Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhmlandsccaping

Our most recent project: A water feature and paving

Rhm Landscaping
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We recently installed this funky water feature and paving area at a Melbourne home. What do you think of it?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Rhm Landscaping
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! We definitely think the owners will get a lot of use out of this.
  • Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Do you have any Before photos to show how you transformed the area? That would be great to see, too.
  • PRO
    Rhm Landscaping
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We will look into it Luke!
  • jonathan3
    9 years ago
    Funky? It looks very natural--great job!
  • rustyand
    9 years ago
    Just what I was thinking that you took a small spring and built around it.. very nice and looks like children could wade in it, and chase small gold fish..
  • house4mjh
    9 years ago
    This water feature not only has dramatic stacking of well balanced upright stones from which the water falls, but they are appropriate for the diameter of the pool. The feature provides nice conversation areas around the pond. Outdoor seating arrangements
    could be developed linking the feature more to the house. People enjoy sitting outside to with the background sound of gently falling water. Pots of varying heights holding colorful plants would compliment and soften the rather severe edges of the walkway and arrangement of the chairs. Is this water feature in front, back, or side of the house?
  • bristow55
    9 years ago
    It looks quite shallow; what is lining it to keep the water in?
  • debmv
    9 years ago
    Love it! It's so natural looking.
  • PRO
    Belknap Landscape Company
    9 years ago
    Nice work everyone. I'm always torn with the use of water in the landscape. I think labeling it natural looking or man made gets us in trouble. Its all about the design and placement of each element. That's the first step in pulling it off. There is balance and symmetry to this feature that suggests man made. The surrounding architecture and space available demands that. As you show us the look of a more natural feature is with the materials. Labeling it man made or natural is only a debate that takes away from a job well done. Very Cool!!! Craig
  • jlmjtm
    9 years ago
    Very nice design, looks cool and refreshing.
  • Sašo Muc
    9 years ago
    Actually I don't think they will have any mosquito problem whatsoever. They are only in standing unpopulated water, everywhere else that has predators or water is moving they don't go. So your bucket for plants will have more mosquito then these.
  • Christiane Wingert
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry too - I think the water feature is too isolated. It needs to be connected to the other "monuments" and possibly to the house somehow. Maybe the photograph doesn't show the whole area and one needs to step further back to see the whole effect. But i would build some walk-ways like sun rays to the house etc.
  • Colleen McCarthy
    9 years ago
    well done, it looks very natural
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    Regrets. I don’t care for it, either. Something to connect the outer ring to the center. More variation in height. Bushes, trees, (pots are fine), perhaps a goldfish or koi or 2. Color - flowers, flowering water plants, floaters. A bench (perhaps stone to go with the solidity of the pond) with colorful cushions to sit and enjoy the sound of the waterfall. Shade for the bench (umbrella or potted tree). A winding path from the house. It should invite visits.
  • bristow55
    9 years ago
    Yes, but I like the concept; a large shallow pond (avoids the Australian requirement for it to be fenced) that could serve as a wildlife pond (a few small fish would eliminate mosquitos). But I dont like pond liner; it seems too temporary. I wonder what this pond is lined with.
  • PRO
    Rhm Landscaping
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all of your comments everyone. It is interesting to hear all of your different thoughts on this! Both we, and most importantly, the homeowner, really love how this turned out.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Water is always soothing. It's nice to have a water feature that someone can enjoy!!! And, as you said, as long as the homeowner loves how it turned out, that's what is most important. Nice job!!!
  • excitedt
    9 years ago
    Great job!