Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skhan1402

Living room decorating help

skhan1402
5 years ago

Here is the my current living room design. i don’t get natural light so I bought light colored furniture. I’m mainly concerned about the rug. Is it too busy or large for the space? Please give ideas to spruce up the space.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Gerard Puxhe
    5 years ago
    Hi,
    the rug should cover part of the sofas, now it's a bit small. The pattern is too much for that flashy floor

Best
  • Sarah
    5 years ago
    I recommend a much larger rug where your sofas sit entirely on them. Then get a couple more end tables- one between the sofas and the other on the bare end of the sofa facing the fireplace. All 3 end tables should have lamps (taller than the one you have now). Add an art lamp above the painting or sconces on either side.
  • skhan1402
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I agree, the rug is a mismatch. Should I get a differe color? Like blue to tie in the blue wall color? I’m also thinking of putting a bench on the opposite side (pic below)

. What color would you recommend? Navy blue or beige?

• housegal200
    5 years ago

You've done a good job with your room. If you're not happy with it, it may be because it's a little too monochromatic. If you're changing out the rug for a larger one, then incorporate a little bit of that dark red from your art and your floor into the rug. This isn't quite right but some grays and mahogany.

Serenity Area Rug, Rectangle, Brown-Cream, 3'6"x5'6" · More Info

--Consider all white/ivory or very pale gray curtains to lighten the space.

• threers
    5 years ago

Please consider a patterned fabric for your drapes and add color to your room, not blue or beige.

What is your favorite color? Use that. I don't understand your using dark or bland colors in a room that does not "get much light".

• stp4779
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I really like the pattern of your rug and I think it compliments your other elements well. However, it's much too small. As others have commented, it needs to be large enough that your couches at least partially sit on it. I also really love your accent wall of navy! Here's what I would do: punch up that accent wall by painting the fireplace mantel and bookcase the same navy. Put bright colored/metallic accents on the shelves. Move your curtain rods up 6-10" and get drapes that touch the floor. Maybe drapes that add a different texture to the room like velvet or linen? And add a larger coffee table – once you get a larger rug the existing coffee table will look like a small island in a large sea :) I see you have a metallic accent table – maybe a metallic coffee table?

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    The lighter walls look gray, and your sofas look beige... clashing tones. The rug is too pale against the vibrant floor. The dark blue wall is too dark and sucks the light out of the room. The dark blue drapes are harsh against the pale walls. The single lamp on the end table is too short and will not provide the light you need in the room.
    You said the room gets little natural light, so you must add lighting and light colors to fix that issue.
    I would suggest painting all the walls the same light color to keep the room light and airy. Keep the trim white...the fireplace is beautiful. Use a gently patterned fabric for the drapes and hang them higher on the wall. Bring in a larger rug (with some more color) to allow at least the front half of your seating pieces to be ON the rug....at least three feet longer and three feet wider than your current rug. Add a floor lamp and an additional taller table lamp.
  • skhan1402
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow Celerygirl. How did you do that? I’d love to try this out before I waste time buying things at the store and then returning coz it doesn’t look good at home. Thanks!

• daneejela
    5 years ago

While I love all your choices I feel like they don't really work best with cherry floors..I feel like those floors are requiring more warmer color scheme (beige, creams, yellow, reds..). Like in the pictures bellow.

If I were you I'd replace current drapes with drapes with warm undertone and paint the blue wall accordingly. And yes, rug in warmer (or neutral) undertone too..

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

• pat1250
    5 years ago
    Following
  • jpp221
    5 years ago
    The rig is way too small—enough comments on that so I won’t repeat. The fireplace/bookshelf wall us a challenge as it’s oddly asymmetrical, and the white trim on a dark wall only highlights that, making for almost disturbing busy-ness that is distracting. I’d tone down that wall colour. The cherry floors and new rug will be enough. A touch of colour on the salads and window coverings would be nice. Neutral is one thing but one can overdo it if not careful.
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

A round or square coffee table large enough to reach from any seat works well with an L shaped sofa configuration.

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    5 years ago

We'd actually try a larger rug, and since you have a blue accent wall, why not try incorporating blue into the room? Here are some of our designs to aid you with this dilemma:

• Nancy Walton
    5 years ago

Your draperies should be longer, at least halfway between the ceiling and the window casing. And I agree that some kind of pattern with multi colors to match whatever rug you get. Then use the colors in accent pillows.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    I would add some apple green in cushions, art, plants. A lovely room
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Perhaps
  • Brown Dog
    5 years ago
    I agree with most other posters. Rug is too small. I'd repaint your walls in a warm grey and in a darker or lighter tone so there is a bit of contrast between sofas and wall. I'd also remove the curtains and rods entirely, you already have blinds there for light control. I really like your dark fireplace wall but the white trim really highlights the awkward scale imbalance between fireplace and shelving. I would paint this wall the same colour as the other walls to minimize (normally I love a feature wall!). Your rectangular coffee table is too small and the wrong shape, go for a big square or round one. And that's the same with your side table, it should be bigger. Your sofas are large so the other furniture should match that scale. I'd love to see a bold rug to really punch up this space! Good luck!
  • Brown Dog
    5 years ago
    One more thing, if you do keep your curtains, raise the rods so they are half way between top of windows and ceiling and have longer curtains that go to the floor. Where your rods are now make your windows look squat.
  • skunst2017
    5 years ago
    I think your bookshelves should NOT have the white trim .!!!
    Then change the curtains to a white or cream ...and change the pillows ..on your sofa ..they clash with the rug ....your rug should be bigger but it's the small table , the curtains and the trim around the bookshelves that bother my eyes most ..if you get a glass top table ..and make those little changes ...you dill see an improvement ..., then look again to give your lovely space the finishing touches . Flowers on the table ..etc
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago
    I agree- needs bigger rug (learned that here!). Raise curtains for illusion of height. Nix accent wall color. Need a table between sofas with lighting
  • annied75
    5 years ago

I would purchase a larger jute rug and layer your current one over the jute (as shown in the photo). Then purchase some pillows and a throw to add more texture.

Traditional Living Room · More Info