Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twashington

long narrow-ish master bedroom

Ty
10 years ago
My wife and I will soon convert our income property apartment back into the house, wall off the current living room and make it our master bedroom. The problem is its kind of long & narrow and feel like its an awkward space to decorate/design for (see photo), especially since we will have our king size bed in there. The space is 18 feet 6 inches long and 10 feet 6 inches wide (the length is from the window wall to the chimney - we plan to build a walk-in-ish closet on the other side of the chimney).

Any ideas on how to work with a long and narrow bedroom, with a big ol' king size bed, and still feel comfortable and spacious?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Larry's Design Center
    10 years ago
    A nice architectural feature is the centered windows below the arched ceiling, a very good spot for your kingsized bed. The remaining space will be tight, therefore I recommend floating shelves, wall mounted side lamps on either side of the bed, using the chimney as a decorative feature and have a skilled carpenter build around it for storage. TV can be wall mounted with an arm that extends and rotates.
    Ty thanked Larry's Design Center
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    Pix.
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Very interesting! I completely overlooked the architectural feature the window and sloped ceiling creates and I totally ignored the exposed brick feature. That makes me want to put the bed under the window (especially since we'd be facing east), but the bed is essentially 7 feet x 7 feet and leaves us only 21" on both sides and with the 5 feet 8 inch knee wall there I'll keep hitting my head on the slope (I'm 6' 3").
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The built-ins are a great idea. Sounds like the best placement for the bed is on the left wall.

The closet we build will most likely replace our big dresser, so the only pieces of furniture we'll have in this new bedroom is our bed and night stands. To keep the space from feeling sparse is there anything else, furniture or element wise, we can get for this room?
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I would prefer the bed on the long wall rather than under the window. How long is a king size bed? I think you would still have enough room to walk by.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    -- Well then, how about something like this . or that . ?

Check out the pendant lights!
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    a king mattress is 76" x 80". our IKEA frame is 82 1/2" and 83 13/16"
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the pendant lights and the long night stand
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- It looks like the construction of this wall unit would be simple. Use the same wood as any other construction done in the space - ie. cabinets, tv unit. Could/should coordinate with your Ikea bed frame.

Keep window covering simple - bamboo blinds, Roman shade, etc........... Roman shade kept to a complete minimum - no tassels or busy chintz print!

Use the entire wall surrounding the windows for cabinet design.
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Are you referring to a specific unit? I think you forgot to include the photo or link
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- I have no link to a unit you could buy complete. Something like this is a custom build. Find a Master cabinet builder in your area and meet with him/her to discuss your particular needs.

Now, there might be some components of this wall unit that you can buy ready-made - like unfinished dressers, over-the-window bookcase, etc., that can be worked in and finished off using molding. I have no idea about the level of your skills, but this should not be terribly complicated.

I really hope these images help!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Storage under the eaves on each side of the bed with a seating group / chairs at the window end where you have a view and can stand up at full height seems ideal.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Move the head of the bed to the side with the column for a bit more privacy and create a stunning dressing room this side of the column with inspiration from houzz dressing rooms. You might consider a barn door / sliding door hardware hung on the brick wall that closes the entry to the bedroom chamber. You would echo the door style in a fixed panel under the eave and notch the top of the door for the rest - so early morning get ready requirements don't drive your partner out of bed before dawn . . . and that keeps the circulation path to the left . . [houzz=
    Children's Hospital Designer Showhouse 2011 · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Closet · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    My Houzz: Raw Meets Refined in an Open Brooklyn Loft · More Info
    ] Plan tall full depth on the right and short use the space under the eave on the left - [houzz=
    Mill Valley Bungalow · More Info
    ]
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nice! A barn yard door! I've been wanting to incorporate that in my house for the longest but never had a place to install it. Thanks for the idea!
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Quick question... An eave is the sloping part of the wall/ceiling, correct?
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    I love the space and I especially love the exposed brick column. When you have a tight space it's important to pick versatile and scale appropriate pieces. I really like the Ceni bedframe from Bryght because it has built in storage, perfect for storing the everyday items and for hiding clutter. The warm wood featured on the bedframe would tie back to the warm tones found in the brick. I think a queen bed would be a good fit within your space. I would place it on the side closest to the window, parallel to the window. In the first part I would a dresser and a mirror, a mirror will reflect and allow the room to appear larger than it is. If you place a mirror(s) over the bed, you could reflect the natural light from the window into your bedroom. I really like the Strip framed mirrors from Bryght, pair two together side by side and it wold frame the bed nicely while also filling up the wall. If you have room then you could place a nightstand on either side of the bed, if not the built in storage of the bed will come in handy. Bryght offers coordinating nightstands within the Ceni collection. In the front area I would fill the wall on the right hand side with a dresser and a clothing rack and a stylish lounge chair... a clothing rack would add to the loft-like look and feel of the space.

Ceni upholstered queen bed
    http://www.bryght.com/product/92/ceni-upholstered-cocoa-storage-queen-bed

Strip framed mirror
    http://www.bryght.com/product/83/strip-framed-square-mirror

Ceni nightstand in cocoa wood stain
    http://www.bryght.com/product/67/ceni-cocoa-nightstand

Ceni Dresser & Mirror
    http://www.bryght.com/product/68/ceni-cocoa-dresser-and-mirror
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    .... To complete the dressing area I really think the Polo armchair in cognac leather coupled with the matching ottoman would look amazing sitting on top of a shaggy cream colored area rug, mix in some stylish lighting and I think you will end up with a cosy bedroom, the perfect space to start and end each day.

Polo Armchair in Cognac Leather
    http://www.bryght.com/product/817/polo-cognac-leather-armchair

Polo Ottoman in Cognac Leather
    http://www.bryght.com/product/821/polo-cognac-leather-ottoman