Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

Spring 2019 Raleigh Swap, special side-trade list

brenda_near_eno
5 years ago

This is not the main swap post. John, our fearless leader, posts the date of the General Swap, the main event. Some people set up special side trades too. If you are side-trading, feel free to post what you are looking for and what you will have to offer.

Comments (987)

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I brought that tomato. I did bring other varieties: Tropic also from Southern Exposure, Veepro, a tomato paste, also a tart cherry tomato, and a heirloom variety that gets the size of a marble and is like eating a bit of sugar tomato heaven. Sorry the tag went missing. I know the heirloom marble sized one has smaller sized leaves.... other then that it’s toss up.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Lorabell, your tomatoes are fabulous. Mine are definitely not up to your quality. Thanks. I'll keep track of them.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

Screenwriter, thanks.

Gail, your rose loves it’s new home, Many thanks.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    4 years ago

After the clusters die, prune back to to 5 or 7 leaf joint to make it rebloom faster.

I got home Sunday and several of my roses had decided to start blooming.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Jaimie, your Red Velvet Elvis bloomed today, and it is just gorgeous! Thanks.

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    4 years ago

Hollyclyff, and other Sedum fans - here's some feedback related to our discussion on S. 'Lemon Coral' (dis)similarity to 'Angelina':

Sedum rupestre 'Lemon Ball'
    Other interest: very similar to 'Angelina' only brighter foliage and more mounded, virtually identical to Lemon Coral (Proven Winners program); species name was formerly reflexum

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What a lovely rain to soak all the newly planted goodies from the swap!

• Jaimie
    4 years ago

Screenwriter, yay! I'm glad you like it :)

Got this nice picture of spring life in my garden earlier (can see a bunch of red velvets blooming above the creeping jenny patch). I'd love to see more pictures of other's gardens! (Of course this one is biased and cutting out some mess behind me)

Whoever brought this blue flag iris (I think?) to a previous swap a few years ago... thank you!!!! I love it, and it loves me!

Brenda, your prunus mumes.... how big do they get? I got one last fall swap (or maybe it was spring) and it's growing fast... I just found out my other one grows 25' tall and is absolutely in the wrong spot to get that big, so if yours gets that sizeable... I needa move it ASAP

• Jaimie
    4 years ago

Ralph, sorry I didn't include a tag on it, but the bulbish thing in your pot is a Drimiopsis 'slow fade'

It gets these cute little ledebouria like flowers. Supposed to be hardy here and mine did get through last winter, but not sure if it would get through a harder winter or not. Also, that pot you had with the mystery bulb... is it a pineapple lily? Just saw one coming up in garden and realized it had a bulb similar to yours.

Also, I'm really surprised, but looks like Aphrodite's Purple Nightie started blooming already! Didn't realize it earlier, but looks like its an caerulea cross so that makes sense

Also, I found a garden eel hiding last night!

• pambucol
    4 years ago

Pretty pix Jamie.

Vlad

4 years ago

Jaimie, I think that might have been me. I brought a few bunches of a similar iris a few years ago.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Jaimie, does the peachlet like full sun or part shade?

• karen__w z7 NC
    4 years ago

Love my swap roses.

• Jaimie
    4 years ago

Countrygirl, do you know what it is? Poking around some more I think it might be a siberian iris (Iris siberica) rather than the various blue flags (the pictures that matched were iris versicolor, but their leaves are wrong)

Screenwriter, mine are in full sun, and looks like most recommendations online are also full sun... Ralph has the same ones though, so he might have in part sun.

• Ralph Whisnant
    4 years ago

Dwarf ornamental peach trees are full sun. My next plant sale starts Thursday. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/d/raleigh-plant-sale-thurs-2-to-7-pm-fri/6873895976.html

I am always open to trading if you contact me ahead of time.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

Ralph,

Will you be doing your sale again anytime after Mother’s Day?

• pambucol
    4 years ago

OH man, you have a lot of cool stuff Ralph. We will see if we can make it Saturday.

Vlad

4 years ago

Jaimie, if they are mine, then they are Dutch irises. I had two different, but similar varieties. I may be able to find the name of them. Ironically my last clump did not come back this year.

4 years ago

Ralph, I wish I could make a second trip to Raleigh! I meant to get some of the coleus! Maybe in the fall or next spring.

• Ralph Whisnant
    4 years ago

I will bring some when we come to Greenville.

• Ralph Whisnant
    4 years ago

Lorabelle, I have to do one more. I have too many plants to keep watered plus I have some things that were not ready for this sale.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

Yea. Car trip!

Are you sick of Begonias yet? I’ve Red Fred and several others to share...

• karen__w z7 NC
    4 years ago

Oh my, that Red Fred is striking. And looking it up took me to an online nursery where fortunately, a lot of the species begonias are out of stock.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

I’m doing a lot of leaf propagation of my begonias in preparation of me being out of country for about 6 weeks this summer and having little confidence in my DH or helper to keep the mamas alive. Good time to give me requests- I’m guessing ready for next Spring.

ID Anyone?

Its only about a foot tall, dainty greenery, looks kinda like a miniature Crocosmia?

• karen__w z7 NC
    4 years ago

Lorabell, that’s Anomatheca laxa. I’ve brought it to the swap in the past. Aka Freesia laxa.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

Sweet! Thanks and I love it.

4 years ago

Karen_W, what is that rose?

• karen__w z7 NC
    4 years ago

Gail, that’s Veilchenblau, that I rooted from a cutting from Tammy years ago.

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

Hosta200 please let me know when the carnivorous plants are available.

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

Anyone know where I can get Sansevieria Masoniana from?

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

Do anyone know where I can buy a variegated monstera? If anyone has one and are willing to make me a starter pot I will pay for it.

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

Ralph by any chance do you have a variegated monstera with the slits in the leaves for sale?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Jaimie, I rooted he 'Lady Margaret' cuttings and potted them up, but one has a tiny yellow bud. Do you have another plant close by with yellow flowers?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Lorabell, this spring you brought Ralph a begonia with a special curled leaf. Would you please start one for me. Thanks.

• Jaimie
    4 years ago

Screenwriter, no I don't have any yellow passionflowers and few other yellow flowers in general... could you post a picture?

I wonder if it's a bud that's dying off.... I'm also surprised it's trying to bloom already, my Lady Margarets don't look like they'll bloom any time soon

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

Screenwriter, I made babies of all the begonias I gave Ralph. I believe the curled leaf one you’re referring to is Cooks Swirl.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

That's awesome, Lorabell. Please let me know what you would like.

Jaimie, the plant is blooming now. I think it may be kerria. I don't know how to take a picture and move it to this site.

• Jaimie
    4 years ago

Screenwriter, it's probably the kerria then, they have ridges on small little leaves... Here's a picture of mine back in March

To submit photos, there's a button above submit post on phone, on pc I think it's the same, but can also copy/paste one

Lady Margaret looks like this (though could be incarnata)

• Ralph Whisnant
    4 years ago

Thinking of Plants, I do not grow Monstera plants.

4 years ago

Lorabell, a word of caution: it doesn't look like your Senecio candicans is very happy in the organic soil it came in, even with limited watering - leaves drooping and die off. Trying to save it by transplanting to a sandy mix but roots appear mushy.

• karen__w z7 NC
    4 years ago

Lester, I've got my Senecio candicans in a pot with my basic mix of pine fines, perlite, and potting soil with some permatill added for additional drainage. Not what I'd put my xeric things in, but still well draining. I actually had to water it during those really hot, dry days, and it seems very happy now with all the rain we're getting.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

I put mine in an unwatered/full sun area ( I’m Sandhills so mostly sand with a couple inches leaf mulch) and have watered it maybe 2 times total since planting it - (during our 95/100 degree two weeks period). It looked a bit wilted in the evenings but perked up in AMs. Checked it this morning and is happy and has put out a couple babies as well. I’ll be sure and bring you a replacement! It likes my neglect!

4 years ago

How are the divisions of Arundo 'Peppermint Stick' doing for those who received them at this swap? Ours first sprouted very vigorous and fresh stems but after several weeks they withered and died off (still kept in pots in partial shade and watered moderately). This suggests that the growth was driven by internal reserves accumulated in the tubers but could not be sustained long term due to poor rooting - the tubers had little or no roots of their own.

• lorabell_gw
    4 years ago

I received 2 sticks and planted about 6 ft apart. The first has no growth- but I’m hopeful. The second stalk dried up but I have great offshoot growth.

im holding up the old dried shoot as reference. The new shoot about 18inched tall.

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

Ralph, do you have a plant called butterbur/fuki? Its in the coltsfoot family.

• thinkingofplants
    4 years ago

CasaLester, mine died back rather quickly but I still left it in the ground where I originally planted it. Hopeful that maybe it'll root and come back next year.

• Katie Richardson
    4 years ago

CasaLester, I wonder if the warm, wet April then subsequently bone dry, no humidity, May had any effect. My newly planted things have been suffering and I was watering everything weekly until the dry spell broke in June. I also have had two Disporum give up the ghost and I suspect this was the problem despite my best efforts. :(

This year was terrible in some regards and wonderful in others. My bearded iris never looked better in May thanks to the dry heat giving them a good bake, but my dogwoods and Japanese maples all have fungal leaf spots thanks to the very warm and wet early Spring/late Winter.

4 years ago

According to this interesting video about Arundo propagation, rooting takes place at nodes, so internode cuttings are actually good propagation material. This suggests that if a stem is severed at ground level, without any roots, it is likely to end up being cut above the root node and the next higher node may be above ground when such a stem is planted vertically. In such a case a spurt of growth from the stem's remaining reserves could occur but it would not be followed by root formation and the stem would die off. Those stems that survive would be likely cut deep enough to preserve enough of the root node to be able to form new roots.

So to obtain more successful propagation of Arundo, two paths could be followed: 1, deeper digs and divisions containing larger chunks of tubers with roots and rooting nodes; 2, stem cuttings with exposed nodes laid flat on the rooting medium, like in the video. The stems that we received at the swap seem to fall in the crack of not having enough roots to be bona fide divisions on one side, and not having a buried internode to be able to root as cuttings on the other side.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Brenda, the Chinese snowball 'Sterile' lost all its leaves. Would you please start another for me for the fall swap? Thanks.

brenda_near_eno thanked Screenwriter
    4 years ago

Hollyclyff's pink Crinum already blooming (middle right), next to regular C. bulbispermum from Elsie Narron (top center, middle left):

Sponsored