Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

EEK! Spider in the house! What do you do?

Emily H
9 years ago
There you are, minding your own business when suddenly a big scary spider appears before you. What do you do?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Mouse_spider.jpg (1600×1067) · More Info
Carefully scoot it outside
Squish it!
Burn your house down
Ignore it
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (191)

• ambersarris
    9 years ago
    I use less than a tablespoon of it in my entire bucket of cleaning water once every two weeks so its not at levels that would affect any animals (three of my neighbours cats use my porch seating as their bed). :D but definitely wouldn't want you to jeopardise the health of your pets!
  • catz1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Suzette, you apparently have no idea what offensive is to others. Why would you report this? Obviously, others have something to say about this. I am constantly amazed at what offends. I thought we were all here to learn and share. A whole lot more relevant and interesting to me than some silly quiz. I feel bad that this offended you. Lighten up, life is too short.
  • soto01
    9 years ago
    Arachnophobe here! In my opinion, the only good spider is a DEAD spider! No one is going to make me feel bad about killing any kind of "creepy crawly" in MY house so "bug off" (meant in the most light-hearted way possible!).... I KILL all unwelcome invaders. Oh debsurreal, you have given me the BEST laugh I have had in a long time. I laughed until I cried!!! Poor ex, hope he was able to get some help for his serious issues. Also loved the burning house photo! I am literally in agreement! Lilion, loved your comment about cockroaches and termites! So true!! For those of you who want them spared -- they can multiply at YOUR house. If they come to mine, they DIE! Although, I don't think they are in any kind of danger of extinction (too bad!).
  • kennebunk12
    9 years ago
    thanks ambersarris
  • kookabura1
    9 years ago
    Get a pet kookaburra. I had one living loose in the house for six years. Periodically he'd fly at a wall for no obvious reason and then you would see he had nailed a spider. Of course there are disadvantages to a free-living kookaburra in the house. Oddly some people object to always having a defrosting mouse in the fridge, but no bugs running loose....
  • Ali
    9 years ago
    kookabura1...now there's an idea, except I hate being laughed at all the time!!! :D
  • snaffle
    9 years ago
    A pet kookaburra! Neat! Do you have a gum tree? ;)
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    Get someone else to safely remove it
  • PRO
    FurreverYours
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If the spider looks ominous, I usually squish it but if it looks relatively harmless, I try to scoot it outside. #BeSeenBeSafe
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    If a spider enters my home, he's fair game. Anything with more than 6 legs is getting squished. Centipedes and millipedes scare me too---eyelashes will travel... :)
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Oh wow, what is that Natalie??
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Centipede...
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    I always try to get them outside, but I don't know if I'd be messing around either if there was a bug like that @natalie
  • PRO
    David Thorne Landscape Architect
    9 years ago
    Run! Or ask a braver person to take it outside.
  • Molly
    9 years ago
    I try to get them outside if they are large although I don't mind seeing a daddy long legs in the house. Since moving to Florida I am familiarizing myself with the unique species found here. Last year I was bitten by a Brown Recluse on a canoe trip and still have a nasty scar on my shin.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Spiders DO have a job to do....OUTSIDE my house! I go for the Garfield the Cat method; squish first and don't bother to take names. We seem to have cobwebs appear on a regular bsis around our house; eventually Mrs. River goes for the spray.

On a side note for those of you who are squeamish, my wife went on a mission trip to Jamaica before we were married. Down there they have spiders almost big enough to saddle(okay, that might be a little exaggeration). Anyway, she was preparing to step into the shower when she encountered one of these beasties. She stepped back out of the shower and peeked back in; it had disappeared. "What did you do?" I asked. She said her options were....ah....limited so she took her shower and got out.
  • Elizabeth C
    8 years ago

Put a heavy yellowpage on top of it, then wait for someone to deal with it.

• Val Gibbs
    8 years ago

Put a paper cup on it, then slide a piece of paper under the cup, then take it out doors. I used to have a turranchila and I caught live flies to feed it.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

my cat finds them all before i do. spidey sense, or something.

• camivanzyl
    8 years ago
    I would ignore it or just carefully take it outside
  • EiDesign
    8 years ago
    Catch it under a plastic/discardable cup, and slide a paper under it, and take it outside. Just remember...spiders eat other harmful bugs.
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Most spiders are harmless, and they catch insects that are way more dangerous than the spider is. Take a deep breath, catch and remove from the house. I have an outdoorsy friend who carefully removes all creatures (he's sorta Buddhist) from the path in the wildlife area where he walks every day to protect them from people who'd scream and squish them. Including the rattlesnakes.

I leave spiders in the basement alone.

My elder daughter was terrified of spiders but became a Montessori preschool teacher and had to pretend to be calm and benevolent as she caught and removed any spiders from the classrooms. She demonstrated how to do it and then she could designate one of the "big" kids (four years old rather than two or three) to trap and remove as she supervised. Soon, of course, she lost all fear of crawly critters and now does it without a second thought.

• Ali
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Trivia...

Did you know that Wolf Spiders like to burrow themselves in shaggy bathroom area rugs? Just sayin... LOL

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Well, they're not dumb! Snug as a bug in....

• Ali
    8 years ago

Hahahaha

• stryker
    8 years ago

I just this minute found a 2 inch spider in my bath tub. I washed him down the drain. Not really in the mood for catch and release this morning. He should have stayed outside where he belongs.

• joediedrichs
    8 years ago

Was the spider poisonous? If it was run for the hills if not I would scoot it out the door because I really don't like killing bugs. This may sound stupid but spiders have lives to. You just can't have them multiplying in your house!

• joediedrichs
    8 years ago

Oops forgot feed it to a carnivorous plant problem solved

• dirtgirl64
    8 years ago
    Grab a broom, it's got a loooong handle lol
  • faeriegirl333
    8 years ago

I keep jars tucked away in every part of the house for "capture and release." Spiders are good people; I just prefer not to cohabitate.

• shars55
    8 years ago

Just found a HUGE Desert Recluse crawling on my family room wall the other night....my hubby caught it in a jar, and we sealed it up to show the exterminator I called the next day. I'm OVER poisonous spiders in my house!!!!

• ritting28
    8 years ago
    Spiders kill and eat all the other creepy crawlers
  • Farida Schoenheide
    8 years ago

depends if it is a hobo, recluse or widow I squish it. Otherwise I put them in the garden or flower beds

• sandiocd
    8 years ago
    My boys had a pet tarantula we kept in an aquarium. His name was Gizmo, and we fed him crickets.
    Not scared of spiders but don't like ANYTHING that jumps on me--arachnid, insect or mammal.
  • mom3333
    8 years ago

Get some toilet paper, grab it, and flush it down the toilet

• Hannah Rivera
    8 years ago
    I scream and grab a bowl to kill it
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Most spiders are harmless, even beneficial. Sad to see people killing them when it would just take a minute to remove them from the house.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

my rules are simple

1. Is it running at me or away - Away, you get to live a little longer

2. How big is it- smaller then my palm you get to live a little longer

3. Does it have fat furry legs or skinny ones. Skinny legs, after i clap for the home exterminator he will put you out the door

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

If it's the spider in the picture, there's only one appropriate reaction...RUNNNNN!!!!!

• jenniwimberley
    8 years ago

i'm in the UK, we don't have any dangerous spiders. i used to freak out entirely. but now i just ignore them....even a spider that seems HUGE to us is rarely bigger than the palm of ones hand. plus, they get rid of flies etc. i'm not so happy with the big ones that you can hear clattering across the floor but i'm usually too late for them - one of the dogs will deal with it! but i try to live my life harming as few creatures as possible. killing something because it gives me the heebies would just be selfish.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

lol, totally with you, but i do so love the way you phrase it, jenni! lol

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago

Why a picture! I hate spiders! Squish it, kill it, do whatever it takes to get that out!

• Candace Bailie
    8 years ago
    Get him with hairspray. Works every time.
  • User
    7 years ago

After having been bitten by a wolf spider and spending two days in the hospital. I say kill them all and let their god sort them. I'm not spending my time asking him if he's dangerous first while he plots my death. Just a heads up, if you are allergic to bee stings or wasp bites you are more than likely allergic to spider bites. That being said not all spiders bite humans. Some just aren't able to, don't be mistaken though if they were big enough they would all gang up on us. I hate the little monsters. Oh I voted to kill them with fire. So there.

• Theresa Holt
    7 years ago
    Last time we had a spider in the house it was a Brown Recluse and killed a puppy. Now I kill first and identify later.
  • User
    7 years ago

Good policy in my book.

• shars55
    7 years ago
    I've been bitten, too, rollinggirl, but the desert recluses we have here aren't as poisonous as their cousins, the Browns. I did, however, endure three trips to the doctor and two different antibiotics. (I also have a scar on my forehead) I also kill first, identify later. If that makes me a meanie spider killer.....then oh well!!!
  • User
    7 years ago

@shars agreed .

• Joanne Charamella
    7 years ago
    A lint roller on a painter's extension pole works for me. The roller is far enough away from my face and hands that bugs no longer scare me. I am, however, still totally grossed out when peeling off the tape to dispose of the little suckers.
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 years ago

I would just carefully try and scoot it outside! Although most people's first reaction would be to probably squish it!