Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_jordan

Incorrect Shower Drain Install

Lindsey Jordan
10 years ago
My contractor installed this shower drain. I didn't like the looks of it when I saw it, but I figured it would come out ok. Well it is raised about the shower floor a little bit, but this leaves a pool of water around the drain that can't go down because it is sitting above the tile. Should I just live with this or should I get him to fix it. Seems like standing water in my shower isn't a good idea. Any ideas? Should I say anything to my contractor?

Comments (32)

• hatetoshop
    10 years ago
    Absolutely call him and tell him to fix it.
  • Lindsey Jordan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What are some problems that could arise with this type of install besides standing water? I want to give him some concrete reasons to fix it.
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Agree, it's installed wrong.....
  • Nancy
    10 years ago
    Hi Lindsey - I don't think you need any more problems than the water failing to drain away - that's pretty major all by itself.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Lindsey, you already have a concrete reason its improperly installed... not to mention there is no proper shower drain installed. All they did is mount that dome on top of the tile, and it will start to leaking after short period of time the minute the seal between that and the tile fail.
    I would hire a professional plumber and have him install the right drain suited for tiled floor and redo the whole floor tile, because frankly speaking, I don't think there is a rubber membrane installed under the tile.
    Good luck
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    I hope its not the same people who installed this shower floor... we just had to rip the whole floor out, and this is not even 2 month old bathroom and it started to leak downstairs.
    They used contractor bags instead of rubber membrane and red brick for the shower curb...
    You don't want to end up in the same situation down the road. Here is a few pictures of what hacks do.
  • Lindsey Jordan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, they tiled over the original floor. The house is built on a concrete foundation here in Florida, and the old floor had no problems, just didn't like the pink tile. Where would a leak occur? My dad (doesn't live here) but asked why the drain wasn't flush to the floor, and I said because he just attached it on top on the tile. So can the tile guys just cut a circle out of the tile and insert the drain lower? Or maybe it's more complicated than that? I don't
  • Lindsey Jordan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just don't like that all the water isn't draining because the drain is sitting above the tile. Thanks !!
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    It will leak under the slab, eventually it will start to smell because between the strainer they installed on top and plumbing drain pipe is old floor, concrete and earth and all water and everything else will start soaking in because that is porous material there and it will turn to mold at one point or another.
    You need a shower floor drain to be installed, sealed and done right... right now all you did is put a band-aid which is not gonna last to long.
    Good luck
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    10 years ago
    @ Lindsey Jordan This product is to be utilized as an aftermarket upgrade, whereas you would remove existing drain cover and replace with this to allow easy removal and cleaning of the "hair trap". Looking at your picture, you seem to not have a required drain which will need to be installed to proper drain lines or you will most definitely have problems. If there wasn't a proper drain to begin with, the contractor should never have gone ahead with tiling until this issue was resolved. Also for proper installation, the original tile should have been removed and proper water-proofing of the shower pan area with code approved draining should have been done, then tile installed. I believe you are going to have to start over and have it installed properly or you will have nothing but problems down the road. Not to mention if you ever want to sell, it will have to be addressed before a sale anyways. I don't know your contractors skill and knowledge level, but if he can't rectify this properly, I suggest you find a qualified professional to remedy this dilemma.

@GN Builders, that shower floor that you encountered should be placed in the remodelers "Hall of Shame". I can't believe some of the things I encounter during remodels, but this is near the top of the worse I've seen. Thanks for the pictures and post, this should serve as a cautionary tale for checking references and making sure permits, codes, and inspections are followed and documented throughout a remodel.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    I didn't know they had a section here called "Hall of Shame" I definitely have some material to be contributed to that section.
    Thanks!
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Oh no, Lindsey!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I don't know if there is a section, I was just commenting that it was really terrible. But now that you mention it, a "Hall of Shame" may be a good idea! Might have to start a discussion thread now.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Twisted Minds has a good idea! There ought to be a section for Hall of Shame. But having a discussion thread is the next best thing.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    Yes.... you should say something to your contractor and I would strongly suggest you say "good bye". About the only thing he did correctly was lay the tile with the finished side up and get the grout in. The question isn't "if" this fails....it's "when" it fails.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    GN/Twisted............There are additional, earlier photos of this install on her older thread. Helpful input would, I'm sure, be very much appreciated!!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here is the link to the "Hall of Shame" thread I just started, this should get interesting.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/home-improvements-hall-of-shame-dsvw-vd~881749
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    I agree and that is a good idea TM to start something like this. Homeowners need to be aware of things that going out there and not allow " low price" overtake theirs common sense.
    I have seen some bad careless work, I have seen people lose lots of money, and I know it happens from time to time, and lately it has been more and more and an old saying goes "live and learn", and I'm sure money eventually be replaced, bad jobs will get repaired, etc

I know many legitimate contractors who walk away from jobs where Homeowners don't want pull permits, or we lose jobs because our prices being compared to someone who is working out trunk of theirs car, with no insurance, to people who hire help in the street and bring them to people homes, etc I could never understood that part, are people that naive that they will take a chance like this to save a few hundred or a few thousand dollars... that is pretty sad if this is the case.
    The scary part is,that people see red flags and yet the low price overtakes theirs judgment and as a result I have seen many botched up and not code compliant jobs or work doesn't meet industry standard practices, which put people and theirs families at risk and have someone get seriously hurt if things are not caught in time and when someone gets hurt because of it, and that that cannot be replaced and at times it cannot get repaired.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    So true GN Builders, well said. Then they call a Realtor like me to sell the house and I have to explain why the house doesn't have the value it ought to have because there are no permits for any of the new work! This creates huge issues when it comes time to sell - in addition to the issues created by the subpar work done by an unlicensed handyman. So the homeowner actually gets bitten not once - but twice. And many won't realize it until years after the work is done.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    My wife is a Realtor also and I see all this all the time and I also do lots of code violation repairs so we run into things which people try to hide it will make your skin crawl.

Now many towns around here have to do inspection and issue Certificate of Occupancy when you sell your home.
    Inspectors go out and inspect homes, if there is a basement, or a deck, etc and there is no record of it, they make HO apply for the permit and bring structure to code.
    Some towns stricter then others, they will make you take the fan down if there is no fan box, get a permit if you want to keep it, if not hang a regular fixture... and I agree with them for doing so.
    Some ceiling are two stories high and have fans mounted up there and if improperly installed fan gets lose from the vibration and come down, it could become a disaster for the new HO who purchased a home and expect everything to be safe and in good condition.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    GN....what is sad to me, is when an OP like lindsey post dilemmas and all sorts of homeowners and designers provide many, many, many opinions...but none of them give educated, sound, accurate responses. Denita and I see this over and over!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Where I am not only do they make you get a permit retroactively, you get fined from code enforcement $1000/day after 30 days. You do have a choice to remove the structure. Here code enforcement rides around daily to see jobs in progress without benefit of permit or to catch jobs that have been done overnight or over the weekend. The fines can become huge, because some HO ignore the letter from code enforcement. And, like the proverbial hot potato, it doesn't matter when the unpermitted work was installed, it only matters who owns it at the time of discovery. Of course, then the HO can go back after the seller for recourse, if they can find him. Very, very frustrating and sad all the way around. The thing is, the permit isn't expensive usually. That's the thing that doesn't make sense.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    Bubbasgma, I know I see this also, but this is all harmless and people try to help each other with theirs ideas, etc
    I don't find that being sad but on a more amusing level, when you see someone is asking what color should I paint my cabinets, and people post pictures of a million dollar kitchen, or someone is looking to expand 4x2' closet into make a 8x4' closet, the ideas and pictures start flying with 200-400SF furnished closet spaces where OP can put the whole house inside. What are they thinking about LOL
    But its all good and healthy
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    gn...No, not harmless but very sad in Lindsey's situation. If you look at her last dilemma, she never got good info on how to proceed and is still struggling with her situation.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    That yes, I was making an example of a few different scenarios.
    When it comes to give advise about more serious issues as it was in her case, people should keep theirs noses out if they don't know any better... and yes that is sad, because they actually think that this is OK to do.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    This is a hack job if ever we saw one. You cannot just tile over old tile and hope that the shower will drain properly. That picture says it all. No drain should look like that. This contractor should know all of this. You do not owe him any money for this...he owes you! I am afraid the only way to rectify this is to rip everything out and start over with a professional tile installer. They will know how to do it right even if he didn't. Can you take him to small claims court and get your money back?
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    See what I mean?

Suppose for a moment that OP doesn't have the option to slam on the brakes here? Doesn't have the funds to finance another demo and install? Or has been without a way to bath for 3 weeks now? Do we even know how much she has invested so far? What are the "limits" one can be reimbursed in small claims court?
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Each state has their own limits set by statute. I believe Fl is limited to $5k. For the OP's county here is the website: http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/clerkwebsite/BCCOC2/faqcountycivil.aspx
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    bubbasgma, I just checked and yes, this is the same shower where they did the terrible tile job on the walls. I would be doing everything possible to nail this guy and get more than my money back. We were without a bathroom in the past for over two weeks or so. It can be done.
  • Lindsey Jordan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, this bathroom has had many tile problems. MY neighbor is my contractor and he said he has done hundreds of bathrooms and I have seen his own, and they looked pretty nice. I figured he would do the job right, because he can't really run away if he doesn't. I don't think he thinks he has done anything wrong. It has been 7 weeks so far working nearly everyday except Sunday. It has tired me out. I want my space back. Fortunately we do have another bathroom, which is actually our main bathroom. This one is just the half bath.

I didn't think we were getting a budget deal. I have a real estate friend from Miami who thinks I overpaid at 7K. She said it should be like 3-4K for this bath (8x4.5 no bath, just shower). But I felt ok about the price, because at least I thought because I knew the person, they wouldn't rip me off.

Thank you again everyone for your advice and perspective. I probably won't go to court about this, but consider it a lesson learned and find someone else for my next renovation.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    Good luck!