thesofaworks.com
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    That's so sweet, SofaWorks. Thanks. I think this is a gorgeous room too.
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    Here is mine idea
  • barbarabroerman
    10 years ago
    love the idea of a games table and chairs in the bay.
  • J. K. Wiskamp
    10 years ago
    L-shaped sofa opposite windows, rustic circular coffee table, swivel chair left of fireplace, ficus tree to the right, wireless electronics, bistro table in nook if needed - window seat if not. I would remove the shelving if not needed. If you do have lots of books, remember to leave some blank space for art.
    CooperAnn thanked J. K. Wiskamp
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    Here is the second idea
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    Here are visual ideas :)
    CooperAnn thanked Ol'ga K'osareva
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    CooperAnn thanked Ol'ga K'osareva
  • sgoldcamp
    10 years ago
    I have a long family room attached to the kitchen like your picture. In the family room I have sofa along the long wall, a loveseat across the room, and a square table in between - to kind of make a sectional sofa look. A sectional would work, but this is what I had. Then I have a large coffee table.
    CooperAnn thanked sgoldcamp
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rina... Did you include a second set of pictures that includes this arrow? If so, those have not been included for me to see yet. Remember how long those first pics took? So weird. You have been so helpful!
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ol'ga K... THANKS for all of your visuals! The layouts may not work that you suggested because as I stated on the layout I posted, our door is actually the middle "window" panel and not on the end. (I know, BUMMER!) So we have to be able to get to the door without it being blocked. I also can't have an enclosed window seat in the nook due to the vents being there. Thanks for your ideas!
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thiskidd... If we removed the shelving, where would we put the electronic crap? All of the plugs are located behind these shelves. They have to stay, I just need to make them look better somehow! :) Thanks for your suggestions!
  • juliesha2
    10 years ago
    First, shop apartment-sized furniture and think multi-purpose. I would suggest an L-shaped sectional w/chaise that lifts open for added storage. Place this against the wall. Enjoy the view out those beautiful windows. The chaise will not block the view or the fireplace. In the center of the room, place two small storage cubes that can be used for ottomans &/or coffee tables. You could place some decorative trays on them. Then purchase 4 matching or coordinating swivel chairs. Think comfort & keep it small. Place one on either each side of the window or each side of the fireplace. The other two, place with a nice-sized cafe table or a small drop-leaf table in the nook area. This way, your four chairs can either be used in the nook or the LR when additional seating is need in either of those spaces. If you are keeping the TV in the room you might want to consider a wall mount that allows you to pull the tv out and swivel. We got ours at SAMS Club. Happy shopping! Oh, and don't rush it.
  • John Lilja
    10 years ago
    CooperAnn, as someone who is more of a carpenter than a decorator, I would recommend a rethinking of the space. Consider Olga's idea of door reconfiguration. My recommendation would be to move your traffic line from "hallway to door VIA great room" to "hallway to door bypassing great room", by switching the middle window in your bumpout with the door (single or double but not triple). There shouldn't be any structural issues if you don't change the structure around the window. The only other issue is the vent ducts under the window and perhaps some exterior siding repairs, but a minor reconfiguration of them could be done at the same time. Moving that traffic line out of the great room gives you MANY more options for the great room. Hope that helps.
    CooperAnn thanked John Lilja
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    John... Yeah, I'm not excited where the door is, but our house was JUST COMPLETED in July. I'm not sure we are ready to call someone back and have things restructured just yet. I wish I could just move the door, but it seems that is one big piece... 2 windows with a door in the middle. I believe that is how it was delivered when they put it in. I don't recall being asked where we wanted the door. I'm not sure what that would take. I'm looking for quicker and easier ideas.
  • John Lilja
    10 years ago
    In that case, I would lean toward Olga's first idea, without the door modification. The fireplace may be centered on the wall, but the door's placement negates symmetry. Stack the hard wall with semi-permanent furniture, and use more open, mobile furniture by the door. That said, if you prefer a "table and chair" setup rather than perimeter pieces, you could do some nice decorative wall storage opposite the door and windows. Would your husband like a nice poker table to go with that TV?
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Wherefore art thou CooperAnn? Because obviously CooperAnn and I have communication problems. I attached one pic to the "Romeo and Juliet" comment, with an arrow to where I thought you could remove just one shelf with good effect. (I love minimum effort, though I also love messing with pictures of other peoples' rooms.) But I did it in dark red instead of bright red -- you'd think a girl would know better. So maybe you got the pic and didn't see the arrow? It was just to replace two shallow shelves with one deeper one. Love your room, I'd love to knock on the door and come in and mess with furniture ... however, CooperAnn, forget Italian family problems, an entire ocean separates us. C'est la vie.

Clearly, the main problem is to decide: sofa and two chairs? sectional? sectional and a chair or four? A three-seater sofa and a love seat (such a sweet expression)? Think of how you would like to spend your time in this room with your family, how in an ideal world you would like to gather, and that should help you decide what you want. Then we see if we can make it work, and with so many people interested, I'm sure we can.
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    Dear Ann, these armchairs at the side of the veranda doors are not necessary element. Only one at the corner can stay (if needed for guests). Generally i like the idea of the open/not blocked view from windows. The nook area can be used for the winter garden or for these exact armchairs
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
  • Ol'ga K'osareva
    10 years ago
    As to door modification... If you like Mediterranean style then make 3 doors so to be able to open whole wall to the garden in the summer. But of cause it is for you to decide. Temperatures during the winter, costs and security points are important.
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rina... Romeo and Juliet comment? I am definitely missing a post somewhere!
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    HAHAHA... the comment JUST came to my email and into this thread... magic!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    What can I say? Somebody up there hates us, CooperAnn.
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    10 years ago
    send us your dimensions, the fabric you would like and we'll send a quote :) xoxo eva @ thesofaworks.com
  • thiskidd
    10 years ago
    Hi CooperAnn.
    I didn't realize that the plugs were all on those walls...still can't tell from the Pic how high or low on the wall the plugs are, but maybe a pair of low matching cabinets that fit snugly into the space could hold the electronics, then be used as a stand for sculpture or accent piece.

Or maybe its time for wireless electronics, then they could be housed in a cabinet anywhere in the room. Maybe daddy-O is due for an upgrade?! There maybe a wireless solution that could act as a hub that you plug the current electronics into but can communicate with the TV wireless...just some ideas to consider.
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    SofaWorks... How do people who aren't extremely tall sit in sofa's like the one you posted? I think it looks awesome, but I can tell that the seat part is long. This is a problem I see with a ton of sofas. We sit on that and our feet are up in the air like we are 2 years old again, or we are leaning way back because the seat is so long. One of my biggest pet peeves of sofa shopping. Is it just us that long seats bother?
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thiskidd... The plugs are 1/2 way up the wall... pretty much right behind the equipment in the picture. No upgrades yet.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Maybe those very deep sofas are designed to cater for the fashion for many throw pillows? On shallow seats they don't leave you with anywhere to sit.
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    10 years ago
    hi CooperAnn. we custom make EVERYTHING from scratch to your specifications. we build the frames in the US and if you tell us the seat depth you would like, we make it ;) no pet peeves with us ;) check out our profile. xoxo eva
  • happyleg
    10 years ago
    Here at my place I do decorate inside & hubby has outside. That is never a problem.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10 years ago
    I suggest placing the sofa against the wall, two arm chairs on the window side with a small table between the chairs, and a coffee table. The sofa can have a chaise at the end as long as it's not too long.
    If you aren't completely attached to the stools, make the nook a charming dining area. Build a window seat under the windows, add an oval dining table and a couple of chairs.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Robin, trouble is, we've found out that the central "window" is a door. So you can't have a small table between the chairs. I wanted one, too. You could push the chairs to each side of the door and then angle them in towards the coffee table. Maybe two really small tables, on the outside of each chair?
  • ngocdung lê thi
    10 years ago
    Hi
    Style of a house depends on the habits of yourself and your body .
    How do you like to sit comfortably after a day of hard work , you prefer a quiet corner sofa to fit just sitting around ? Or a swinging seat ? you can watch TV or look at the romantic garden , sip wine , choose a corner sofa , soft .
    Please choose a little color to bright white room classic car , if you are into funky replace carpet with more striking colors , a little blue or teal colored moss for bright rooms and trendy furniture okay .
    The color depends on the space light . You can open all the light , but you can also open a picture or a hanging lamp decorative lamp in the corner with sofas . private reading .
    CooperAnn thanked ngocdung lê thi
  • ngocdung lê thi
    10 years ago
    Hi
    You have a great corner too. It is the ideal place to relax, can enjoy the garden through the window. Reading, thinking ... Or a nice decorative corners, you people would have walked home very excited about the casts light from the doorway, through the glass of the décor.
    CooperAnn thanked ngocdung lê thi
  • CooperAnn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, ngocdung! You rock with the visuals!!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Hi CooperAnn -- nice to see the thread come alive again after a short break. Have you made any decisions?