Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharkins

Is the stripe rug a do or don't for the space?

pharkins
11 years ago
Working on decorating my sitting room. Found the attached striped rug with great colors. The rug is 5x8. Is it ok not to have feet of furniture on the rug? Do the stripes make space seem wider or work against the space? An 8x10 rug will not fit in the space. Searching for a round table or ottoman for the space no larger than 30" in diameter. Any suggestions?

Comments (160)

• PRO
    LOPFURNITURE
    11 years ago
    You should definitely keep the rug. It makes the room less pretentious; like it is a room where you can relax ...Which is what we in Scandinavia would call cozy :)
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    11 years ago
    While i normally agree with the thoughts of Tres McKinney in regards to painting all the walls the same color as I dislike accent walls. i usually say if you are not brave enought to paint the whole room that color then dont just paint one wall. In this room, the accent color wall really works! just needs art and or mirror on walls. Do wish that rug were larger.
  • flgrandma
    11 years ago
    Please send a photo of the room after you decide on the rug and table. I really like this room and think the only thing missing is a strip of police tape to keep out kids and men. This has to be a women only room.
  • pharkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you for all of your fabulous comments! I appreciate the time you took to share your ideas. The sitting room is 9'9.5" x 10'. Ceiling is 10' with crown & baseboard molding, wall to wall 18" tile laid on the diagonal and light beige walls. There are four pot lights in the space and electrical in the middle to add a light fixture. I will be adding a flush mount light and lighting to the top row of the bookcase.

The bookcase wall needed the Spectra Blue #2049-50 by Benjamin Moore to make it pop. The off white bookcase on the beige wall was lost and blah. I do have artwork for the other two walls. Behind the wall of the settee is a large eat in kitchen that opens to the living room. The back wall of my condo is predominately glass. Windows in the kitchen and three pain sliding glass door in the living room.

My design aesthetic is a mixture of coastal, shabby chic and eclectic. I select neutral furniture and add color with accessories, pillows, art and paint.

I loved the colors of the striped rug but it was too small for the space. I did turn it and try it on the diagonal but neither option worked. As a result, I returned the rug yesterday. I broke a cardinal rule and purchased the two blue chairs since they were and incredible deal. Lesson learned: buy what you love and stick to the rules that work well for you. The blue chairs were also too small for the space and they also were returned.

I agree that the bookcase does need some editing. I am having fun playing and trying some of your suggestions. The sitting room now looks like an accessory bomb hit it.

Attached are some pics of the space with the rug turned the other direction, no rug and the pillows I had made for the settee.

Thanks again!
  • flgrandma
    11 years ago
    Love your pillows.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    I love that you have been brave with that luscious turquoise color. The new pillows on the settee are great. If the striped rug is available in a larger size I think it could work turned as you show it in the most recent photo which makes the room look wider. The two tones of blue and the warm accent of gold stripes warms the color palette and ties the furniture together. You are doing a great job. It will all come together with a few small tweaks.
  • laursiedoone
    11 years ago
    I LOVE this room. It's gorgeous. I think it's stylish and pretty but homely, welcoming and personal too. I think the rug looks great, ties in so well with the scheme and makes the room a little more casual. Any runway effect will dissapear with a lovely plump round ottoman. I'd love to see what else you've done in your house!
  • Annette
    11 years ago
    I LOVE this room too! I would go with something big and bold like the "Amy Butler Hand-Tufted Wool Rug-Coventry" instead of the stripes, or the Flora Blue that LB Interiors posted. I think it needs to be big enough to leave only a 12" border of floor showing evenly. Stunning room!
  • debsio
    11 years ago
    I was wondering if you could center angle love seat in left back corner with rug and place chairs across from love seat for a conversation area. The bookshelf might look good staying on same wall only moved to the right or placed where chairs were
  • ktiquet
    11 years ago
    Where Dido youreturn those chairs I want togobuy them they would be perfect. For my space you have beautiful taste. Love the new pillows
  • pharkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Chairs and settee are from Pier One. You can find the Fionn Chair - Blue Velvet at http://www.pier1.com/Fionn-Chair---Blue-Velvet/2526832,default,pd.html.
  • Rosemarie
    11 years ago
    You had what you liked!! Trust your own instincts! You unknowingly mirrored the shape of the bookcase with the rug--a perfect design trick for a small room that came to you naturally and made the room so inviting!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Just saw the new pillows. Love them, love that you used a pattern.

If you prefer a
    aqua print - paint the legs white
    Gerber Square Ottoman, Surf · More Info

casual beachy style
    Free Trade Pouf · More Info

dressed up style - paint the legs white
    Bach Admiral Round Mohair Ottoman · More Info

soft fabric with storage - paint the legs white
    Alanna Storage Ottoman · More Info
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    OK! Now the furniture legs are on the rug - perfect. It accents the room beautifully, as stated by Rosemarie (just a couple comments above this). Move your table (with lamp) inward, enough that if you were sitting on the couch, you could EASILY set a tea-cup on the end table w/o twisting your arm or body. Likewise, please move your two chairs off the wall about 6 inches. Now, final choice is an ottoman so it could be utilized as extra seating if needed. What a difference changing direction of the rug! You have excellent taste, so now all you need to do is choose an ottoman! Congrats!
  • mzlove
    11 years ago
    I'm confused! I loved the original space except for a few minor details. It's a smaller, cozy space - to me the size of the chairs seem fine! I would have kept them and please don't do a major redo as some have suggested. Your choice of wall paint is beautiful also.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    @ Linda, I wasn't suggesting to paint the sofa legs. It would be primarily for a softer contrast, only the ottoman legs that I posted. I also mentioned in an earlier post to move the tables away from the wall and you added for setting a tea cup. Thanks, that adds another benefit for moving the tables.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    Another reason for moving the chairs off the wall is if someone sits down and the chair happens to move backwards and/or head will hit the wall when sitting down. It will showcase the chairs/couch much better too. Common mistake is to have furniture almost touch the wall.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Yes, bring chairs forward. The rug works nice. What are you going to do for your coffee table?
  • nononanna
    11 years ago
    Maybe pull the orange/rust color of the one stripe with one accent piece?
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Just to be different, I really like the room without a rug at all, but then I do like things to be clean and uncluttered. Didn't realise your floor was tile, in which case, yes you do need a rug to cosy the room up. Personally I would go for a flokati to keep it simple, especially with your new cushions - like them very much.

Have you thought about replacement chairs? Loved the colour you had and wondering about a tub chair to echo the shape of your settee, not take up more space in the room and keep the blue. Do have to be careful selecting tub chairs, some of them can be very uncomfortable.
  • abbshel
    11 years ago
    I think the direction of the rug looks so much better now and I like your room overall!
  • Janie
    11 years ago
    How about a Burlap Pouf like this one on Etsy
  • Janie
    11 years ago
    Or this color..
  • mzlove
    11 years ago
    I like the round woven one.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Oh Linda Anthony, I'm so sorry about the above comment. I misinterpreted what you stated. I apologize!
  • Elena
    11 years ago
  • saltcitybabe
    11 years ago
    me too on the round woven coffee table. Since I am alone on the big sheepskin rug (for warmth and texture) How about some throws the color of the settee for the chairs. Again, books and baskets in the bookcase. One thing for sure, you have had the world weigh in on your room.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    no problem - I knew it was an honest mistake LB :)
  • Tiffany
    11 years ago
    Well, I guess I got here a bit too late for the furniture and rug in this picture to be relevant. Regardless, I think this space would look absolutely amazing with beadboard. I played with a really basic photo editor to give you an idea, thus the funky colors. If you're not up for the commitment, you could always try a beadboard patterned vinyl stick on. I've seen them available all over the internet.

I actually work at a Pier 1, so your design aesthetic is right up my alley. I think this wall decor piece from Pier 1 could look good with your space. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Parkins,
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS ROOM! The Original Room. And especially the orignal rug placement. Super pro! I was impressed by the dynamic composition of the design. The rectangular bookcase mirrored by the matching shape rectangular rug. The CARPET as originally placed was PERFECTION! It was in fact the rug that pulled me into this conversation. I can't believe this owner is not a pro the way the carpet was just muted enough to ground the spectacular wall color. I love the rug on top of carpet, it really works here. Just add pictures, and a glass coffee table or an ottoman.

My feeling, design is like great art, and I do not mean to offend, and apologize if I do, but I do not tie myself to rules of thumb. (If all of design were rules, who would need designers?)

This one works, it's out of the box! Putting the rug the other way, is not dynamic, it is just an ordinary answer in my mind.
  • ka1tlyn
    11 years ago
    I love it
  • debsio
    11 years ago
    I like this room and I would keep rug. I only made the suggestion to caddy corner love seat in left corner with rug in front of it because I thought you were unsure of the rug size and stripes. I thought a diagonal grouping of the furniture might give a different perspective. Good job. I can't believe you received so many comments. I think it is because everyone liked it so much they wanted to claim it as their own. Bookcase is scraped beautifully. I also think it could provide a beautiful backdrop to love seat if you played with it. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your arrangement. Your pieces are a good scale for the room and you have many options if you get tired of your arrangement. Wonderful choices!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Everything is possible in design and it is fun to hear other points of view.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It is interesting what an important part the lamp and lampshade play in this setting. Anchoring, from this end, and setting up, the palette. It is a perfect color reflection of the Bookcase on a smaller scale. Awesome!
  • Alison Jordan
    11 years ago
    The attached photo is reminded me of your room
  • emmz83
    11 years ago
    I say the rug is a total do! It looks like this room is quite narrow so having the stripes on the rug going horizontal will make the room feel wider. I love this room its so adorable!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Revisited this posting, and I was reading one poster's comment that there is an alter affect going on here. I love this room completely as it is, but if I were to add a tweak, I would put pictures on each of the facing walls.

Perhaps two long narrow horizontal pictures one above the other on each of the facing walls. Very simple, very narrow wood frame, with a natural white mat cut with a narrow I/4" or 5/16" step ( a second mat color under the white mat) which would be in your blue, the same or deeper. Then, go on art.com or Allposters.com, or look in your photographs and/or keepsakes. You literally can copy a series of small items like pen and ink shells or painted tea cups, or black and white intaglio prints, etc.

This is one idea, but something on each wall would, perhaps, ground the setting a little more. But, if you didn't do that, why mess with success?
  • alindalc
    11 years ago
    What about turning the rug at an angle and possibly removing one of the chairs, especially if adding an ottoman or table?
  • marnette
    11 years ago
    I love the blue accent chairs do you mind telling me where you purchased them?
  • bkrnana6
    11 years ago
    Love this room!! I would suggest a piece of art
    On the two empty facing walls and a floor lamp
    In right corner next to bookcase. Your rug is
    Wonderful!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    @marnette: I know the thread is long, but if you read it carefully you'll see your question has already been answered. She purchased the chairs and settee from Pier One.
  • Diane
    11 years ago
    Wow. Changing to direction of the stripes made such a positive difference! Some other patterns would work better than the stripes, but this looks really good if you want to wait on a new rug while you get other pieces for the room.
  • Michelle
    11 years ago
    I think a fluffy shag in a creamy hue would tie in better.
  • Penny Crawford
    11 years ago
    psbeachnp Love the rug but agree with putting the feet of the furniture on the rug. Also like the idea of clustering the blue glass/ shells, etc as was mentioned earlier in the bookcase. Add some art to the walls but not too dramatic to take away from the bookcase. Add an ottoman or foot stool and I would live to curl up with a good book.
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    how about a final, updated pic for the dozens of posters here?
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Have you thought about replacement chairs? Loved the colour you had and wondering about a tub chair to echo the shape of your settee, not take up more space in the room and keep the blue. Do have to be careful selecting tub chairs, some of them can be very uncomfortable.

• J J
    8 years ago
    can't wait to see end result! Fun
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Check dates before you respond to stuff. This is 2.5 years old.

• Diane Fleming
    8 years ago
    159 different opinions is quite overwhelming but so interesting at the same time. Yes I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I love this room and the colors and style are me for sure. I love that the rug carries the wall color down to the floor. Turn the rug so you eliminate the altar look everyone is talking about. Adding a glass coffee table with a driftwood type base keeps an organic feeling in the room. It does not break the flow. I am not wild about the candle stick between the two chairs. Almost need a lamp that mimics the size and color as the other lamp to bring balance to each side of the room. Good luck with your room. It looks beautiful