Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Pavers on lanai patio--bad smell after rain...help...

loves2read
10 years ago
We had the original patio/lanai concrete surface redone with pavers at our vacation house in FL this spring. The installation company did a horrible job with the patio work but good job with the driveway. We had them totally resand the lanai pavers which were the thinner remodeling style but there are still areas where the sanding between the seams is not even and there is spot on patio where water seems to stand vs run toward the drain...
One side of the drain doesn't really work--I ran water into it and never saw any come out that side into the drain area outside the pool cage.
Problem is that after some very heavy rains in Sept when we weren't there, we came back and there was horrible stink on the lanai. We couldn't spend any time on it until we had put vinegar (didn't have bleach in the house) in the drains and run water from the hose through it...
The rain obviously has stopped by then...but it took more than a day for the smell to go away so we could stay outside.
My question is could water be holding UNDER the pavers and turning stagnant?
There can be good bit of rain in our area and I don't know if we will have this problem in future...we can't really take up the pavers to check underneath w/o tearing up that part of the patio...
And the company that did the install I am sorry to say is pretty worthless...
This is example of how poorly they did the sanding...

Comments (2)