Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libbmom

What next...redoing sun room to be our family room...eventually...

Libbmom
10 years ago
I have moved my PB rug into sun room...painted...new sofa and chair (flowered chair going else where...and have new woven shades that have shades of the teal in it with brown, tan, etc. installed today...valance has not arrived for 9' slider. The brown doors and trim are being replaced...the part that you cannot see is where the TV will be but now has a piano...

Comments (13)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Nice start on your family room. Unless you need the fan for circulation, I'd replace it with a nice hanging fixture and replace the buffet lamps with proper lamps for the family room. This chart should help with sizing them correctly. Your end tables look a bit too tall. I'd like to see a round and lighter colored coffee table - perhaps metal for a bit of shine in the space, letting your rug show through as well as repeating the round shapes of the flowers. An interesting wood base could add some texture. Maybe you'd prefer a hassock for lounging a bit. Are you considering stationary drapery panels at the windows? That would add a softening touch between the shades and would match the femininity of the floral rug.
    Gwenieve Coctail Table · More Info
    Vitya Glass Coffee Table · More Info
    Libbmom thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kim Walton
    10 years ago
    Agreed! Lamps, then coffee table! I'd wait on replacing the end tables until these other things are done.
    Libbmom thanked Kim Walton
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much for your comments...Yes..lamps are definitely on the list and when walking thru Home Goods that is one of my stops...tables for lamps maybe down the road a bit...My husband has an arrowhead collection...part which are in the wooden box on the bench in front of the sofa...I have been looking for a coffee table that is a display table for these or have drawers that he can lay them out...I have thought about having panels for the windows and really like that look, but wanted to wait until we actually start using the room before I make that decision. The stand with plants near the brown door is actually a wine rack that I hope will relocate once we move piano, teal floral chairs, etc. to other room...it's like playing chess...one thing needs to happen before the next move can happen...
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Oh...ceiling fan removal...I am not big on ceiling lighting, with exception of dining lighting...I really have no ceiling lighting except In kitchen, dining room, and foyer...even if I did I would never turn it on...I love air moving...my ceiling fan in bedroom runs 24/7...
  • Kim Walton
    10 years ago
    PB had a table that would work great
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh...I will have to look for that!!! Many thanks.
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is a lamp I have that will come into this room when I dismantle current family room...found it at a "junk" shop a couple of years ago...look ok?
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have lived with "family" furniture during my entire married life...I was talking to my son, 25, tonight and telling him he has spent more money on furniture for his condo than we ever have...this is not to say we have bad stuff...but my MIL was an avid flea marketer and had a great eye for antiques as well as other items (she bought a strand of pearls to use for every day use rather than use her "good" ones for less than $50...while in NY had them appraised at Tiffany's and they were $2500)... and she was always finding things for all her children, or finding something she liked better and giving her furniture one of the kids...it has been fun putting together a room of items I picked out....and using some of the cherished things that have been given to us as well...hardest thing is...we have small rooms based on today's standard to new home builds...furniture in stores is massive...this recent sofa and chair was about the smallest thing in the furniture store...and it still looks big in this room.
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @janinfo...the tables are very old...one from mother in law and one from aunt...who left it to my mother in her estate...kinda hard to part with those...the lamps currently sitting on those tables are buffet lamps but while they have been useful...they were very inexpensive and the color is flaking off...the single one that I posted above I like and found in junk shop for $30...shade included...and it is very heavy...
  • Kim Walton
    10 years ago
    I don't think the end tables are bad at all and would absolutely wait until the room is "done" before deciding if they need to go. and I love using found or sentimental things too. the lamp is good--eventually you may want a less dressy shade (e.g., linen instead of silk) but that's not a big thing
  • User
    10 years ago
    HI Libbmom- stopping in to say HI, and I love your wooded view off the deck;)
    Libbmom thanked User
  • Libbmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Margo...me too...in the middle of 10 acres of woods...but have carved a little to for a yard. The deck you see runs almost entire length of back of house and is 40x14...I hope to take some of the deck next year and have a screened porch...with deck on top which would be off our bedroom...