Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olgash2

LaPark rose pictures

Olga Shmatkova
5 years ago

Hello,

just want to share a pictures of LaPark rose which I bought this spring from Jackson & Perkins. It's a new introduction this year and it was bread by J&P. It's healthy (in fact didn't get BS after a hot dry spell followed by a week of non stop rain and high humidity). It's a two months old own root plant. This year we had a very unusual summer so a lot of my Kordes roses got BS but this one as you can see did not! Can't wait for the next summer to see it's full potential.

Olga

Comments (40)

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing! It's a lovely rose. Could you comment on the fragrance?

Ann

• Olga Shmatkova
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Ann! Not sure about the scent but will check this afternoon. But in my 6b zone I'm more concerned about decease resistance...

Olga

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Olga, your La Park is nicer looking than mine, though mine has also been very healthy and vigorous, the blooms don’t look quite as good. Does it last a long time for you?

Ann

My La Park has a very strange smell unlike any other rose(I am purposefully using smell as opposed to fragrance). It’s sort of mossy or like freshly cut grass.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks for the scent information BenT! I've experienced that same "fragrance" at times with roses I've owned. Maybe La Park will improve over time.

Ann

• Michael H 6b NY
    5 years ago

Olga, I'm in the same zone and was really captured this rose when I saw it.. all of my roses are covered in BS and i would love to add one to my yard that will keep its leaves!

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Thanks for posting. I've been eying this rose as a possible new addition. It's beautiful.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I find mine is very healthy too and I love it. I think I get about 3 maybe 4 days out of the blooms but even when they fade they look nice , unlike peach swirl who I seemed to always miss the nice stage .

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

That really is quite pretty isnt it

I love the color changes

5 years ago

Jen

Mine is the opposite...Peach Swirl seems to last for ever, stays a nice color and has a nice fruity smell...its smells like it looks. La Park blows super fast, smells, um, ‘unique’, I don’t really know what it looks like because it’s gone so fast.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Ben isn’t that something!! I’m glad you love your peach swirl since you made such an effort to get it ! Maybe I should have given it a chance but when the shovel comes out , look out lol

5 years ago

Wow Lily, those pics are gorgeous. Another enabler - great!!! ;)

• PRO
    Jackson & Perkins
    5 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your gorgeous photos of your 'La Park' roses!

The fragrance of this rose has been described by the breeder as a "strong, fruity" scent. it is truly unique in all aspects.

• PRO
    HANNA
    5 years ago

Hi Jackson & Perkin, I have some problem with your company. I was told by a post there is Jackson & Perkin representative here. As you can see in my post, https://www.houzz.com/discussions/bad-experience-with-jacksonandperkins-never-buy-again-dsvw-vd~5479688

My refund was approved but was denied by financial department. The customer rep manager said she could do nothing about this. Who else should I contact regarding this issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

• User
    5 years ago

I have two La Park standards. My experience has been great! They bloom non-stop. Mine have a strong fruity fragrance as described by J&P. The spring blooms were HUGE! The summer blooms smaller, but they never stop. If there is any down side, the summer blooms do shatter for me after a couple of days. But so far, La Park is a winner for me.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

Your rose is beautiful Olga. I hope she will behave for you.

• Olga Shmatkova
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Patty!

• Olga Shmatkova
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing you picture! You La Park colors much brighter and intensive than mine. I think that's because you're in a warmer climate zone. It is so beautiful!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

so many interesting color variations on this rose

Olga Shmatkova thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • Olga Zhdenovska
    5 years ago

I have the same in the garden

looks amazing

Olga Shmatkova thanked Olga Zhdenovska
  • hugogurll
    5 years ago

Dear J&P Rep,

You state the breeder describes the fragrance as 'strong fruity'. Who is the breeder?

Olga Shmatkova thanked hugogurll
    5 years ago

La Park’s color is getting more intense in fall

Olga Shmatkova thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

So Ben - what is your assessment of La Park now? That bloom looks gorgeous.

Olga Shmatkova thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Olga Shmatkova
    Original Author
    5 years ago

WOW! It is very rich color! Mine is resting now though I see couple of new buds but here in Massachusetts we're getting a lot of rain lately...

5 years ago

Hi Karen

La Park at least gets a reprieve from the shovel, I do really like her current blooms, despite the fact that they are fleeting. The plant has always been very healthy, but this year I also planted Soul Sister, Tahitian Sunset and Rosie the Riveter along with La Park , four roses in a similar color range, and overall those other three have been spectacular. Granada also has some of the same colors and is one of my very favorite roses. So La Park better keep up her game.

It seems which ever rose I think about shovel pruning suddenly makes a spectacular comeback. I had La Park, Belinda’s Dream, and Sedona on my shovel list, and all three are now too nice to toss! I ordered a bunch of roses for next spring and am running out of places to put them!

Olga Shmatkova thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • HU-347062557
    4 years ago

I purchased a la park rose from Jackson and Perkins as well but it doesn’t look like yours really. Im wondering if they sent me the wrong rose. this is its first year. I’m wondering if it changes from season to season? Let me know if any of yours have looked like mine.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I definitely think you have the correct rose, La Park is an apricot yellow rose with rather subtle pink highlights, but the color is highly variable and yours falls well within the range of how it looks.

I’m glad I kept mine. It’s very healthy and free blooming. Fragrance varies considerably. too, from faint and grassy, to strong and perfumey.

That said, mine in looking quite different recently:

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

When I saw this thread, I was going to ask how La Park compares to Crazy Love, Rosie the Riveter and others in this color range, but I can see that it varies quite a lot depending on climate and conditions. I like it in all it's many moods.

4 years ago

You’re right Flowers, all three roses vary is color, so you just have to see examples of each one and decide if you like it. I think this thread has a good variety of La Park variations. Rosie the Riveter is one of my favorites, unique colors, fabulous profuse plant, quality blooms. I like it better than La Park, though La Park can ocassionally be strongly fragrant, while Rosie stays slight to moderate scented.

Rosie the Riveter

4 years ago

Oh, my goodness, Ben! I should say she's a good bloomer! Thanks for posting your Rosie the Riveter. Is yours grafted? I have Crazy Love, own root, and it hasn't even grown a new leaf since going in the ground. It was planted at the same time as a few others that are already blooming. If yours is own root, i'm going to go pick one up today.

4 years ago

Hi Flowers

Pretty sure mine is Dr Huey, I bought it from the local nursery in a peat pot with a Weeks tag. Hopefully it is pretty hardy, the Buck rose Distant Drums is a parent. A few more pics showing some color variations of Rosie:

4 years ago

Ok, that did it, Ben, I'm sold. I'd forgotten about Distant Drums being in it's bloodline. I remember seeing a photo of Rosie where it was very apparent that DD was in there. I might go ahead and get the own root while I search for a grafted one at the nurseries in town. There's a chance it won't like my winters. Northland is trialing it in their gardens this year. Grafted is probably the safer way to go. That second photo looks like a florist bouquet of a baker's dozen, at least. Such a pretty combination of pinks and yellows. Thanks for the extra photos! I would still like to have La Park and a stronger Crazy Love.

• Kimberly zone 10 so cal
    4 years ago

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) I see you are growing your roses in containers, and they are BEYOND GORGEOUS! would you mind sharing your fertilizing routine?

4 years ago

Hi Kimberly

I give frequent light dosages of liquid fertilizer to my roses in pots. I like Mills Easy Feed, along with some seaweed. I’ll do alfalfa tea once or twice a year, too. I would also grow roses in as big a pot as possible, their roots are huge.

Here’s Heirloom and Soul Sister living in pots, enjoying frequent liquid meals:

• Kimberly zone 10 so cal
    4 years ago

BenT, thank you for sharing your practices. I’m definitely going to try what you are doing, Your roses look so amazing!

• Roselover (zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Hi! I am considering getting La Parke for my spring order of roses. Has anyone from zone 7a grown/is growing La Parke? if so, is it doing well? Also, is it cold resistant?

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    last year

I’m bumping up this thread because I’m curious too. Has anyone grown it in a low-humidity, high-heat environment? it looks wonderful …

How about thorns on LaPark?

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    last year

I planted La Park last spring and absolutley adored it all last year. So many wonderful, fragrant blooms! It was vigorous and healthy, and all of these great qualities made it a favorite of mine. However, it died back a lot this past winter and has struggled to come back from that all summer. It hasn’t grown over a foot tall and it’s had maybe 3-4 blooms all season? I don’t know if it will survive another winter here. I was pretty bummed to see this rose struggle all spring/summer but I’m learning that many floribundas have a hard time coming back from our winters.

La Park from last year:

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@LauraLG Z5b-NwPA

uch a beautiful rose!! I love those colors. I hope she can make it through the winter and will keep giving you those gorgeous blooms!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oh, I can see why you love it!!! What a bloom!!! :) It's too bad it's having troubles.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner