Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkilgore75

Keeping your house clean

Lee Kilgore
10 years ago
Anyone else find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep your house clean like all of the photos show on here? 2 working parents and 3 kids, I always believe that is a magazine fantasy or TV magic land trick that it really doesn't exist. Other friends and people I know say the same thing that keeping house to be perfect is a 3rd full time job.

I can keep my house clean a total of 24 hours AS LONG AS, the kids are away and we don't "use" the house.

This is how I feel like the only way I can truly keep the house clean...empty it out.
Anyone else have cleaning tricks or ways to hypnotize kids to clean up after themselves?

Comments (10)

• viejopipe
    10 years ago
    This is true. The only advice I would give is to hire someone to come once a week and clean up for a couple of hours. Although it could be a strain on your budget, it will help out a lot more than you will imagine. Try it out a couple of weeks and maybe you'll see that it will be well worth it!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Much easier to clean when a house has no furniture and the owners have moved out.
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    This Ideabook has some good ideas:

http://houzz.com/ideabooks/23630633
  • PRO
    Mr Maid Residential And Commercial Cleaning
    7 years ago

I agree with Viejopipe about hiring a cleaning service. Of course, I'm biased toward a cleaning service since I'm part of one. But here are 3 helpful suggestions to get you on the path of cleaning more efficiently and with less time.

* You should wear a cleaning apron with pockets to hold cleaning tools and loops to hang spray bottles filled with cleaning chemicals. It's best to carry with you all items you need to clean with which is why the cleaning apron is so important.

* Always work from the top down to the floor and clean everything directly in front of where you're standing then move toward the right or left and start again from the top working down to the floor. You can usually complete and entire room only going around the room 1 time using this method except for vacuuming and mopping the floor which will be done later.

* You can use an extension cord on your vacuum cleaner to eliminate having to unplug it after each room. Clean all the rooms on one floor before starting to vacuum then vacuum the whole floor at one time. Then go back and mop all the rooms that need to be mopped.

Every time you stop vacuuming or mopping to clean another room you lose time and create more steps translating into more work. It's not about rushing to get done but following the system pacing yourself along the way.

A professional experienced cleaning person can usually clean a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom home in 3 to 4 hours assuming the floors are picked up.

I hope this helps in some way, Lkilgore75.

In case you're interested, here is a link to a whole host of articles from house cleaning tips, to spring cleaning, to cleaning products and tools, and to other articles related to home repairs. Just check out the various categories on the right side of the page for helpful ideas and tips to get more done but in less time.

Professional House Cleaning Articles

• rioaggie
    7 years ago

I also have 3 kids - all teenagers with one in college. Our house is never perfect, but it's a lot neater than it was when they were little. Don't drive yourself crazy - enjoy those kiddos (& their beloved messes) - they're going to be gone in a blink of an eye & (you won't believe this) you'll find yourself actually missing all their toys and stuff!

As for the pictures we see - I agree with Margo - most of them wouldn't look the same if people just snapped a spur-of-the-moment shot. The bathrooms would have toothbrushes laying around, the hand towel wadded up on the counter (or on the floor, in my house), and the toilet paper roll on the back of the toilet (because I guess no one knows how to take the old roll off and put the new one on - am I the only one whose kids do that? ;)

• PRO
    Mr Maid Residential And Commercial Cleaning
    7 years ago

Your right about the kids, rioaggie, growing up fast and I remember my daughter's room being a total disaster but it wasn't all that important at that time. We wanted to enjoy our children while we could.

• carol palmer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here are few interesting tips on how to inculcate the idea of tidying in kids. Label toys and storage boxes with pictures, thus the kid will soon learn whch toys goes in which box and will enjoy cleaning. Choose see-through toy boxes. Remind kids to put away toys each time they come across old toys. Teach them to give away toys which are old, Check this interesting articleon tips for organizing kids' playroom http://www.junk-works.ca/locations/blog/category/kids-playroom/

7 years ago
    Read the LIFE CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP. It will change your life!!!
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    7 years ago
    I downsized considerably (from 4000 sq ft to 1250 sq ft) and though I miss the ability to sprawl out, I do NOT miss keeping that thing clean! Now, I just stay on top of the cleaning. Vacuum weekly, dust weekly, clean bathrooms weekly, make bed daily, clean kitchen daily AND close the teenagers' doors! A tidy house keeps me sane especially when it is as small as it is now, but I really am the only one who cares about it!