Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amarempressofpellucidar

Advice Please Updating 10 yr old Solid Golden Oak Kitchen for Re-Sale

Mary Fabian
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We 'updated' our 50's kitchen, doubled the size of it 10 years ago, from 12x9, to 12x19. We have solid golden oak cabinetry with a simple arch on the uppers. We have white appliances and laminate countertops. Our lighting is custom ceiling hugger vintage stained glass in the center, with pot lights running down the sides, and matching stained glass pendants over the breakfast bar. I have expensive Covington Bosporus curtains for a sophisticated french country look. We are thinking of selling this year, have done major updates in other areas. We just finished the bathroom, and now are a little tight on funds. I had posted in another forum about updating for re-sale, and a designer suggested painting them a creamy white, but we DESPISE the thought of painting over beautiful solid oak cabinetry, plus the added cost. We have 8' walls, and there is a 12" space between the uppers to the ceiling. One consideration was to find 12" glass fronted uppers. Another (cheaper) consideration is to just leave it open on top, and replace the cheap captains rail that we currently have, with crown molding. Obviously, we will replace the handles, replace the laminate countertop with a solid surface, and either stain or just clean the existing cabinetry. So, please advise for re-sale, should we stain to a darker finish (how dark? remember white appliances), leave the lighter golden oak? Get the glass fronted uppers? Or leave open and just put a crown molding? I've attached a photo of the upper cabinet & window, because the kitchen is still a complete mess with the over-run from our bathroom remodel. Thank you :)

Comments (3)