Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamblittle

Sliding Door vs. french doors

lamblittle
9 years ago
I have to replace a slider that goes from the kitchen to an elevated deck and I would like to replace, redesign and do either french doors or the glass bi-fold doors that I see in pictures that look fabulous and open and more spacious. However, I also have a floor to ceiling window around the corner that is right on the deck. What ideas can someone out there give me to change those windows into something else along with the slider replacement? I wondered if there was a way to do the bi-fold type doors on a right angle and connect both openings to make one big door. But, I have a feeling that corner has to be there. See images of deck and doors. Any ideas on designing this would be great!

Comments (26)

• groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I think you're referring to something like the Nanawall system--
    NanaWall SL45 · More Info
    --which is really made for houses with expansive views. Unless you want to open up the whole back side of your house, I don't think it's very practical for this application.

It looks like you might have a great view though, so maybe you DO want to consider opening the whole back side.
    lamblittle thanked groveraxle
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    The window matches a mate to its left and is part of the architectural composition there - not to mention the corner is a structural key to the whole house. Best choice is to install outswing french doors with divided lights to echo your windows. Good luck - you can widen your header but unless you have 10' wide, the ripple impact to your floors, wall, trim and electrical (see sconce outside, receptacles inside) are not likely to be worth another foot or two. If you have 9 - 10' consider a double slider - the openess of a french door, the security and convenience / lack of swing room taken up of a slider.
    lamblittle thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    NanaWall
    9 years ago
    Hi Lamblittle,

Creating one large opening is certainly possible and is a great idea. We would definitely recommend replacing those sliders and the windows with a corner-less NanaWall application to expand the home into the outdoors and to create a key area where you can entertain family and friends. Take a look at the images I've attached and visit our website for more examples.

If you would like to further discuss your project in detail, please get in touch with your local NanaWall Representative, which you can find through our Rep Finder by inputting your zip code: http://www.nanawall.com/reps-finder

Additional Cornerless projects: http://www.nanawall.com/photolibrary?keys=cornerless

Note: We also offer two screening solutions, additional information can be found here: http://www.nanawall.com/products/nanascreen
    lamblittle thanked NanaWall
  • lamblittle
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the nanawall idea. I just hope we can do it.
  • melgr51
    9 years ago
    I would never replace my sliders with french style doors due to furniture placement in my family room. Plus if if has rained and you open a french door the water drips all over your floors. Sliders by Pella or Anderson are made with double panes and are beautiful!
  • PRO
    Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
    9 years ago
    We have installed Nanawalls and it is a great product though not inexpensive (considerably more expensive than sliders or French doors). You will need to be very careful about the engineering of the opening because if there is any sag the doors will not operate properly. I would also be careful about any HOA rules concerning what you can do to your exterior if you are in a condo situation.

If you don't do Nanawall, I would change those floor to ceiling windows with a shorter version and if you have enough space, put in an 9'slider that has a double opening in the middle and gives you a wider open space than a single slider.
    lamblittle thanked Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
  • Deanna Crabtree
    9 years ago
    I have 5 sets of French doors in this house & am going to change to sliders....Also have one set of Anderson sliders 6ft with 6ft stationary windows to each side....lots of light...love this application...
    the folding doors r pricey!!!
    lamblittle thanked Deanna Crabtree
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    When we bought our house, it came with a slider. I made them put a french door in instead, and I had one in a previous house that we installed after knocking out a wall in the living room. I love french doors, I think they look nicer than sliders. It depends on the house, though. Someone mentioned that theirs drips water all over when opened, but ours is under our awning in the back, so it never gets rained on. You can have them open outward, too.
    lamblittle thanked shars55
  • endurancehorsemt
    9 years ago
    The nana wall type systems are extremely expensive and can require special framing and certified installers. I am not sure they are the best fit for a more traditional house such as yours, to me they better fit a modern style house.
    lamblittle thanked endurancehorsemt
  • Arlene L
    9 years ago
    I am building a french country home but chose to go with the french sliders to not lose space when doors open. Our codes do not permit doors to open outward only inward. We chose to go with a taller slider with transom windows. I'd recommend you put a transom window in to perhaps match the current one on the other doors.
    lamblittle thanked Arlene L
  • trisheye
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I agree with arlene105. I wouldn't make the windows shorter. I would make the sliders taller and wider if possible so that you can have the sliding doors that open from the center and slide over the two stationary doors at either end.
    lamblittle thanked trisheye
  • PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Lamblittle, Moving Glass Walls are an idea. Another option is pairing patio doors with sidelites and transoms to expand the opening and fill in narrow spaces. This may be a less expensive option.
    lamblittle thanked Milgard Windows & Doors
  • Mary and MIchael Tonry
    9 years ago
    I was actually just meeting with my architect, and he suggested the possibility of "patio" doors vs. slider or inward opening french doors. One side is stationary and the other swings in but all the way back, folding against the stationary side. You still need the radius to open inward, but it doesn't have to stay that way in terms of movement around the area. We will also considering using a Phantom screen or something like that to screen the opening. We don't like looking through screens all the time, so the Phantom (or similar brand) gives you the option of sliding it into place only when needed - a clear window otherwise.
    lamblittle thanked Mary and MIchael Tonry
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    I would put French doors with transom window over it like your other window...
    lamblittle thanked Libbmom
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    We also have the Phantom screens. They are a little fragile, (you just have to be careful not to yank on them when opening and closing them) I think, but a good option if you want to leave the door open for fresh air. I love that they don't show at all unless they are open.
  • Lucaci Loredana
    9 years ago
    French doors!
    lamblittle thanked Lucaci Loredana
  • queene0318
    9 years ago
    I agree with Libbmom's comment about putting in French doors with transom window over like the other windows. Is most practical and will make the back side of the house look more uniform.
    lamblittle thanked queene0318
  • Laurel Ennis
    9 years ago
    We have cats and live in a wildlife prone area. We had pretty French doors which opened out. That's bad for 2 reasons. One is that the hinge pins are on the outside which means people can get into your house in moments. Two is there is no good way to screen the wide gap of two open doors. We replaced it with a slider and are so happy now!
    lamblittle thanked Laurel Ennis
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Never thought of that, Laurel. (The hinge issue) Phantom screens will cover the gaps, though. My doors open inwards, but I have no furniture issues where they are located. I couldn't be happier with mine!
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't put a slider in for any reason I have 4 sets of French doors I love being able to open them and I think they look much more upscale than sliders
    lamblittle thanked Darla Scheuerman
  • Matt Christensen
    9 years ago
    BiFold doors if you can afford it. There are many options out there, so do some research and contact locale glazers in your area. If your not willing to spend the money just consider the flow of the area, while French doors work? Or will sliders work better. I like sliders personally. French doors seem to limit you on how you can lay out your spaces, both on the interior and exterior.
    lamblittle thanked Matt Christensen
  • lamblittle
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I thought of that too Matt C. If I have the french doors open in, then I will have to move my kitchen table or get a smaller one. I would love to open up the back of the house as groveraxle said, but I would have to take out a huge loan to do something that drastic. and I don't know that it would increase the value of my home. I've received some quotes and I need to get more quotes but it's looking like I will be going the French door route or bi-fold sliders.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Those bi-fold doors are over the top expensive. Go ahead and price them but you better sit down before you hear the prices.
    lamblittle thanked leelee
  • endurancehorsemt
    9 years ago
    And it's not just the price of the "nana wall" doors, it's the price and feasibility of the framing. You need something to hold your house up above that corner, can't just remove all that structure.
    lamblittle thanked endurancehorsemt
  • PRO
    Designs by Rikki
    5 years ago

Have you thought about bi-fold french doors (similar to a nanawall) but they slide in there own framed opening. bi fold french door tri-fold french door#2