Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernstr

jfernstr
12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Hello! We are currently in the process of updating the exterior of our home. We are getting new windows, new landscaping, and just installed a new arch-style cedar fence in the back yard. The problem is we have no idea how to update the actual HOUSE. Do we paint it? Do we just get new garage and front doors, maybe some new shutters? The interior of our home is a transitional style and we don't know how to update the exterior to match. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
jfernstr · More Info

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Bud Dietrich, AIA
    12 years ago
    Right now the house tells people to "stay away." The tall shrub to the right is a sentry and the low lying ones near the stoop are the walls. Then there's the gray, especially the large gray area of the garage door.

The fix is easy though. Extend the front stoop area out so that you can have a bench and some potted plants there and, of course, get rid of the sentry shrub. What color are the new window frames? You'll probably want to repaint all the trim to match this color. Hopefully a color that blends with the brick. And then a new front door. Something that's wood and inviting. If possible, repaint the existing garage door to blend with the brick and trim. What it shouldn't do is jump out but blend in - sort of disappear so that all the attention is focused on the front door / stoop area.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    Folks area often asking of they should paint their brick houses - and I always say "No"...
    Brick is practically maintenance free - until you paint it.

As far as everything else, if you paint the doors and trimwork, that means your gutters will have to be replaced - They're metal and they also can't be painted, so if you go painting everything else, your gutters will stand out like a sore thumb.

I'd change your outdoor lighting to some pieces which are larger, and change your front doors to solid wood units in natural wood along w/ coordinating garage doors - but get rid of the shutters completely, redo your landscaping and leave the trim color of your house alone (which BTW, ties in very nicely w/ the groutlines of your exterior)
  • Becky Harris
    12 years ago
    Wow, I think your house is very cute. I think just some new exterior lanterns (more updated and as bepsf suggested, larger), new front doors, and new house numbers would go a really long way for starters. Then I'm with bud on finding some more welcoming landscaping (unless you don't want to welcome. In my neighborhood, crackheads are always knocking on my door and asking me for bus money, so maybe you can send your "go away" shrubs down to me...)

Can't wait to see what you do! Please keep us up to date. Oh and you may have fun checking out The Brick House blog if you haven't already. She's a lot of fun to follow.
  • julio78
    12 years ago
  • bhenesey
    12 years ago
    Lot's of potential here! Consider adding Prairie inspired windows/front door/garage door/lighting and natural landscaping; or go sleek, mid-century modern. Good luck.
  • amaninsf
    12 years ago
    I really like the fundamentals of your home. My preference would be to NOT paint the brick, especially since you have cute brick. You do need new landscaping and windows. We had a house very similar to yours in TX (same brick) and went contemporary. Our paint trim was almost the same color as the brick (ivory). If you wanted to go modern, I'd recommend that paint/brick color combo. It looked great on our home. Also, you could use a new garage door and a new front door. Otherwise, you have a lot to work with. Love it!
  • PRO
    LaRoche Enterprises, LLC
    12 years ago
    Lots of great ideas here already. I guess the one major factor would be budget. I always think of my clients money as mine as far as spending only what you need to achieve a desired result so, with that said I think your house has a huge start on being great! I love the current style with only a few exceptions. Basically leave the brick alone, change out your front doors to a style that suits your taste (personally I would like to see a full frosted lite with the remainder of the door painted with a pop of color) and swap out the light fixtures too.
    I think it would be a great place to start without spending a ton and then go from there.
    As far as landscape, that’s tough, lots of mature growth there that took awhile to achieve. maybe just remove the two rectangular shrubs flanking the front porch. That would be the second and third shrub from the left in the picture. Then replace them with some container plants with some color.

I know I repeated some of what was previously suggested just supporting their suggestions.
    Have fun with whatever you decide.
  • Sarah Powell
    12 years ago
    Wow I feel I may be alone on this one. I definitely recommend painting the brick. It will look stunning. Have done this and have seen the gorgeous lines from the brick painted. Choose a color tone that will complement the trim having a smooth transition. I agree with removing the shutters. Look into Prairie style homes you will see many homes that have their trim/siding a darker tone. An extended open entry(similar to a pergola) would be gorgeous with a modern feel. Large zinc pots with high grass to flank adds drama. Remember, less is more with the landscape. Large (2-3 inch) dark grey river rocks along entry and in front of house. Save money on your landscape and do gorgeous grasses. Hope this helps. Have fun with your project.
  • geo55
    12 years ago
    Definitely paint the brick! And build a portico extension at the front door if you can afford it.
  • maitlandmommy
    12 years ago
    You have cute brick, and that poster above was right, if you paint it you will be in maintenance heck. Leave it, and focus on new garage doors, lighter trim and a pop of color for the front doors. Your roof is grey, so you could really have some fun with color on those doors. Also - i'm seeing really modern, skinny house numbers and new landscaping. Depending on how bold you are - you could really make a statement with some giant modern house numbers on the brick behind that sentry bush - it does need to go. I love what you have to start with - it's a great house.
  • Laurie Mischel
    12 years ago
    Bud_dietrich is becoming my favorite commenter. I thought your house looked fine until I read his suggestions and he was sooooo right. Especially bringing the concrete porch out. Love that. Maybe do large gradual platforms down to the lawn. I liked another poster's idea of the frosted glass front door and I would do the same with the garage doors. All these would be moving your look to the transitional/contemporary vibe which the above house numbers would be perfect for. Want to see an after photo....Good luck!!
  • PRO
    InteriorsbyDesign
    12 years ago
    Your house has great bones. I actually really like your brick color, and it has an interesting, unusual pattern. I personally wouldn't paint it. I also like the dark window trim and garage color. I would stick with a nice dark charcoal on the trim, garage and windows. It gives a nice, contemporary feel.
    Some suggestions would be to add modern accents such as contemporary house numbers in chrome, new clean-lined light fixtures; modern, sleek front door with interesting architectural glass side lights.
    Landscapding should be simple and uncluttered. I would remove the tall shrub, and maybe add a tall sculptural piece here. There are some great, contemporary water features made of stone, that look like a sculptured stone wall. Water softly trickles over the front. It look wonderful in a landscape setting. Or, you can add an art piece here- some form of sculpture.
    Shrubs to consider, depends on your climate. I would stay away from the boxy, trimmed look. You can add a crimson cutleaf Japanese maple for color to the far right corner. A grey and charcoal flagstone path, or rectangular stone slabs to the entry would add interest. I also like a landscape that has definite square and rectangular patterns, as this would compliment your home. Almost like a Zen feeling to the landscape- clean lines, modern and serene. Add stone and landscape rocks, grasses, zinc planters at the garage ends. Frame your path to the front with landscaping.
    So much you can do. Look here and on line for modern landscape ideas. Many landscapers and nurseries will do a free design for you if you purchase through
    them. Good luck!
  • Gail
    12 years ago
    I love your house. I am kind of a purest and don't like painting brick, stone or nice woods. I would remove the shutters and replace the front door for sure, since double doors are hard to seal a single door with side light/lights would be nice and you could add glass there to brighten the inside of the house. For me the big thing would be to remove all the front plantings and add color and texture with the grasses suggested and colorful plantings, I also like the suggestion of the cutleaf Japanese maple. In fact I like the suggestions by interiorbydesign. Changing the lighting fixtures would be good and your house numbers to a brush chrome, or if you want to move them onto the body of the house, black of course. I really like your color scheme and think pretty plantings would do alot to brighten it and make it welcoming, never have liked trimmed boxwood. Grin.
  • PRO
    All About You - Ann & Angelo Cane
    12 years ago
    Hi there. As someone who has been working with clients on affordable curb appeal projects for the past twelve years, I strongly feel you need to paint that brick. When brick is a beautiful color, I never say to paint it, but your brick is, unfortunately, not a good color at all. It is dating your house in a bad way.

You have gotten some good advice here. However, I realize it's hard when you don't have visual material to look at so I am attaching that for you.

Much of what the other respondents have indicated is accurate. You do need larger light fixtures, new front doors and windows (as I see you already plan to replace) and to remove the shutters. On any home's exterior, you need to have one consistent message whereas on the interior of your home, you can be eclectic. Your home looks like it leans toward mid-century so go with that. Here are some links to the style of windows, front doors and light fixtures you should be looking at:

Exterior Light Fixtures:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=262469-17771-45640WB&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1208151&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Exterior Doors:
    This is a picture of interior doors, but you can easily order this type of door for the exterior from your local door vendors. This style door is spot on with your style of house:
    http://www.buildersdooroutlet.com/Full_Lite_Slendervue_Door.htm

If you get new garage doors, again, stay with the clean lines. The style in this picture, while on a different style home than yours, would also work extremely well with your mid-century look.

http://www.garagewownow.com/images/doorstyles/carriage/medium/carriage_13-med.jpg

This is the window style I recommend and see the same was recommended by others. It is the "prairie style" Here are some photos of this style:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0501511729240.html

Your house has clean lines so you need to repeat that on everything you do. Go with it,
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The rest of my reply....
    Go with it, as they say. With the windows, front door style and light fixture style I recommended, you will get the consistency of the clean lines and that unified message that an exterior needs. It's the cover of your book and the inside of your home contains the chapters. With that said, this look will transition well into your transitional interior.

Here are two great paint color options for your exterior:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?siteSection=&Ntt=portobello
    or
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?siteSection=&Ntt=hardware

With either of these colors, I recommend painting the front doors black or having them stained in an Espresso finish.

Based on the color of your windows, repeat that same color on all of your trim. If you are doing white windows, use Sherwin Williams White Flour 7102 on your trim. If you are doing off white, use a matching off white trim, etc.

I see some folks have indicated that painted brick means high maintenance. Not true. Living in the state of Florida where there are tons of ranch style homes like yours that also once sported an unattractive brick color, they have been painted and it wears extremely well and will update your home tremendously. Even in our climate where the sun beats down on a paint job, those with painted brick are able to go ten years or more before they need to repaint. In a climate that doesn't take the beating from the sun that we do, you may be able to go even longer.

After your home is wearing its new "outfit", then the landscape can follow suit. Think clean and green with pops of red. You can flank your front door with boxy planters (again, straight lines) in black, oil rubbed bronze, or galvanized steel to continue on with the clean lines of mid-century modern style.

Down the road when you can throw some more money on your exterior, think about brick pavers on your driveway or do a modern, polished cement look with a charcoal or chocolate tint to
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    and the rest....

chocolate tint to give you a richer look than standard cement. What an improvement! In addition to your path from the driveway to the front door, I would add a path from the front door to the street to really put emphasis on your entrance which will be quite striking with the recommendations made. You won't believe it!

Finally, the house numbers maitlandmommy attached with her response to your email are perfect! Here is a great mail box to follow that up with:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1161200&categoryId=search

The color you choose to paint the exterior will decide what color finish you should choose for the mailbox.

At the very least, this should give you solid visual clues as to what you should be looking for.

I do virtual consulting for clients outside of my service area as part of my business offering. You are the lucky receiver of my first and only freebie. :-) I just need to put that our there before I get inundated with fellow Houzzies wanting the same, as I won't be able to accommodate. This is how I pay the bills and as you all know, we all need to make a living.

Good luck with your project. It will be a major transformation and one that your can be proud of.

• Bette L
    12 years ago
    I love your home. I would begin simply. Front door and garage door definitely.
    Shrubs need to go. Then. I would re assess. The I love brick. I had really ugly brick that needed pointing. I had them wipe that stuff over all of the brick and then scrub lightly the brick part. It was a grey color.
    Anyway for inspiration I would think 50-60's and Hawaiian. (responding to those deep eaves.) Don't extend as another suggested. It is this style.
  • Bette L
    12 years ago
    Sorry, My suggestion: Don't extend the front door. This isn't this style of architecture. As I stated. Research landscaping for the 50-60's Hawaiian flavor. Fronds, ferns, some perineal color. I honestly would leave the windows and shutter and color, until this other stuff is done. You might be surprised.
  • PRO
    Nancy Francis Design
    12 years ago
    I agree with most of what the very first response says. I would create a court yard in front of your front door with bushes and flowers so you have a private area to sit a read and a great entrance for guests. It would make the front a lot more interesting. Bring it out to the end of the grey car. Use lots of evergreen boxwoods and hollies with perennial flowers. Add pieces of stone around your sidewalk to spread it out but still using the present walk. I agree with painting the garage door the same color as the house and either paint the front door one color that pops and change the glass or get a new glass door with beveled panes to bring the outdoors in and make the interior seem bigger. Cut the yews down low to short stubs, say 12 inches, and they will grow back saving you money in that area. You can transplant some of your present shrubs to new locations and I think I like the tall evergreen that the first person wanted out but you can use that as part of your court yard. If you can afford to paint the brick that might be a good idea. I don't mind the brick in the picture but it could be a different situation up close and in person.
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    12 years ago
    Painted brick looks cheap, like you are trying to hide something. Since yours is a nice, neutral color that will support virtually any other shades you want to put around it, I'd leave it alone. Lots of good advice above, especially maitlandmommy and boop15 - consider changes to give it a mid-mod or Hawaiian retro flair, like colored doors with a big silver C pull, more subtle trim color, and maybe some tropical plants. Tres chic for a small investment.
  • Sharon Barnard
    12 years ago
    The house has a nice horizontal line. How about painting the brick a warm taupey-grey and replacing with a fabulous entry door. Kudos to updating the landscaping also.
  • Sharon Barnard
    12 years ago
    As a designer, I have painted brick exteriors many times..will last for years if using the right products. It will definitely give the home more definition and unify all elements. Could also stucco the exterior if $ is no object and the climate will permit..this will allow many more style options.
  • greenwichstreetdesign
    12 years ago
    paint it a whitewashed color so it's doesn't become too opaque looking- which causes it to look cheap- it is very pretty if done properly- consult a good painter
    change the roof, too solid, black and heavy, put something with some architectural texture on it, there are really great roofing tile options out there
    change and lower the light fixtures, don't go cheap
    change front door and put something very simple and modern in feel- maybe all glass to permit more light into the house and have it sandblasted for privacy
    stay away from ornamentation, keep it simple
    new shutters (wider) and more architectural, all wood
    new garage door, modern, simple and clean lines, windows are a nice way to break up the expanse
    paint door, shutters and garage door in a slightly darker color, contrasting the lighter color of the whitewashed brick
    consult a landscape architect for the front yard -good luck!
  • PRO
    Barnett Design Studio
    12 years ago
    make it modern============go get "Atomic Ranch" magazine and have some fun.
  • memorylane1
    12 years ago
    Bigger light fixtures are a must! I love the brick pattern it looks like it could be modern. Maybe find some lights to complement that. I would for sure get a wood or wood looking front door and garage doors and update the landscaping with modern looking bushes like ornamental trees, (maybe spiral) and add some grasses. Also, maybe a couple of pots on each side of the door. Over all, I like the character of the house and I don't think much needs changed.
  • shead
    12 years ago
    I think if you use high quality exterior paint, you shouldn't have a maintenance issue for SEVERAL years. In my opinion, the visual benefits of painting far outweigh the cons of painting.
  • milliejane
    12 years ago
    new front door is a must
  • feeny
    12 years ago
    Wow, I've never seen so much disagreement about painting brick. Usually I'm the one saying paint (despite the increased maintenance) because there are so many modern brick colors and patterns I find ugly, and painted brick can be such an improvement. But I happen to think your neutral, pale brick is lovely. And I like the charcoal trim, though not that big expanse on the garage door--I agree it should disappear more. Maybe a new garage door with opaque glass rectangular panels? Definitely modernize the front door and soften the landscaping, but otherwise I find this a very attractive house.
  • Josh Whetstone
    11 years ago
    Seriously, keep that brick! It will not benefit from paint. It almost looks like cut limestone.
  • anag520
    10 years ago
    I really hope you did not paint that brick unless your going for a country look. The home looks very contemporary all except the doors, I'd take the molding off if possible if not paint a solid color.
  • jujume
    10 years ago
    Your brick is completely neutral and has an interesting contemporary style. I would NOT paint it as that would add permanent upkeep to your house with no added value. I would replace the doors and the light fixtures. Contemporary doors or traditional doors painted gloss black would be very attractive. For additional $$$ you could have a single door either painted or stained, and either solid or with leaded glass along with sidelights (long slim windows with leaded glass) on either side of the door. Stainless or aluminum light fixtures in a plain or contemporary style. Regarding the garage door, the least expensive fix is simply to paint it a very light grayish shade to match the brick if possible. The shutters might be painted gloss black as well, or remove them completely for a more contemporary look. Good luck, and have fun!!!
  • Susan Jacobs
    10 years ago
    What did you end up doing with the exterior of your house? It's been a while! I painted my exterior over the summer, and... YES, I painted some of the brick. It turned out beautifully. I can't speak to whether the upkeep is a problem, but I have been told by many painters that the latest paints for masonry are very durable. I guess we'll see, but in the meantime, I am thrilled with the result and It made a huge difference.
  • Susan Jacobs
    10 years ago
    here's a before and after
  • lizziebethtx
    9 years ago
    WOW. What a difference, Susan. I love the painted brick. I've had a painted brick house for 30 years and I've never had any upkeep. I don't have a clue what everyone is referring to. The change to your home is lovely. I wish the original poster would come back and show what they did. I check back on this post occasionally hoping for results.