Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k_kouvelas

Should I take the chance to whitewash fireplace?? (PICS Included)

Kayla
5 years ago

Hi guys!!

First of all, recently discovered this discussion board and am in total heaven. Looking forward to learning lots from everyone on their projects!

So I am doing long overdue renovations on the house as my Husband is on a work trip and can't argue with me LOL. I recently painted my living room finally covering the dark chocolate brown paint that was driving me nuts. Its now beach glass by BM and brightened the room up so much!!! BUT now my fireplace sticks out like a sore thumb from the 1980s. I do want to make a wooden mantel for it, and that will be in the works soon but was wondering if I should joanne-gaines-it-up and whitewash it? Thoughts? Should I bite the bullet?

Excuse the plain mantel display, cleared it off while i was painting.

Comments (146)

• PN _Bos
    5 years ago

Following b/c i can't wait to see it!!! It's going to look AMAZING!

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

I'm going to do my front stairs on my house, can't wait to see how your's look. I'm going to use a tan wash on it first to see if I like it.

• Nelle Corcoran
    5 years ago
    Here are before and after pictures of my fireplace. It made a huge difference and so glad I did it. I hope you're happy with your results, too. Can't wait to see.
  • Laurie Gordon
    5 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the new look.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    UPDATE TIME

Ok so, things didn’t go as planned but it was a good thing. After starting to do the German schmear with white mortar,I realized the technique I was using was right but the style of my brick wasn’t going to work with the look that I wanted to achieve. (picture A & B)

Luckily my sister was over to help so we both took a step back and debated on wether to keep going, paint over it, apply mortar more heavily to cover most of the ugly brick style. So we picked the last option! We figured Mortar would still give it a variety of texture and look. We covered the brick with bits of it popping out.(Pics C & D)

Super happy with how it’s looking. The mantel is not done because I’m making a mantel wood case out of barnyard lumber. I still have to complete the rest but thought I’d give you a sneak peak. I’m going to sand some mortar down to the brick and etc. The next time I post it will be with the new mantel :)
  • Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ugh it loaded the pics in a jumbled order but I think you guys can figure it out lol
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago

You have been going at it! I assume that you are going to apply a second coat. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project.

• natesg
    5 years ago

I’m really glad you’re happy with it too. I’m sure it was a lot of work. Keep the progress pictures coming.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

It looks great so far! You're fast! Will it be completed before the Mr. gets back home?

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Sorry, didn't read all your thread, but are you going to mount the TV above the mantel? I think that would look really great!

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another update. Guysss I’m loving it!!! I need to do the sides but other then that...eek!! Wooden mantel and decor...it’s going to be gorgeous.

Laura I thought about Tv on mantel but I feel weird about it as my couch can’t shift further over to have the tv in the centre of the view from the couch :/
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yowsa! SO great with your wall color. You can actually see the detail more in the fireplace than you could with it in its natural state. Good job!

• Newenglandgardenerct
    5 years ago

Kayla, I hate to be a party pooper, but do you use that wood stove insert, or is it a gas fireplace? A wood mantel with a working wood stove would require a deflector because of the heat generated by the stove.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Teressa—it’s a gas fire place. I never knew you could put a wood stove/fireplace in like that!
  • Newenglandgardenerct
    5 years ago

We heat/have hot water for a 1900 sq. foot house with 2.5 cords of wood and 300 gallons or oil in new england. Not really styled right now LOL

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Beautiful job Kayla, you nailed it.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So this is my last update until I get the mantel piece put on. Items on the mantel are just what I had around, but I didn’t want to stare at a naked mantel for the weekend haha. Hubby is coming home in 1 hour!!! Hope he likes it as much as I do.

**mind the random wood in the basket—my toddler insisted lol
  • lshack17
    5 years ago
    Looks great, Kayla! Nice work and thanks for sharing the updates with us.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Looks great. Hope Hubby likes it.

• 1beth58
    5 years ago
    Nice work!
  • olychick
    5 years ago

Gorgeous!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed. Looks really, really great. Way better than any painting.

Can you post a link to directions?

• natesg
    5 years ago

Looks lovely. I can’t believe you did all that with a toddler at home too. What did hubby say?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

• jlj48
    5 years ago

I really like what you’ve done to your fireplace and I don’t typically like painted fireplaces (and I’ve got a painted one, came with the house ). Fantastic job! Thanks for all the updates!

• cat_mom
    5 years ago

Looks great!

• Joe P
    5 years ago

You made a great choice!

• Laurie Gordon
    5 years ago

You've done good girl. I hope hubby likes it as much as you.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @nosoccermom

Girl I have no real link to give you as I took all the techniques I found off Pinterest and just went for it lol!!

I used White mortar from Home Depot, mixed it with water and made random batches so sometimes it was honey consistency and others it was peanut butter consistency. At first I used a grout applicator to spread it onto the brick but it wasn’t getting into my deep grout and brick patterns. I grabbed a pair of thick gloves and ended up using my hands! I’d smear mortar into the fireplace grout lines with my finger to fill it in and then I’d grab a handful of mortar and smear it over each brick. To add a bit of randomness to it I’d take the grout applicator and do a big X onto the recently applied mortar. It helped expose some little bit of brick and make the mortar not look so consistent and sometimes I’d use a rag over bricks as well. Again I was going for a “perfectly imperfect” look so not all grout lines are totally white (previously had grey) and I didn’t sand it after. Once I did another once over of random X with grout applicator I vacuumed all the access mortar. So it’s easy but very grueling and time consuming..but so worth it!!! I’m giving it a day or two to dry 100% and then sealing it with a matte polycrylic finish. Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh and Hubby loves it! He can’t believe how different and bright the room looks now :)
  • Kelli H
    5 years ago
    I vote for a painted fireplace.
  • Dawn Reid
    5 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Just wondering if the mortar flakes off.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @oaktonmom if I aggressively hit it with the grout applicator it has flakes but it’s really caked on. My kid drove his fire truck all over it (eye roll) and nothing came off. I’m going to seal it with 2 coats polycrylic once I’m done touching the rest of the fireplace up, which will give it a good coat of protection.
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Thanks. Nice job!

• teeda
    5 years ago

Wow, it looks so much better in white--really brings out the character of the fireplace. Once you add the wood mantle it will be amazing. Congratulations!

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Way to go Kayla! Great job. So much better

• Karen
    5 years ago
    Looks great!
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

Looks great. Are you sure polycrylic is a good idea over the mortar? It might give it an unnatural sheen and make it difficult to touch up or change in the future. Just wondering.

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m hoping if I get polycrylic in matte it will not give it a wet brick look
  • Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a update on the look of the room so far! Mantel Cap should be ready any day. Now focusing on wall decor ^_^

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• Denita
    5 years ago

You're selling right? It is different when you are selling than when you are decorating for yourselves.

When selling, edit, edit, edit. Fewer items on the walls is better. No family photos. You want the potential buyers to mentally put themselves in your home with their stuff. If you have lots of family photos and wall decor, it makes it difficult for the buyers when they are walking through your home.

If you aren't selling, let me know. It's pretty easy to mix up a thread or two :)

• Kayla
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Denita for the FYI :) not selling though lol

• Olychick
    5 years ago

With your little one being at the toddling stage, I might think about lining the edge of the hearth with some temporary foam guard. Could save some teeth or prevent a nasty cut from the brick. Most I've see is dark brown, which wouldn't add a lot to the decor, but maybe the make a lighter color, too. And it's only a temporary measure.

Hope you'll post again when the mantel is installed. It looks great so far!

• nhb22
    5 years ago

Looks wonderful! I love that you did this when your DH was away. :)

My sister-in-law painted her kitchen and foyer ceilings a light blue when my brother was out-of-town. And I have a friend who left town and then returned home to find that her husband had filled in their swimming pool because he was tired of the maintenance. Yikes! The pool was only a few years old. But they now have a beautiful backyard. :)

• Karen
    5 years ago

Kayla, wondering if the mantel is finished? :-)

• mshutterbug
    5 years ago
    Love the updated photos. Would love to see mantel!
  • mshutterbug
    5 years ago
    Love the updated photos. Would love to see mantel!
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH