Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awarecare

The crown and top of this bookcase seem "off"

Carey Charyk
10 years ago
The crown will be painted the ceiling color. what would you do with this?

Comments (17)

• Carey Charyk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I have 4 of these towers in my small office, seems I should get some crown stained the same as bookcase? or can't they notch out the crown so it looks like crown came first then the book case? or should I just put crown around top of bookcase and lose the top trim of the book case? The stained bookcase goes to the ceiling beneath the top trim piece.
  • R M
    10 years ago
    I didn't realize it wasn't crown molding. If you really hate it, I would start by taking it off and seeing how it looks without it. If you still hate it, then I would add crown to it to match what's in the room, but matching the stain might be difficult.
    Carey Charyk thanked R M
  • K
    10 years ago
    We have always used the same crown as the room, doing so now in a new house in the kitchen where the cabinets go to the ceiling- had the crown painted to match the cabinets and it is a seamless transition.
    Carey Charyk thanked K
  • Katie Gooding
    10 years ago
    I'd put the same crown on it as the rest of the room, as in the same profile and paint color.
    Carey Charyk thanked Katie Gooding
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    When you say the crown will be painted ceiling color, may I ask why? Ceiling is ceiling, painted in a flat finish. Molding is woodwork and painted in a semi-gloss finish.

You have not mentioned paint colors. I will suggest BM white dove: for the ceiling in flat and in semi-gloss for the woodwork, including the crown on the piece.
    Living room / Library · More Info
    Carey Charyk thanked JudyG Designs
  • K
    10 years ago
    A coupe of photos attached to see what we have done, it looks better to us than using the much smaller cabinet company crown.
    Carey Charyk thanked K
  • Carey Charyk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok, thanks so much for your help. seems like consensus is to take off cap on book case and finish bookcase with same crown as the rest of the room. any other ideas? desk under the sheet is also the dark stain.
  • PRO
    Gravitas
    10 years ago
    Yeah, one is concave and one is convex it looks like. I think matching and tying it around the corner would to wonders.
    Carey Charyk thanked Gravitas
  • Carey Charyk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gravitas-Matching the painted crown and taking down the bookcase trim?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I would paint the crown molding to match the book cases and the rest of the trims in this room as well to unify them all.
    Annapolis Plan at Victoria | Phoenix, AZ · More Info
    Carey Charyk thanked Geneviève
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    The bookcase crown should:

* be the same color as the bookcase
    * have the same profile as the ceiling crown

That's the only solution that makes sense.
    Carey Charyk thanked qam999
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Someone put the crown in upside down for one! The crown on the case should match the case.
    Carey Charyk thanked New England Kitchens
  • Carey Charyk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    really New England Kitchens? the crown on the ceiling is upside down?
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Yes, the bookcase crown is upside down. It's completely bizarre and unheard of to have crown that slopes IN as you travel upwards.
    Carey Charyk thanked qam999
  • PRO
    New England Kitchens
    10 years ago
    No, the crown on the top of the book case is upside down.
    Carey Charyk thanked New England Kitchens
  • Carey Charyk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Right, they used baseboard that was to go on kitchen island! before I arrived, that's why I know there is a better solution! The 2 inch square cap that matches seemed too small though so I just let them go ahead....ugh