Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsayro

Did you cover the ceiling pipes with material before painting?

lindsayro
9 years ago
It looks like the pipes in the ceiling have been covered with special material to create a sleek / smooth surface. What are they covered with and what kind of paint did you use?
Duncan Avenue Basement Renovation · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Ryan Duebber Architect, LLC
    9 years ago

There were no special coverings. What you see is just the painted ductwork. I am honestly not sure exactly what paint was used. It was applied with a sprayer.

• susan48085
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I did this in our basement. Masked off the walls, covered the floor and everything I couldn't move out of the area, rented the sprayer and got to work. 600 square feet used 9 gallons of Glidden flat black paint (Home Depot has it in stock, no mixing needed). It took about 3 hours of spraying plus prep and cleaning the sprayer afterward for a total of about 6 hours. Had to stop and bag the lights each time I got to one of them so it was pretty dark toward the end. I held a shop light in one hand, the sprayer in the other, dragged a stool to stand on, and used a small foam roller to smooth out any drips as I went. It looks GREAT. Total cost was about $325 with the rental, paint, masking paper and tape.

Reminder: Spend the time to fasten / straighten / clean up all of your wiring and stuff in the ceiling before you start.

Hint: Wrap any water valves and cable connections in the ceiling with Saran Wrap before you paint. It's easy to remove after the paint has dried and no sticky connections.

Hint: Buy one of those Tyvek painter jumpsuits for $10 and wear it including the hood. I also wore booties over my shoes and a face mask so I didn't breathe in the overspray. I tried wearing goggles but that didn't work. When I was done all around my eyes and my hands were covered in paint but the rest of me was pretty clean.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Thanks for the run down. Glad it worked out.

• Kelley Nancy
    8 years ago
    Susan, thank you for the great instructions. One question: if you wrap all the cables, wires, etc in Saran Wrap - after the black paint has dried won't they be more obvious and stick out?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I believe that Susan was only saying that you wrap specific items in saran wrap to protect them from the paint (i.e. water shut-offs and connections points). You would take the saran wrap off after it dries.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions