Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Premier Episode of My Houzz with Ashton Kutcher!

Emily H
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey all,

Today we launched the very first episode of My Houzz featuring Ashton Kutcher and a surprise remodel for his mom, just in time for Mother's Day.

Have you seen it? Would love to hear what you thought!

http://www.houzz.com/myhouzz

Comments (39)

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

I'm headed to part 2. :) I really like this a lot. Great advertisement too. The Houzz is getting bigger, that's great! There's so much to learn and great things to purchase too. Good luck guys.....I hope it takes off! :)

• Mark
    8 years ago

What a sweet and loving gift Ashton gave to his Mom. Between Ashton, Houzz and Catherine Renae Thomas Design Co. they made Magic happen !
    Everyone should watch this video.
    What a great son and his Mom's reaction brought tears to my eyes.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i loved all the parts and sobbed along with his mom at the end. hope its all she dreamed of.

• Emily H
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Mark Mine too!

• armygirl1987
    8 years ago

Loved it...

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I gave up too. More like stuttering than streaming. I'll try later.

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Well, I finally managed to watch all the videos. Definitely a tearjerker. A very touching story. The basement looked fantastic, the designer did an amazing job. I loved the neutrals, with texture added for interest. The fireplace was great, and the light brought to the space was great too. Oh, and the bar space, perfect for a family gathering. I could go on and on..... I'll wish you much success with this. I would love to watch a Houzz series. So glad I found this site. Congrats Houzz! :)

• Janelle Babington
    8 years ago

I love your mom's reaction! The basement looks beautiful! You have a wonderful family! This was fun to watch.

• Angelika
    8 years ago

Watched it and love it. Great story, great emotions, had to hold back tears at the end. My best wishes to Ashton and his whole family.

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago
    Great video. Got a kick out of the guys not wearing masks while they were doing demo. Love the Midwest!
  • Avery
    8 years ago

Enjoyed every minute of it. :-)

• J J
    8 years ago
    joy!
  • Diana Starr
    8 years ago

I found myself in tears over the tender gesture while watching the videos. It isn't necessarily the house that makes a home, but the love and kindness within. I could see how touched your mother was. You and your step dad now have another memory; one new, but not replacing the old. However, this had to be some time ago, because we have not had snow in Iowa for some time now. Beautiful. I'm going to have to try out this Houzz.

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    8 years ago

Aww! It played fine just now, and the space was so thoughtfully executed and appointed. What a sweet family. I'm cracking up remembering the recliner poll -- so fun to see it in action from the OP's POV, and actually really love the ones they chose. Great interpretation and team leadership Catherine. Cheers to Diane and Mark!

(Was that Kevin Spacey singing us out?)

• Emily H
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad it was playing well for you now! If anyone still has issues, please shoot us a message through support.houzz.com with your browser and version information so we can try to reproduce the issue and get it solved. Thanks for watching!!

• unwantedadvice
    8 years ago
    What a wonderful video of Ashton Kutcher's basement makeover for his mother. It turned out great and now looks so light and airy. The remodeling and subsequent decorating was a delight to watch. Kudos to everyone involved.
  • pmcc4
    8 years ago
    Won't play on my iPad
  • Julie Adler
    8 years ago
    Fabulous tribute to what a home is
  • Sarah Willits
    8 years ago
    Would love to watch it but can't get it to work on the ipad.
  • Sdhauck
    8 years ago

I really enjoyed it! What a special gift to his mom and what a loving step-father! Loved the format - was able to watch all episodes with no problems and on my own timeline.

• 1beth58
    8 years ago
    Won't play on my iPad, either.
  • Sharon Tam
    8 years ago

So enjoyable! That's actually why I'm over here in the "advice" section now...I didn't even know this existed on Houzz!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I think this whole thing could have been done in one 1 hour program .

• Kathy Klouda
    8 years ago

Watched all the episodes and loved it. Would like to see more Houzz series like this.

• User
    8 years ago

I loved the whole process! It was very well executed and fun to follow in short time frame. It should have came with a *Kleenex alert* ;)

• pegjustpeg
    8 years ago

Finally able to load last night! Was well worth it. The designer worked with the family so well and didn't try to push all her ideas on them, yet guided the in their decisions. Very well done! Loved the outcome of the basement and Mom's reaction was priceless. Such a loving family

• Patti McNab
    8 years ago

LOVED IT....lovely home and family.

• nitpicker
    8 years ago

I'm impressed with the gesture. Very nice thing to do. Not impressed with the show. Did the program need to be so long or was it Producer designed to bleed time? How many times was Houzz mentioned-- five/ten/more? We get it, it's your show. I'm curious about who approached who for the initial contact? More to the point, who paid for what? Was this a Houzz perk generated by Mr. Kutcher's celebrity? Is there a reason the siblings weren't involved? Congratulations for the work performed by all, but it all seems so contrived what with production crews in several locations. Look, this type of remodel has been done before and we all know how it's going to turn out. "Oh my God.....!" Good on the family, all the best, but this is not for me -- especially should it be a promotional program launch stunt using a high visibility person. (Where's the private comment link?)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

nitpicker, you have the most appropriate screen name ever.

• sonjabonja
    8 years ago
    Can't even open the vid on my iPad. You need to get this set up better if you want this format to work for everyone.
  • jill dushey
    8 years ago

I watched all the episodes and loved! I liked seeing how they used Houzz to make everything possible. I'd love to see more episodes.

• User
    8 years ago

Grover- you know it is all in the details, right?;)

• nova7751
    8 years ago

Nitpicker.......chill! I thought it was great and fun to watch. Yes, it may have been promotional, but, it was not too long, in my opinion, and it was lovely to see Ashton and his relationship with his family as well as the outcome of the renovation. Take it for what it is.....a before and after view of a Reno that utilized a great site; Houzz.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Yes, Margo, always the details. Let me put in another word for the promotional aspect. I thought it was great the way Ashton showed us how he used houzz to do an actual reno. I am always telling people with design dilemmas to start some ideabooks. And beyond being enjoyable to watch, I suspect this video will be useful to many.

• Michelle Jones
    8 years ago

I love it!!! It was brilliantly done!

• plschense
    6 years ago

The video won't work for me.

• PRO
    Vmarkel
    6 years ago
    thank you