Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cn2012

Has anyone built the Mitch Ginn Southern Living Stone Creek

Christine Norton
8 years ago

Hello...

We are interested in starting to build Southern Living Stone Creek the fall. I have seen a few pictures, but not many. Has anyone built this plan?

Comments (1.3K)

• M Childress
    3 years ago

@Boxerlover Can you give me info on the type of brick or material used for your porch flooring? I love that!

• M Childress
    3 years ago

We are beginning out build in October, FINALLY! We are so happy the time is here....we initially thought we wanted stone accents and all hardie board, but just recently decided to go with brick and only hardie up top on dormers, etc. Those of you who went with brick, could you post your pictures or give me the names of the brick you used so I can look them up? There are so many colors, we are having a hard time deciding! Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing them!

• Boxerlover
    3 years ago

So happy to see that this thread is still going. FYI, we went with Pine Hall brick - Millstone (oversized) and used coordinating pavers on the front porch floor in a herringbone pattern. We used gray mortar with white sand. Our stone is Stone Craft - Tennessee Ledgestone.. Hope this is helpful.

• Boxerlover
    3 years ago

Brick and stone

• Ashley Mares
    3 years ago

Officially signed the contract to build!! I absolutely love this thread and seeing how everyone makes this their home. The pictures are soo helpful!
    -outside color (planned for hardie and brick) trying to decide between white, grays or blue would love to see your outside pics
    -Planning three car garage with a side entrance, who kept the side front door?
    -Master bath changes, pretty sure we will not do the tub. How did you reconfigure the bathroom?
    -back of the house out extra 2 ft and laundry back wall even instead of little cut in for HVAC
    What other modifications did you do?

• M Childress
    3 years ago

@Boxerlover thank you! Your house is gorgeous! I love getting ideas from here-it’s been a great thread that’s for sure

• jccoulter
    3 years ago

We bought our Shook Hill / Stone Creek house two years ago but we did not build it. We love it. It might give you some of you some ideas as a few things were changed from the original plan. Here is a link to the zillow listing from the previous owners. We have changed it up quite a bit on the inside since we bought it but its still representative.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/27290-Leeta-Ln-Athens-AL-35613/128474881_zpid/

• Jenny Richards
    3 years ago

@kristihowellrdh . Not sure if you’re still connected to this thread—We are about to start framing and have opted to extend our porch out very much like yours. Do you mind to post completed pictures of your layout? I would love to see the finished project!

• Stacie Leggo
    3 years ago

Brooke Hudson sorry I'm just now noticing your comment. But yes, you'll have a bunch of caulking around the windows, doors, trim, etc. If you go with the Hardie, I would make sure your installer/painter knows what they are doing when it comes to caulking and does it right. That's an area I would not go with the cheapest price because I've learned "you get what you pay for" holds up pretty true in that area. I wouldn't say that it's continual upkeep, but I definitely don't think it's maintenance free like brick/mortar is. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of our house and its the exact look I was going for, but going back I either would of A) just went with white painted brick and some Hardie accents or B) used a different painter that I knew was more experienced dealing with Hardie and all of the caulking.

• M Childress
    3 years ago

@Boxerlover Another question...could you tell me the name of your door and/or where you purchased it?

• Boxerlover
    3 years ago

Our front door came from DSA in Raleigh, NC (919-781-3200) dsadoors.com. It's a Mahagony, Tiffany TDL 6 light arch top. Hope this is helpful.

• Ashley Mares
    3 years ago

Covered patio...has anyone done an addition off the back of the house? Would love to see pictures!

• Jenny Richards
    3 years ago

Framing is finished for us, waiting FOREVER and a day for our windows to come in. We decided to spring for the black windows which evidently take twice as long to get. But, Still so excited to see it coming together finally!

• Heather Ledford
    3 years ago

We are about to move into our home!! We are so excited!!! Just a few more things left to do! But wanted to share a photo of the outside! :) Just need to stain on the posts and unwrapping of our door! 😍😍😍

• laurenhardee31
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Has anyone modified the plan to be around 2300 sq feet? if so I would love to take a look at your plans. laurenhardee31@gmail.com

• M Childress
    3 years ago

Our framing is almost finished and we are so excited to see the house come to life! Can anyone tell me if they have a wood ceiling anywhere like shiplap or tongue and groove and can tell me opinions on that for kitchen/dining/family room area? Also, our built ins are only going to be a little over 3 feet on each side of fireplace, we have a modified version....can anyone show me a pic of some built ins that are about that size so I can see how it looks in real time? Thanks so much, I always love looking at the house ideas on this thread!

• M Childress
    3 years ago

@amyizzy I know you may have not been on this in quite some time, but Could you tell me what kind of under cabinet lights you have in your kitchen?

• M Childress
    3 years ago

@Cori Nix Is your hardie board on the outside color cobblestone?

• Ashley Mares
    3 years ago

Help! Second guessing our exterior color! Anyone have a grey hardie?

• Laura Gross
    3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of what they did in the backyard, patio or deck??

• Stacie Leggo
    3 years ago

@laura gross we put in a pool this past summer. Not sure if that’s something you’d be interested in. But I’ll attach some pictures of our 3D rendering design too from our contractor to see how a patio would tie in.

• Dawn Y
    3 years ago

I see lots of Hardie board being used. Not to long ago they were sued from massive failure of the product here in Wisconsin. Hope they fixed the issue. We went with LP instead which still needed caulk. All has held up maintenance free so far.

• Matthew Patrick
    3 years ago

Thank you for sharing all of these Jenni!!! You said the only changes you made to plan was extending the back porch 1.5 ft? I would love to see more pictures of your home. We are getting ready to break ground in a few weeks!!

• Jenny Richards
    2 years ago

By far my favorite alteration of this plan-we added three feet to the back of the house which enabled us to create a hidden pantry. It was a fairly easy change with great result. Highly recommend with this plan!

• jcwright34
    2 years ago

@Ashley Mares: we use to live in Carolina Colours and just went back to visit old friends and drove by our house. We saw yours and loved the color you chose. We actually built the first (and at the time only), Stone Creek plan (it’s on Ivy Court in Celadon). We also loved your three car garage. Excellent choices! We wished we had bumped out the back by 6 feet because the living room was a hard configuration for seating but otherwise we loved the floor plan.

• Ashley Mares
    2 years ago

@jcwright34: We looked at your house, just hadn’t sold our old one in time but we LOVED what you did! Lol clearly! We did make a few changes to the original plans including bumping out the back a few feet. The 3 car garage and how it fit on the lot made for some other changes like a pantry where the second door was and dry bar in the old pantry spot! Overall we are very excited....hopefully only a month to go!!

• jcwright34
    2 years ago

@ashley mares, we love the color. Your home looks so bright and cheery. I think we went too dark on the outside. But lesson learned. We kept the floor plans and one day when we are more certain about staying put and not moving around a lot, we’ll probably build it again (but with modifications). What is your outside color called?

• Ashley Mares
    2 years ago

It’s hardie pre-finished Pearl grey!

• reedre
    2 years ago

Ashley, could you please let me know the color of your roof shingles? We are building this same plan in NC coastal area and I’m rethinking our choice of Georgetown gray shingle color. I like the darker shingles. Thank you.

• Ashley Mares
    2 years ago

@reeder pretty sure it was called morie black

• reedre
    2 years ago

Thank you. Your house is beautiful!

• jcwright34
    2 years ago

Any one ever build the stone creek with an elevator? Would be curious to see where in the house. Also a bigger pantry.

• reedre
    2 years ago

Could someone post some pictures on how you arranged your living room? We did not increase square footage in this area and I’m afraid my current furniture may present a problem. The room seems narrow. We still have about a month to go before we move in. Getting there!!
    Thank you.

• amyizzy
    2 years ago

@reedre We did not modify the living room and I don't find it to be too narrow! I did select the chairs with a smaller footprint to save room. If I did this room over again I would choose a sectional to go across the window wall and where the couch is currently.

• reedre
    2 years ago

Thank you amyizzy . Your room is very pretty. Looks like plenty of room. All I will have is a couch and two chairs also.

• kinseyvosler
    2 years ago

Amy Izzy can you share with us about the changes you made to the kitchen?

• shookhill
    2 years ago

Could someone tell me what size windows and header heights you used for the 9 foot ceilings? It looks to be 8 feet. And did you use standard 6'8'" interior doors?

• reedre
    2 years ago

Wanted to add some pics of almost completed Stone Creek.. (still need our hand rail on front porch)….we love love this home. In a waterway boating community and close to the beach ❤️. The home turned out beautiful and we will have plenty of room for family and friends. Let summer fun begin!

• reedre
    2 years ago

Pics

• reedre
    2 years ago

Pics

• reedre
    2 years ago

Glad we added the windows to the right wall of breakfast nook. Really let’s in so much light!

• reedre
    2 years ago

😁

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Very pretty home!

We built the similar plan, Elberton Way (with some heavy modifying) by Mitch Ginn.

• Lauren Walls
    2 years ago

@reedre Where did you put your air return?

• reedre
    2 years ago

Hallway by guest bathroom.

• Lauren Walls
    2 years ago

@reedre Sorry for another question 😝 but do you mind sharing a closer picture of the front of your house. I am trying to decide between a double front door or a single door with side lights. Are you happy with your front door? I think I want to go with one that’s similar.

• Natalie Brockway
    11 months ago

Has anyone bumped the back wall out to “square up” the living/kitchen open concept? In other words, no back porch nook?

• David Eslinger
    11 months ago

We moved into our modified Elberton Way in early Jan23. As you can see from pics we enclosed the normally outdoor fireplace for our study and added a second dormer above the study. Total livable area is ~3500-ft2. We love it!

• Scott G
    7 months ago

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get this house plan, or anyone interested in selling their plan? Of course we would get a local architect to modify, thanks in advance.