Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2013janem

Please help with 100+ year old house master bed/bath design.

2013janem
10 years ago
Remodeling a 100+ year old house w 10' ceilings. Overall design I am shooting for is "uncluttered farmhouse". Making the front room of house into a master bedroom and bath. Even though bedroom will be very small bedroom I want it to feel as uncluttered/calm as possible. I have 3 questions: 1) To move maximum light from east side (bath) into west side (bedroom) would old fashioned glass french doors (with sheer curtains?) be a good or bad idea? I like that look - traditional. Also I don't want them to compete with the built-in wardrobe doors. Or, would privacy dictate solid doors? (there will be a 2nd public full bath on other end of house) 2) Since bath is 15'l, would it make the bath more agreeable to (future) buyers if I added a shower on north end instead of storage (2'd x 5'w)? I could add storage between vanity and tub. 3) Bedroom windows - awning over bed or DH on each side of bed?
Unable to attach drawings so please read following description. Gutted room dimension is 15'4" (east/west) x 15'8" (north/south) before adding wall between bedroom and bath. Using east side of room to make a bath 5'w x 15'8"l. Placing soaking tub w hand shower on south wall, 42'-48" single sink vanity centered on east wall, storage cupboard (base and wall cabinet) on north wall with stool between cupboard and vanity. Awning windows (3'w x 2'h) added on each side of vanity with window height at 8'. Door opening to bedroom can be 42"- 60" (prefer 48") with transom above. Bedroom will be 10'w x 15'8"l. I know-very small. Bed will be placed in center of west wall. Windows will be on west wall only; either awning (size?) above bed or DH (5.5'hx30"w) on each side. If I use DH the one on the sw corner of room will open to foyer. If I use awning they will open to porch. Clothing storage will be 4'w floor to ceiling built-in wardrobes centered on north and south walls with possible base and book case system on either side of wardrobe on north side of room. Ceiling is 6'w x 15'l pine boards running north/south. Floor will be carpet (to appease husband). Door to living room is on sw corner of room. I apologize for book. A pict would have been easier.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County