Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Cpartist's Kitchen Finished

cpartist
5 years ago

I know I had said I wouldn't post again until Sophie came back but so many of you helped me with my kitchen and listened to my tales of woe, I didn't think it fair not to show the final product. I also did a thread for my house build but decided to do a separate kitchen one. Here is the thread with my house finished

Now onto my kitchen:

Cabinets: Amish made in Ohio and installed by the store in FL I bought all my woodwork from. They will not do business outside of FL. I'm sorry I do not know who actually made the cabinets.

Island is quarter sawn oak in a dark stain. Sorry I don't remember the stain color.

Perimeter cabinets are brown maple painted SW Classic Light Buff.

Floors: Kahr's Canvas Collection - color Bristle

Counters: Fascination Quartzite

Stained Glass: Glass Crafters, Sarasota FL.

Backsplash: Jeffrey Court 3" x 6" ceramic tile - color Spanish Moss

Ceiling Paint: BM Wilmington Tan flat finish

Trim Paint and divider cabinets between living and dining/kitchen area : BM Cotton Balls semi-gloss

Wall Paint: BM Fernwood Green - matte finish

Glass Pulls and Knobs: Signature Hardware

Appliance Pulls: Amerock - Highland Ridge in Polished Nickel

Island Stools: Midland

Island and Perimeter Hanging Lights: Arroyo Craftsman - Glasgow

Dining Area Light: Arroyo Craftsman - Huntington

Faucets: Rohl Italian Country Kitchen Collection

Prep Sink: Shaw Fireclay Allia Sink

Clean Up Sink: DXV 30" Hillside Fireclay Sink

Dishwasher: Miele G 6785

Refrigerator: Bosch B36IT800NP

Range Hood: Zephyr Monsoon I

Oven: Bosch 500 Series 30" Single Wall Oven - HBL5451UC

Cooktop: Bosch 800 Series 36" Induction Cooktop - NIT8668SUC

Microwave: Sharp 24" Drawer Microwave - SMD2470AS

Dining table, chairs and buffet cabinet all came from my condo.

Starting with the most important thing: Paper Towel Pig! (found on Amazon)

Looking from the living room towards the kitchen

Looking at kitchen from dining area.

Kitchen Island: DW on right. Silverware top drawer. Dishes middle drawer

Under Sink storage pull outs

Silverware storage

Comments (118)

• Jo
    5 years ago
    Would you mind sharing how you organize large serving spoons, ladles, tongs, etc. Perhaps you are using one of the drawers you showed above and I could not see it well? Thanks.
    cpartist thanked Jo
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here you go. One side of my cooktop has my baking stuff and the other is all my ladles, spoons, etc.

My baking drawer and things I don't use frequently:

My cooking drawer.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

{{sigh}} I need those drawers!

cpartist thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I love your wide drawers... I've put you in the Cheryl Hewitt category for kitchen organization : ) Of course, I should have known you'd be utterly organized!

I'm incredibly envious of your baking pan and flat storage area above your wall oven - I'm guessing that was made by your cabinet maker? Nice!

cpartist thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Jo
    5 years ago
    Beautifully organized. Thank you so much for sharing.
    cpartist thanked Jo
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

love your wide drawers... I've put you in the Cheryl Hewitt category for kitchen organization : ) Of course, I should have known you'd be utterly organized!

LOL. I can't stand clutter. That's why I have the doggie garage and DH's coffee cabinet.

I'm incredibly envious of your baking pan and flat storage area above your wall oven - I'm guessing that was made by your cabinet maker? Nice!

It's actually an easy thing to add above a cabinet.

Beautifully organized. Thank you so much for sharing.

Happy to do so Jo.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Late to the party but I love everything. Especially those countertops. Great job!
    cpartist thanked K R
  • User
    5 years ago

Can I ask what height your ceilings are? And I really love your countertops. Lovely all around!

cpartist thanked User
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Karen Rose.

Stephanie, they're 10'.

• User
    5 years ago

Oh I think your kitchen is lovely. And yes, I have drawer envy...enough to make me a least go off to organize some...so thank you for that :)

(sorry to see you won't post because of Sophie. I don't think anyone should have that much power over another)

cpartist thanked User
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

OT: CPArtist, remember the SF house by Green & Greene without a lot of wood I told you about once? Well it's for sale. I didn't see any still photographs. There is a video the interior of the main house. I am sad to see the family sell. The video actually does not do the house justice.

https://www.greengablesestate.org/the-property

PS I was told that this was the only house Greene & Greene made without the heavier wood, at the request of the mother of the family.

cpartist thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh I think your kitchen is lovely. And yes, I have drawer envy...enough to make me a least go off to organize some...so thank you for that :)

You're welcome. LOL

(sorry to see you won't post because of Sophie. I don't think anyone should have that much power over another)

Sophie doesn't have power over me. It's houzz deciding that Sophie wasn't allowed to post here that got me to leave.

OT: CPArtist, remember the SF house by Green & Greene without a lot of wood I told you about once? Well it's for sale. I didn't see any still photographs. There is a video the interior of the main house. I am sad to see the family sell. The video actually does not do the house justice.

https://www.greengablesestate.org/the-property

PS I was told that this was the only house Greene & Greene made without the heavier wood, at the request of the mother of the family.

Yes I do remember you talking about it. Wow. I hadn't seen that house. The trim work is similar to mine. I would love to be able to see more photos of it. Thank you.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    5 years ago

Love the kitchen & the rest of your house!! So well done CP. Also, I just had to comment on the bottle of Frangelico in the DH's coffee cabinet! Go DH! :)

cpartist thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Lori. And yes, sometimes coffee can use a little something extra. ;)

• leslie1228
    5 years ago

I love your home! As others said, it is perfect!

cpartist thanked leslie1228
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Leslie and as I noted in your thread, it's definitely not perfect but it works for us. :)

• shead
    5 years ago

cpartist, is your kitchen floor plan posted somewhere? I'm interested in your cabinet dimensions on your prep sink wall, particularly your corner drawers, sink cabinet, microwave/speed oven cabinet, and your appliance pantry cabinets. And what was your kitchen size overall? Thanks!!

• cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Not the final. Here it is. It's not an appliance cabinet. It's a cabinet for coffee and the toaster oven because someone (he who shall remain nameless) likes to leave spoons and pods out.

The total length with the dining area is 21' long. These measurements below have been slightly altered once they had the drywall up. If you'd like, I can measure the actual cabinets later. I believe the cabinets under the cooktop were made a bit narrower and the cabinet to the right of the cooktop made a bit wider but let me measure.

For example, I know my island is 82" long and a bit wider than 42" because I believe I actually have 18" of legroom underneath the counter.

Microwave is a drawer microwave and not a speed oven.

The corner drawer cabinet is actually 36" x 36".

• shead
    5 years ago

Perfect, thank you! We use our toaster oven and panini press A LOT and I hate seeing those things out on the counter. I'm trying to figure out how wide I need a "pantry" to be to store those items.

How do you feel about your prep sink size? My last one was on the small side but was put into a 24" cabinet. I see yours is an 18" cabinet, which would be great since it allows wider drawers/cabinets on both sides. However, I've seen some say they wished their prep sink were larger. Since mine will mainly be used for thawing meat, though, I'm thinking it probably doesn't need to be too big (just big enough for a stock pot or colander) as to not require as much water to cover the meat/seafood package.

Thanks for the info!

cpartist thanked shead
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Honestly I wouldn't go narrower than the 30" we have. Anything narrower might be a bit too tight.

I'm very happy with my prep sink. I use it for rinsing veggies and washing fish mostly and with just two of us, it's plenty big. DH uses it for the dog's food since the dog eats RAW.

Where did you decide to put the prep sink and have you considered using a larger sink instead?

• shead
    5 years ago

Lol, well, you'll fall over when I tell you that we've decided to put the main sink in the island! Both my SIL's have theirs in their islands and after talking to them, they've convinced me it won't be so bad...lol. I still don't want to cross aisles with prepped meat so it'll be on the perimeter. I've moved a few other things around pantry-wise and still working on that so I'll hold off posting anything more until it's more firm.

I've been measuring appliances and I think I'll need a 39" (at least, maybe even 42") appliance pantry which I'll put beside the fridge. It'll house our microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker, toaster, and panini press. That way I don't have to buy an undercounter microwave and can use my $100 dependable Panasonic one from Costco :-)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well as you can see, I have my main sink in my island too and I'm quite happy with it there. I don't use it for prepping, but DH does occasionally help and he does help clean up as I work. It works great for the both of us. Consider getting a cover for when you entertain.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Since someone mentioned this thread again in another thread, I thought it only fair to post a link to my finished kitchen. I went with the Mennonite cabinets and they are fabulous. Here is the LINK

• Ali Elyse
    4 years ago

@cpartist love your kitchen! is your refrigerator paneled to match the cabinets?

Did i I see a doggie door in the hallway?

And can I see the inside of the coffee garage?

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@cpartist love your kitchen! is your refrigerator paneled to match the cabinets?

Thank you Ali.

Yes the fridge is paneled to match the cabinets, including the height.

Did i I see a doggie door in the hallway?

In the hallway are you talking about this? It's our Princess's hideaway under the stairs especially since she's afraid of thunder but she loves to sleep there too. This is in the hallway to the master suite.

Pic of the princess doing her favorite thing, sunning herself outdoors. For those who don't recognize the breed, she's an American Hairless Terrier. With the exception of whiskers and eyelashes, she's completely hairless.

And can I see the inside of the coffee garage?

Don't know if you missed it under the original post but there's a link to open up many more posts which have many more photos.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

I love the Princess' color coordinated sweater & tennis ball. :)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL. I missed that Lori!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

She's so cute!

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    4 years ago

Just seeing this. Beautiful because it's all you. I find it refreshing that it's unique, too. I echo the comments above. You know, I started checking out Houzz to learn a few things when me and my DH began the journey of a new build. Thank you for your various advices, humor, and classy touches. You are one I've learned from. I do admit tho, I looked for Sophie every chance I got because I love the grace with truth in her humor. It made my day! Anyways, beautiful home and your doggo- wow never seen one - who wouldn't love that face. cutiepatooty

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Diana. She's a sweetie pie too.

Thank you KeeptheFaith. I do appreciate your comments. And like you, I miss Sophie.

• Ali Elyse
    4 years ago

Who is Sophie and why is she gone?

• shead
    4 years ago

"Who is Sophie and why is she gone?"

Sophie was a long-time Gardenweb and Houzz Pro who always provided invaluable, unvarnished advice/truth on these threads. She never sugarcoated anything and that rubbed some people the wrong way leading them to flag numerous posts and her account was deactivated. It's very unfortunate because 99.9999% of the time, her advice was dead on and 100% accurate. Some people just don't like the unvarnished truth, though.

cpartist thanked shead
  • Keepthefaith MIGirl
    4 years ago

And she was a stitch! 'Why can't we laugh at ourselves anymore?!' I miss 'Sophie' for sure!

• Ali Elyse
    4 years ago

That’s too bad

cpartist thanked Ali Elyse
  • shead
    4 years ago

Cpartist, how do you like your range hood? I've had a Vent-a-Hood previously but am researching other alternatives as I didn't just love mine :/

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

shead, so far I'm happy with mine. Mine is only 600 CFM if I recall correctly which is enough for my cooking. In fact I never seem to need to crank it up as it does seem to pull the stuff up. If I had a gas range though, I'd definitely go with something more powerful.

• shead
    4 years ago

DH is pretty insistent on induction this time around so a lower CFM would probably work. I am very sensitive to loud noise, though, and even the supposedly quiet Vent-a-Hood was so loud (higher CFM’s) that I often didn’t run it unless absolutely necessary :/

Thanks for the info!

• Olyunfa gren
    4 years ago

It is nice !!!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Gonna chime in, we also got the same range hood as cpartist and her DH, and also an Induction (but we've a slide-in range) - the 600 CFM is quite enough for me, and I cook a lot. I've already seared several things on high heat, as well as long cook's, and have yet to go the full power. I think it goes to 6, and my highest has been 3, and 4 briefly. I previously had a microwave affixed recirculating fan which was so noisy I never used it. The Zephyr is remarkably quite to my ears.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Happy to help shead

• massagerocks
    4 years ago

Just Stunning. I love your confidence and ability to see the big picture and stay with it. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and all the details. They are so very helpful! I have a quetion about your induciton cooktop. I'm starting the building process and am considering an induction cooktop, but have always cooked with gas. Did you buy all new cookware for the induction? My All Clad cookware is about 10 years old and all attract a magnet except my griddle pan. Do you think these will work? Also do you find that your pans rattle when heating up, or that the cooking is noisy in this sense? I appreciate your comments, I dont know anyone with an induction cooktop to see in person.

cpartist thanked massagerocks
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just Stunning. I love your confidence and ability to see the big picture and stay with it.

Thank you. It's always best when putting together a room or a house to try and get all or at least most of the elements worked out before you even begin. For those just starting, a good way to do this is to create mood boards to make sure it will all work together.

And then truly think about your needs and how you work.

You are very talented. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and all the details. They are so very helpful!

I'm happy to help.

I have a quetion about your induciton cooktop. I'm starting the building process and am considering an induction cooktop, but have always cooked with gas. Did you buy all new cookware for the induction?

I had to buy some new cookware as much of it wasn't induction ready. My iron pans worked as well as my large stock pot and my wok. The rest went to our kids.

I used to cook with gas too. I won't go back. Cleaner, more precise, no heating up the room and less bad stuff in the air.

My All Clad cookware is about 10 years old and all attract a magnet except my griddle pan. Do you think these will work?

Yes they absolutely will work as well as any iron pans you have.

Also do you find that your pans rattle when heating up, or that the cooking is noisy in this sense?

One pot does rattle but it's the exception, rather than the rule. Otherwise I don't find it noisy at all. I appreciate your comments, I dont know anyone with an induction cooktop to see in person.

Is there a better appliance store in your area where you can go and look at induction? Maybe they have one that is a working cooktop so you can try it out with one of your pans?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Really nice!:)

I have the same paper towel holder...so fun...puts a smile on my face every morning!

cpartist thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Home Interiors.

I agree about the paper towel holder. Makes me smile too.

• Ali Elyse
    4 years ago

I was considering induction until I realized that you can’t have that and a pacemaker (because of the magnets) so bummed!! I love you kitchen.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was considering induction until I realized that you can’t have that and a pacemaker (because of the magnets) so bummed!! I love you kitchen.

WRONG! In most cases nowadays.

My DH has a pacemaker. The original pacemakers were a problem but most nowadays are not. In fact my DH's pacemaker is over 20 years old.

What we did is call the number on his pacemaker card to ask the company. What they told us was the following:

"As long as he keeps the pacemaker at least 6" from the stove surface, he should be fine." He's cooked on the cooktop with no problems.

Some sites do say to keep the pacemaker 2' from the surface. I'm relatively short at 5'3" and find I can easily stand and stir with my chest 2' from the surface. Best though to call your pacemaker company like we did.

• massagerocks
    4 years ago

cpartist--Thank you for your help and insight! much appreciated!!

cpartist thanked massagerocks
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

cpartist, we are slooowly getting things done (why did we put so much on ourselves, LOL!) and DH has tasked me with finding under cabinet lighting, which is odd as I'm not the electrician in the family. Do you happen to remember the brand or type you had installed? Might there be a name somewhere in tiny-tiny print on one of them perhaps? I only say that as I'm sure if at one time you did know that detail, it may be long forgotten!

Every time I look at your neatly organized cooking utensils drawers I think perhaps I have too many cooking utensils!

• cpartist
    Original Author
    4 years ago

2Many message me. :)

• H JM
    2 days ago

Cpatrtist… your home is so beautiful. Another post mentioned your name and that you did corner drawers vs lazy Susan … a search doesn’t come up with the thread, bit I see in your photos you have drawers.
    Can you share your take on corner drawers, how you like them , what you store in there , do they operate smoothly and not awkward ? Thanks !