Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkliveng

NC Home - Created by ARG

jkliveng
6 years ago

Introducing another home designed by ARG.

15 wooded hilly acres north of the Triad in NC (Zone 7b). No view of the property from the street.

2 adults + 1 toddler + 1 dog currently. More kids/animals planned.

The bubble diagram I gave to ARG:

Needs included storage storage
storage (pantry, basement, closets, mudroom, playroom). Between the 2 of us, we cook, grill, hunt,
play sports, sew, play video games, wood work, etc. Unfortunately our hobbies are bulky. Also wanted a nice outdoor space and
garden. The barn is already built
(32x50), but Doug included a face lift for it to match the home. We wanted a very simple footprint.

Inspiration photos:

The Sawyer Post and Beam Barn Home · More Info

The Grantham Lakehouse · More Info

Property: top red oval is where the barn is. Bottom red oval is home site.

Home Site:

Latest draft:

Things to note:

- - Kitchen – wanted view to the garden and driveway. Planning one large island but nothing is set in stone. I bought a slab of an old bowling
alley lane to create an island with. Dining area won't block the pantry, we will just have a small table there. Large dinners will be hosted outside or in the barn in most cases.

- - Playroom upstairs – planning on some sort of
half or interesting wall there instead just of a typical loft railing or a solid wall.

- - There was a lot of back and forth on the clouds, but I think I am happy with them.

- Home with face east/south east.

As far as the process, it's been very easy to work with Doug. I had a good idea of what I wanted and he nailed it pretty quickly.

Let me know if you have any feedback. Once I have plans back from the draftsman I
will start another post to be added to through construction. I will also post in the kitchen forum then.

Thanks!

J

Comments (19)

• shayr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If I were building new and not just doing an addition on my current home- I would be doing exactly this. It's wonderful! I love the simple shape and the cupola! And I just have to say, I love the artistry of ARGs drawings, I'd be framing one for my place for sure! Congrats and can't wait to follow your build:)

jkliveng thanked shayr
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

I think it might need a cloud over on the right side.

I think the design is wonderful overall, and love how it picks up on the barn look. I could easily live in that house.

A few minor things:

I personally don't like walking into a bedroom at the head of the bed on the side. YMMV.

It might be nice IMO to have a door from the bedroom hallway between the closets out to the mudroom/laundry area. I did that with my bathroom and now that the house is being built, I love having the second way in and out of the dressing/bathing area. In fact, I believe it was Doug who suggested the idea to me.

Last thing is I personally would prefer the door to the pantry in the hallway to give me a larger wall for hanging art or putting a buffet or...

But I must say, it looks like Doug has come through again in a big way. And I love how he's integrated the exterior and interior so well.

jkliveng thanked cpartist
  • mark1993
    6 years ago

Beautiful design! Love it.

jkliveng thanked mark1993
  • Pensacola PI
    6 years ago

Looks great, CONGRATS! Doug is currently tweaking our original design to work with our lot. Actually just received the first draft yesterday. As you know, Doug is great to work with and distance knows no boundaries when working with him. Very straight forward and easy process. Doug has tremendous talent and we are lucky to have our home designed by him.

jkliveng thanked Pensacola PI
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Less is More...and simplicity is genius! You've got 'em both! Congratulations to you and to ARG!

jkliveng thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • alley2007
    6 years ago

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

jkliveng thanked alley2007
  • chispa
    6 years ago

A playroom upstairs sounds great, but in real life isn't as practical. When kids are little (and when they are older) you really want the playroom to be visible from the room you spend most of your time in.

When you are busy making dinner you will have no idea what your toddler(s) are doing (sticking a toy into an electrical outlet) or what your teen(s) are doing (watching youtube videos instead of doing homework).

Our playroom is on the main floor, in the back of the house, connected to the family room, with a door that remains open most of the time. From the kitchen I can see the 2 computers and what the teens are doing online. Previous owners had a pool table in the room. Once youngest is off to college in a few years I might move my desk/PC in there, but you could do anything with a room on the first floor.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Are you planning to use the loft yourself as a home office? I mean, for home records, etc, planning, etc?

I think you're fine with the playroom. Actually, the kid(s) will play wherever they want to. But an older kid will be happy to be up or down stairs while a baby is with you, wherever you are. I just know I like being able to wake up at 1am and see the light spilling under the teen's door. Well, I don't like that the light is there, but at least I know I need to tell a kid to turn off his light already.

• Architectrunnerguy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Fun project that was a little bit different. And fun owners too! He owns a paintball business. Love doing that so I'll have to come down and shoot off a round or two!

From looking at her exterior ideas started out with an initial concept

Had a long talk over that and then I came back with a more refined drawing (TWO clouds here!):

And then fine tuned it from there. A simple rectangle with a straight bearing wall down the middle. Not really a fan of two story spaces but this one could be kinda neat (sorry for the use of a highly technical design phrase) with the barn look and all.

The garage was not part of the program but I set it up so they could either build it now (I highly recommend it) or later if they wanted it at all.

• jkliveng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

CP - will play around with the bed on the walls. A door to the hall from the closets sounds great, we will play with that too. I had Doug move the pantry door, it may be a last minute decision but I prefer it on the kitchen side. thanks!

Chispa/BP - It will probably serve a few purposes early on. I'd like to get most toys out of my toddlers room and she's going into the age of train tables/kitchens and crafting. I grew up with a playroom that was out of sight so I'm aware of all that comes with it. Between a playroom, 15 acres, and a basement; the kids will have options.

Thanks for the additional write up Doug!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

The house has great bones inside and out. And it's clear that the house was conceived by considering both inside and out together throughout the design process. Once the "good bones" are established, one can always fine tune here or there. Good work, everyone!

jkliveng thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Clouds?!?! Slowly I turned . . . step by step . . . inch by inch . . .

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

I love it. ARG...your talent is phenomenal.

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

I love the artistry of ARGs drawings, I'd be framing one for my place for sure! Congrats and can't wait to follow your build:)

There's a thought. Mark, I may need a framable drawing (with clouds!) to hang IN the house, once it's done...

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Wow, great job! If I ever build a second house (NOT in the plans - still haven't finished with the first one!), I'm looking up ARG... though we may come to blows on clouds!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I've been practicing.

• Stan B
    6 years ago

Are there more bedrooms in the basement?

• jkliveng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Stan - maybe, depends on how the family grows. Planning a turfed sports room, movie room, and storage for sure. Maybe a guest suite. I'm a fan of kids sharing rooms

thanks everyone!