Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramona_fernandez

Furniture Finishes and Choosing Sofa For My Living/Dining Room

Ramona
9 years ago
Dear Houzz friends. I need help choosing finishes for my dining room chairs and buffet. Both are vintage and excellent quality. I am thinking of doing a silver finish on the chairs. I don't want to overdue the silver, but am thinking of doing it on the china cabinet also. My nesting tables are screaming for a different finish also. I don't want shabby chic on these pieces.

I also need help with my color scheme. Originally, I was going to buy a pale yellow and natural Ethan Allen rug for the living room area; however, the price deterred me. I will not be in this home more than three more years and I didn't want to spend big bucks on a rug that wouldn't fit in my retirement home. The present lattice design rug was a bargain from OKLane, but was supposed to be silver. Instead it is a blue lavender which just happened to match the back of the shelving I had repainted.

There are a number of problems with this room.

My plans are to buy a couch and ottoman and parallel the fireplace and bookcases with it. No other arrangement is possible because there are so few walls and so many entrances to this room.

Please look at my ideabooks for a sense of my style and more pictures of all of this.

I'm counting on my Houzz friends to help me finish all this.

PLEASE help me with furniture finishes and finalizing color scheme.

[houzz=
My Living Dining Room Ideas · More Info

[houzz=

Comments (818)

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

chairs silver, china hutch oyster which is much whiter than the sample on screen and the back of hutch in the marquis grey which has a purple undertone.

My Living Dining Room · More Info

by the way, below would be my ideal table

WASHED BEECH ROUND DINING TABLE :: Washed Beech :: Sale :: Interiors By Vale · More Info

so I know the table is the problem, but I am more than willing to mess with it as it wasn't expensive but is well built. I am thinking of doing a grey wash over the wood grain top and given that the inspiration finish, which is on a Bernhardt, has a leather finish paint on bottom, I am willing to try that too because Ralph Lauren has a leather finish paint too.

The alternative is to go very dark on the tabletop. In which case, I would want to go ebony. I'm not sure what to do about the table base.

I don't want to ruin the chairs or hutch as they are quality, but have no problem messing with the table.

All this is the dining room side of the living/dining which is one big squarish space with the sunroom on one side and the kitchen passthrough on the other.

thank you guys for sticking with me. I'm not sure how many people here finish their rooms on any kind of reasonable timeline, but all of us have life intervening and if we were all rich, we'd just have someone do it all for us.

one of my relevant ideabooks: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/20229975

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

Chairs in silver, check. Hutch in Oyster, check, back in darker shade with purple undertones, table in a heather gray (up for options). I want something to "match" to why not do the table to match hutch? Why go for a third light shade? I recall you were going to have the hutch done professionally. Still the plan? Not sure I like this but had you considered doing the table base in the darker gray with the purple undertones as well? And the top in the oyster or even vice a versa? Darker top, oyster bottom? Then the chairs will will be the only silver bits in that. (unless the hutch grills are/could be silver) Will you be putting a chair cushion on the rush bottom chairs?

Ramona thanked lessismoore
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't want to cover the wood table top in paint. I want the grain to show there. I get your idea about something matching. So how about the tabletop in the grey wash and the base painted not in the grey leather paint, but in the oyster?

all the paints are different shades of Ralph Lauren metallic, so I think they will blend.

Yes, I will have hutch done professionally. I can't make the hutch grills silver as the hardware is a toned down brass?

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

You can always add in some silver with accessories, candlesticks, bowl, etc,

Okay, this is SUPER simplistic, but give you an idea of how these colors then work relative to each other. I put the table legs and hutch the same as you suggested?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you soooo much for doing that

I have plenty of silver for the table including a big silver tray and pewter stuff too.

what do you think?

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

I guess my only concern is for the darker color in the back of the hutch. Don't most people try and do them lighter since they receed anyhow ? Or even mirrored to better show off the contents. But, it you have all light dishes/etc. it might be fine. I do like the idea of the color with the purple undertones based on all your other purple/blues. What do you think?

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    7 years ago

ohmygoodness, has this thread really been going since 2014?! i'm amazed ;)

xoxo eva @ MONARCH SOFAS

CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF CUSTOM SOFA AND SECTIONAL PROJECTS

• Wendy
    7 years ago

My concern with the darker interior is that it would be repeating the cubby shelving paint.

I do agree that the table is problematic. I guess I would just mess with it and see. But, if any option was open, I would probably lean towards a non-painted French farmhouse style table. Maybe close in color to the rush seats.

Ramona thanked Wendy
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

many threads keep going as we are human beings with lives. my sofa is finally being built.

people have all sorts of crises which prevent them from decorating. Saving my beloved pet ate up and continues to eat up all the money I was going to spend on living/dining room.

there are hundred of really dead threads which get reposted here all the time; threads much further back without original poster involved at all.

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I want a round table for sure. Eventually, I may find the perfect one, but for now, messing with the one I have is preferable to buying something just to 'match.'

My rush seats are naturally aged to a grey as they are vintage and in perfect condition.

So are you urging doing the hutch all in oyster? I could live with that. I will think on it.

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

I think I'd been tempted to do the back of the hutch in the same silver as the chairs. On the table, can it be reduced to a round? I know, way back now, we talked about you making a custom drop skirt cloth for it. I still like that idea :-)

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Silver on the back of the hutch. I like it. The table is round with a leaf. Some pictures I have posted show it round, some oval.

I still might make that custom drop skirt no matter how the refinishing comes out and use it for special occasions, not that I have many of those.

And yes, I still plan to make seat cushions but put that on back burner as everything else needs to be done first. That will be one of the last things done for the room.

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Madison Bench - 18063797 - Overstock.com Shopping - Great Deals on Crafted H · More Info

$274.49

55 inches long x 24 inches wide x 18 inches deep

Safavieh Leary Washed Natural Wicker Bench - 14846712 - Overstock.com Shopping - · More Info

Today: $123.99

12 in. H. x 27.2 in. W. x 39.4 in D.

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

18.75 in. H x 44.5 in. W x 18.25 in. L

Upton Home Cambria Black/ Natural Water Hyacinth Bench - 16609518 - Overstock.co · More Info

Today: $161.99

Ezra Seagrass Coffee Table · More Info

$899.00

• 54"W x 30"D x 19.25"TI have been waiting for a 40% sale.

the others above are way more affordable, but I'm not sure if I can downgrade to the ones above.t

What do you guys think?

• Wendy
    7 years ago

Sorry, Ramona. A lot going on.

I wouldn't be able to downgrade either. The one from Horchow id gorgeous.

Ramona thanked Wendy
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sofa and ottoman · More Info

Time to pull the trigger?

I've seen 40% off; I've seen free shipping.

$899.00

Promotion Applied

- $269.70

Gift Packaging

$0.00

Shipping

$100.00

Sales Tax

$43.76

Order Subtotal

$773.06

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    7 years ago

Ramona, I am so pleased you have landed on a Hickory Chair sofa. I've sold hundreds of thousands of dollars of HC, and can tell you there will be no regrets. Their spring-down cushion gives you a nice crown and the softness you find in a down cushion, without crushing. Their tailoring is second to none. A couple of questions...Is there a specific reason you are taking out the tufting?...and are you dropping your skirt directly from under the seat cushion?

Ramona thanked karen paul interiors
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Karen

The tufting is significantly more dollars. I don't dislike. I am sort of 50/50 on either choice. My fabric is only one grade down from highest, so even with Lenoir discount, this sofa is pricey, but I don't mind. I will have it the rest of my life. I assumed the skirt would start just under. Your question made me realize that I've seen other ways of doing that. Time to call for an update on when sofa will be ready and get clarification. The fabric looks really nice. Best now just to wait for the finished product and post pics of it in my living room.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    7 years ago

If you can possibly afford the tufting, I would do it. Part of the charm of this piece is the tufting AND for sake of practicality, the back is more secure with fabric wearing better and longer with the tufting. The look you are wanting comes with the waterfall skirt (coming from under the cushions). The devil is in the details as you know. Since you have gone all in on quality and it will be your forever sofa, I would suggest you create the optimum look so you will never have to think about "what if I had....". Again, I'm thrilled with your choice. What is your fabric specifically?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Karen,

I tried to call you before I ordered the sofa. Actually I did call you, but you may not have received the phone call. I didn't make a decision against the tufting. The first version of this sofa I saw was without the tufting. Afterwords, I saw the tufting and requested the price.

I called Lenoire and they called Hickory chair who said that my sofa was too far along to change. It is close to being ready to ship.

I plan to cover it with pillows, so the tufting would only be peeking out. I think it is going to be very very sturdy. Water beads up on it as does coffee. However, if I do recover it eventually, I will switch to tufting just for variety.

I had a very bad fall and was in the hospital for 16 days. I am now at home but with only the use of my right arm and leg fully. The material sample is somewhere in the house, but finding it in my present state is a little bit of a challenge. I will post it if I find it before the sofa arrives. It is white Sunbrella with a very interesting irregular corded texture. The sample says it is bleachable!!!

So, the next step will be picking throw pillows and a coffee table/bench.

I almost bought the following, But have been waiting for a 40% sale because that happened before.

Ezra Seagrass Coffee Table · More Info

I would make a cushion for this for every day use and remove the cushion for entertaining, Adding trays.

However, I just found this and I'm wondering what all of you think about it.

Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas · More Info

It is Berhardt which is a brand we know Lenoire can get for me. I have no idea about the possible color choices although it looks like white leather is a possibility.

When the sofa arrives, I will take out my fabrics, including the extra fabric I have from the MGM chairs. We can brainstorm.

I am committed to painting the dining room furniture, but have not made final decisions on the colors. Leaning towards oyster metallic white for the China hutch. Found a wonderful blue grey to put on the top of the table and still want to do my chairs in the silver.

So, I am excited, but I cannot do my part of the work until August if I still have time before the semester begins.

I am hoping to get the following color on top of my natural finish round dining room table

the china hutch will be

Metallic Finishes for Living Dining Room · More Info
    which looks way more yellow than sample chip

Mixing Blue, Lavender and Silver · More Info

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

Poor Ramona! I hope you feel better soon.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    7 years ago

Ramona, so sorry for that terrible fall. Hopefully life gets easier sooner rather than later. BAAAH!

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hey peeps

this berhardht bench is almost $200 less than horchow table

lenoir is checking on fabric for me

I think it will be better quality and more french

have plenty rush in room already

thoughts?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

samples of driftwood finish

Mixing Blue, Lavender and Silver · More Info

http://diydriftwood.com/driftwood-weathered-wood-finish/

But what do you think about Bernhardt vs. Horchow?

• Depo
    7 years ago

I love the Bernhardt bench, myself Ramona. I know I'm not one of the people you were asking, but I think it looks sturdier to use as an ottoman as well as a table.

Ramona thanked Depo
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

well, we used to have a posse here but alas life gets in the way.

I welcome all input.

I think you are right, but don't know material on Bernhardt yet.

• User
    7 years ago

Ramona, I'm so sorry you hurt yourself, and I hope you get better soon!

Ramona thanked User
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

trek what do you think of Berhardht vs. Horchow benches?

• User
    7 years ago

I agree to go for the sturdiest one. But that's because my hubby is hard on furniture. You're going to have such a pretty house! Great people working here, can't go wrong!

who cares if it takes awhile, my place is taking forever!

Ramona thanked User
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I purchased this. It can go on bed if not okay for sofa.

SALE %50 12x16 inches-Violet Velvet ikat PillowHandmade by BERZEY · More Info

trying to get samples and see if any of these will work

With FEDEX ikat velvet fabrics decorative fabric by BERZEY · More Info

Silk Ikat Handwoven Periwinkle Blue Natural by bazaarbayar on Etsy · More Info

With FEDEX Width: 17 inches ikat velvet fabrics by BERZEY on Etsy · More Info

20x20 inch Luxurious Lilac ikat PillowHandmade by BERZEY on Etsy · More Info

With FEDEX 16x24 inches-Velvet ikat PillowHandmade by BERZEY · More Info

18x18 violet ikat pillow cover cushion silk cotton ikat by SilkWay · More Info

Violet White İkat Decorative Pillow Cover Silk İkat by mertakkul · More Info

HALF YARD Ikat handloomed purple plum and white by kimonomomo · More Info

My Living Dining Room · More Info

what do you all think of last fabric for kidney pillow on zebra chairs? I'd like a solid purple there maybe.

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

going for this look on sofa, but should have gone tufted

And I want this blue purple combo. It is spiritual and healing

Living Space · More Info

this is coming, only in white with lavender velvet pillows

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Handwoven Mudmee 100% Cotton from Thailand. by notionallybetter · More Info

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Onc. Mayfair 'Trinity' (Onc Fuchs Gold x Onc Gower Ramsey) Orchids.com · More Info

SALE %50 12x16 inches-Violet Velvet ikat PillowHandmade by BERZEY · More Info

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is my actual sofa

and this is the bench/ottoman I have ordered

Metal Bench | Bernhardt · More Info

First question: should I start another thread?

Second question: should I add pillows/change pillows. These are not the originals which came with the sofa. The color was too grey for my taste. I swapped out these two toned linen pillows and added the silk/cotton Ikat from Turkey.

I have a sample of another Ikat I will use for dining room chair cushions, but am wanting to make some lumbar pillows too. Would it be too much?

The first two pictures are of fabric I have on hold while trying to decide how much to order. The third picture is Madeline Winerib which I cannot afford at $450/yd minimum 5 yard purchase. I thought I would never find something this close. Soooo. . .how many pillows do I make? Just four for my dining room chairs or some others.

15x15 violet ikat pillow cover cushion silk cotton ikat by SilkWay · More Info

18x18 violet ikat pillow cover cushion silk cotton ikat by SilkWay · More Info

Madeline Weinrib - Ikat - Pillows · More Info

• Stefanie
    7 years ago

Looks great. I like the smooth back. Is it long enough to lay out or you don't do that on it?

Ramona thanked Stefanie
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, it is plenty long enough to sleep on for my 5'8" frame and more comfortable than my bed!! It is firm and soft at the same time.

• User
    7 years ago

Hi Ramona, just stopped by to say that I love your sofa, use of violet, purple, and blues in the the room, and love those Louis chairs in the zebra print. Where are you planning to place the bench that you ordered? So pretty, btw.

I didn't realize how long this thread was, so it is going to take me a little time to catch up reading all the comments. Hope to come across some more pictures of your space :-)

Ramona thanked User
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, maybe I should start a new thread. The bench goes in front of sofa as ottoman/coffee table. If you click through to Bernhardt site, you see a picture of it being used just like that. What do you feel about pillows?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• User
    7 years ago

I like the pillows that have both purple and ivory in them better than the ones you have on the sofa now because I think the cream or ivory relates nicely with the color of the sofa. Love the small pillow on the center of the sofa, but I think it is too small in comparison to the larger square pillows you have on there now.

While I love lots of pillows, I'm not sure how convenient they are when you have too many. I saw your inspirational photo and really like it, but I don't think having that many pillows is practical in terms of sitting.

How many are you thinking about?

The bench is going to look great as an ottoman/cocktail table btw!

Ramona thanked User
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

good point Karen. that tiny pillow was one of a kind and I love it. So a lumbar pillow in solid purple behind it might make it look right? I am going to start measuring for two large pillows in the cream/purple Ikat and the chair cushions. Then I can switch these all out in other areas of the home.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    7 years ago

Ramona, I like the sofa because they do such a great job. I thought you were doing a dressmaker skirt? Maybe you changed your mind or I just imagined that was your thinking?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

well this is what they call a dressmakers skirt

I can't remember the actual names of the skirts they offered.

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Karen Paul, What do you think of doing the big pillows in the Ikat and making two lumbar pillows in plain purple with tiny Ikat one in front of one lumbar?

• Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Close up of fabric. It had a tiny pull. I wanted to document and ask about it before I trimmed. It is gone now.

• User
    7 years ago

Ramona, if you have the original pillows that the sofa came with, do you mind placing them on the sofa and taking a picture? I would love to see how they dressed it with pillows.

In the last photo you posted by Hickory sofa, it looks like you need lots of pillows across the back. It looks like they have 7 large pillows.

• Stefanie
    7 years ago

I like the fabric close up. I took a quick look back because I didn't know what was going on and like the Bernhardt bench a lot better than the other. I also like the idea of painting your DR furniture and that looked pretty fun. Have you done that or when are you planning to?

FWIW, I'm not into tufting much anymore so think it's better you got the flat back. Do you steam the sofa? Maybe not and I'm the only crazy one that takes the steamer to everything!

Ramona thanked Stefanie
  • Ramona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes, I need to steam that skirt!!!

Karen, that was not a picture of my sofa. They didn't show it with a skirt. I had to find another sofa on their site. Remember, I have a couple dozen bare legs in my d/l room and thought the sofa really needed to be skirted.

This is how it came minus the tufting. I don't have to add other pillows, but want to tie in the little gem if possible and think I need at least one lumbar behind it to tie it in.

The color was blue grey in person and was nice, but not as nice as the more lavender color.

I think I need to make the blue/purple/white ikat into replacement pillows. I.'ve got fabric on hold.

15x15 violet ikat pillow cover cushion silk cotton ikat by SilkWay · More Info

The original refinishing guy seems not to be available, so I have to search for another. Been busy this summer breaking bones and now have a yuge backlog and lots of physical therapy to do. Start teaching Aug 31st. too soon

• User
    7 years ago

Ramona,

I love your fabric choices for pillows-the violet ikat is beautiful and I do like that you skirted the sofa. It gives it a softer look :-) I still need to go back and catch up on reading more comments and hope to come across some more photos of all the legs in your room. Lol

I like the idea of doing a solid lumber in that deep purple behind your "little gem."

Ramona thanked User
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    7 years ago

Hi Ramona - It sounds like a good direction Ramona. Doing great! It will be beautiful!