Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What one room would you add to your home?

Emily H
10 years ago
If you had the space and the funds to do it any way you would like, what ONE room would you add to your current home?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (576)

• Mavis Jones
    7 years ago

A dedicated laundry room. The current laundry space is basically just the walk through from the garage. I would love to be able to do all laundry related things in one space and it just can't be done with the current setup.

• PRO
    Elite Interior Staging
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A beautiful sunroom!

Spring 2017 Parade of Homes · More Info

• PRO
    Studio Geiger Architecture
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would add as much natural sunlight as possible with a room of glass walls! The function could be a Kitchen, Family Room or whatever...

Harbor House, Shelter Island NY · More Info

Harbor House, Shelter Island NY · More Info

• Kim Roberts
    6 years ago

I would add a library since I have more books than I do places to put them.

• buster57
    6 years ago

Oh Kim....just do what my friend's girlfriend made her do when she had too many books - toss them out! How horrifying!!! A library is my dream too but in the meantime I put up bookcases whenever there is an inch of space. Oy.

• PRO
    Douglas Allen Custom Homes and Remodeling
    6 years ago
    I plan on adding a wine grotto by enclosing part of our huge covered patio.
  • Page A.
    6 years ago

A breakfast nook

• PRO
    Cocoweb Inc.
    6 years ago

A home office/craft room would be great as to keep things organized and away from other living areas.

• paddy548
    6 years ago

A conservatory over looking our beautiful back yard.

• Christy Eubanks
    6 years ago

I would love to have a larger pantry / laundry /
    mud room that had an entry from the side yard. I’ve dreamed it up in my head
    and it’s wonderful with big windows. The entry from the side yard would be easy
    access for my two golden retrievers so muddy feet won’t mess up my house when
    it’s raining. The pantry would hold all of my small appliances, food and any
    cookware that I don’t use regularly. Then I would convert my current smaller
    pantry into a shoe closet that is just off of the garage entrance and no more
    shoes would be in my closets. I would convert my current laundry space that is also
    right off of the garage into an office / drop station for my purse, keys, mail,
    and to charge the cell phones.

• Kamille Panganiban
    6 years ago

A sound proof library with a study area & reading nook that has one of those secret bookcase door with stairs that leads to a balcony

• PRO
    Michael Kieley Design Studio
    6 years ago

I would add a writing retreat, a place to also concentrate on reading with no internet or tech devices. There is growing evidence that almost everyone's ability to concentrate has declined due to overuse of social media, constantly checking email, etc. Following the concepts of the book, "Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World," has vastly improved my ability to concentrate during times I set aside for research and writing. Here's a 3-minute video about Deep Work principles. http://creativgrowth.com/2017/07/28/deep-work-3-minutes/

• Cindy Reynolds
    6 years ago

I have lots of rooms...but they all need to be bigger!! Would also love a screened in porch and catio....

• Diane
    6 years ago
    A pool house with in-ground heated pool. Husband said ok, but we live in a suburb of Chicago sitting in a frozen house looking at a pool would further depress me. Today it was -1 when we got up, cold I went back to my heated bed. It has been 8 days since I have left the house I hate the cold.
  • Leeza
    6 years ago

Craft room was always my answer, but we bought a "new" house 2 years ago and I got one!

• designideas4me
    6 years ago

I really want a room with a full length heated lap pool so I can swim year round.

• J Li
    6 years ago

A 3-season room! Having both a screen porch and sunroom area is the best. You can use it all-year ‘round, depending on where you live.

• niecie
    6 years ago

A room to store all of my seasonal décor and Christmas tree.

• lmfi
    6 years ago

A reading room. It could be a family room with some comfortable armchairs, silence and interesting books.

• chloianna
    6 years ago

A beautiful laundry room

• PRO
    Construction
    6 years ago

a safe room (i live in tornado country)

• Francine Willison-Perry
    5 years ago

I would like to have an art studio.

• Jenny Harris
    5 years ago

A master bath with a big soaking tub and an open shower.

• Cynthia Small
    5 years ago

A craft/art room that is super organized.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

A large bathroom with a large curbless shower and steam room

• bgorman16
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Other: I live in a 486 sq ft house, so what I would really like is a living room added to the front end of the house. My current living room also serves as my dining room and my office; it can handle those two roles but the living room too is too much in a 9.5'x10.5' room.

• Kathy Sturgeon
    5 years ago

A mud room/ laundry room/craft and sewing area. Is there such a thing? Yeah, and lots of storage with it!

• lostinreno
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A room of requirement.

• kolo70
    5 years ago

Cat room + catio, Bird room/aviary, piggie room.. and a full spa :)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

lostinreno - best answer ever!!!

• User
    4 years ago

An actual laundry room, not the laundry closet I currently have

• Agnes
    4 years ago

Well, if we're dreaming, an indoor swimming pool!

• buster57
    4 years ago

a soundproof room (with padded walls) so i can scream my head off & then bounce off the walls as needed.

• Barbara Simoes
    4 years ago

Because I live in Vermont and it is grey and cold more than half the year, I've always wanted a sun room. I had built a garage a few years ago, and just recently I built my sunroom that connects the house and garage. I live in it. It is four season with lots of windows, skylights and plants, and it houses my sewing area, it's where I entertain (large bar area on castors) lots of storage, and a three person sauna. I absolutely love it.

• Iman K.A
    3 years ago

meditation room with a beautiful view

• eightpondfarm
    3 years ago

i'd add a large subterranean cheese cellar and den.

• buster57
    3 years ago

A quarantine room with a bathroom and fridge.

• mcbmd3
    3 years ago

Money is no object? I fantasize about a library, English style. Very large, bookcases everywhere, desk, comfy leather seating, Persian rugs, and a library table with an antique atlas open on top. Heaven.

• buster57
    3 years ago

Love your dream room. I 99.9% agree - no leather for me! Pleather is good. :)

• eightpondfarm
    3 years ago

i DID that!!!! transformed an unused bedroom right off one of the doors. Persian rugs...big one of the floor, hanging one also. wall to wall bookcases and a big leather overstuffed with matching ottoman. I'll look for pics.

• buster57
    3 years ago

Well you have to show us pictures or you're just teasing us! :)

• eightpondfarm
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here a shot from Christmas. Right now, the

door's shut it's a storage room for about 8 saddles and looks like crap lol

• buster57
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lovely!! Cozy, comfy and best of all, a dog at your feet when you're reading!! Thank you for sharing.

• ArtWench .
    2 years ago

A medieval styled game room with a huge game table. Tons of bookshelves and storage for game accessories.

• Angie
    2 years ago

Downstairs master bedroom/bath.

• Sandi Stephenson
    2 years ago

Mud room. I just bought a new (old) house where the front door entryway is tiny and off the living room and the back door opens directly into the kitchen. Where am I supposed to put my 40+ shoe collection??? Not to mention the boots, snow suits, hats, gloves, scarves etc? It gets cold here on the prairies during the winter. Thankfully I am only one person and live alone!!!

• zaza
    2 years ago

A play room for my grands.

• Cynthia Small
    2 years ago

Craft room

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Laundry room

• Erika
    2 years ago

Am I weird because I wouldn't add any rooms to my house? I have a 1925 Foursquare with a finished basement and attic. There is a laundry room addition off the kitchen (previous owners partially enclosed the back porch for that). This provides all the space we need plus a convenient location for the laundry. I don't want any more space to heat or vaccum!